Golfers Thread

Gaz

26 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Seems like a really worthwhile endeavour for Poulter to go to court to get permission to play.

And getting totally starved of tv/press interviews etc at the actual event his ego won't like it 

On 06/07/2022 at 19:16, doulikefish said:

Anybody heading to archerfield this week? 

I'm off on Friday so might make the effort however weather's meant to be stonking so may opt for a 36holer day 

We went yesterday and had a great day. As usual with this event able to get really close to players even with such a strong line up.  

01F61A80-B73F-4C4A-9B40-338D50270D30.jpeg

Looks like really tough going today. Morikawa playing like he did on the Sunday last year and we know how that turned out a week later.

A lot of the big names are looking dodgy for the cut.

Looks like really tough going today. Morikawa playing like he did on the Sunday last year and we know how that turned out a week later.

A lot of the big names are looking dodgy for the cut.
I had him as my stick on bet for the open last year, but after how badly he struggled at the Scottish, including changing his putting stroke completely during the final round, I left him off my betting slip. [emoji85]

7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Loads of big names missing the cut, Poulter the most hilarious of those.

I don't suppose many of them will be too bothered if they can get a bit of extra time in at St Andrews. 

Five Scottish players made the cut with Connor Syme the best of them at - 1. Warren, Law, Ferguson and Knox all made it through right on the mark. 

Noticed that Scott Jamieson and David Drysdale were in the field for the Barbasol Championship on the PGA Tour as part of the "strategic alliance".

Unfortunately Drysdale has WD, but Jamieson is -6 after a 67 today and tied 30th.

Bumped into a couple of Americans in Glasgow last night who were over for a month long Scottish golf trip. Think they told us they had 16 different courses already booked and hoped to fit in a few more, most of them in the North East. They are playing Gullane 2 on Monday and seemed genuinely interested in my long, drawn out story about how I lipped out for eagle on one of the par 5s there. 

It was good to see how absolutely buzzing these guys were to come and play golf here though. They were playing Gullane and North Berwick, before going up the coast to play Cruden Bay, Murcar Links and Dornoch, amongst others which I forget. One of them was in his 60s and said he played off 6, the other was a good few years younger and played off 10. Neither of them have ever set foot in Scotland before and you could tell by the way they spoke about the golf courses that they truly believe they are in the middle of doing something magical, almost mythical.

When me and my friend told them we managed to play the Old Course twice last year they could hardly believe us. Obviously they can’t get on the Old Course at the moment, but they both said they would try their best to come back one day and play it, and I really hope they do. We don’t realise how lucky we are to be a car journey away from some of the most highly regarded courses on the planet. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

18 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Max Homa seems to be a golf geek, after finishing yesterday he went straight to North Berwick for a round there.

A refreshing change from the "golf is a job" rubbish churned out by some recently.