Golfers Thread

Gaz

6 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

Since the WHS came in, it's been pointed out that the CSS has never once moved at my club for any competition. This weekend we had 155 players playing, 3 were under handicap (two at 2 under, one at 1 under), one played to handicap. The rest were over handicap including 39 NRs. Almost half the field (75) were at least 8 shots over handicap. This seems utterly ridiculous and the word is that this is a problem affecting all clubs in Scotland.  Has anyone else noticed this or actually had any movements in the CSS at their clubs?

Screenshot_20220704_004758_com.android.chrome.jpg

Ours never gives adjustments either. 

11 hours ago, peasy23 said:

It's got the shittest spot on the calendar, but laughably LIV tried to use the comparative strength of fields this week to point score.

Poston should have this in the bag unless he keels over.

Yes the point scoring by LIV is cringeworthy in all honesty. Suspect it won’t be repeated next week when 9 of the world top 10 are playing in the Scottish Open.  
I’d imagine Norman will be desperate for one of the LIV players to win the open at the home of golf. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

8 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

Since the WHS came in, it's been pointed out that the CSS has never once moved at my club for any competition. This weekend we had 155 players playing, 3 were under handicap (two at 2 under, one at 1 under), one played to handicap. The rest were over handicap including 39 NRs. Almost half the field (75) were at least 8 shots over handicap. This seems utterly ridiculous and the word is that this is a problem affecting all clubs in Scotland.  Has anyone else noticed this or actually had any movements in the CSS at their clubs?

We had a PCC adjustment in a medal a few weeks back when from recall only one player from the entire field had a nett score which was under par. I think it has happened on one other occasion since WHS came in but not certain about that. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

9 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

This is pretty much my only gripe with WHS, which overall I think is brilliant. It is very frustrating though that you can go out and play in no wind & bright sun one day, then driving wind & rain the next and have two wildly different scores but nothing to compensate for it.

10 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

CSS technically doesn't exist any more as there's no Standard Scratch, however there are moves afoot to relax the rigidity of the PCC adjustment:

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/controversial-world-handicap-system-calculation-faces-overhaul

It's ridiculous that Medals with 100+ entrants played in weather which historically would have seen the CSS up by 2 or 3 from the SSS has had not a flicker on the PCC.

17 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

42 Stableford points for me today. Out in level par with 7 pars, one birdie and one bogey for 23 points. 19 points on the back 9 despite getting no points on the 10th courtesy of a triple bogey. Delighted that I didn’t allow that to derail  me and I played very nicely thereafter. 

Mexican with sombrero, pistols, and banner with text "bandit" | Cartoon  people, Comic books art, Bandit

Played 54 holes over the weekend.

Finished 3rd in the Monthly Medal at Ladybank on Saturday with a really steady round for nett 70, then hacked my way round Tulliallan for a just-about acceptable nett 74 (overall Handicap Index movement = -0.1 😐).

Suffice to say I wasn't at my best for a 4BBB open at Tulliallan yesterday, but still had to carry my partner who had an absolute shocker for the front nine and didn't contribute a single hole. We normally do pretty well in this format, but this year the prizes were a distant speck on the horizon...

17 hours ago, doulikefish said:

The hole with the viaduct view is get the cameras out time as has been mentioned but it ain't cheap but a lovely track if it's a sunny day 

That's a great hole, but I can't remember a single other thing about the course 😆

Played the Roxburghe a couple of times a few years back when they had Open Days when you could play for a tenner a head, which felt like a cracking deal.

Screenshot_20220704_004758_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.e414f55addf7846c3cde47cb536ace44.jpg
Posted similar the other week, think we had 110 players and only 3 or 4 nett under par. At no point does there seem to have been any thought to apply the playing conditions adjustment.

Our course is closed this week as we are hosting the Scottish Under 16s Boys Championship. An international field including boys playing off +6.

The folk who have been up watching practice today have said the ability levels are off the scale. Seems the French boys have a stinking level of arrogance though, with replacing divots and raking bunkers beneath them.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Give it to Paul Lawrie 

36C42D58-D5E5-475A-9147-DE22B859BC82.jpeg

As a player Stenson fits right into the category of player LIV are attracting. All his mates from the Ryder Cup are there and he did lose a fortune to a dodgy investment scheme a few years back so the security would be attractive to him.

It would be a bit of a coup to tempt the captain of the European Ryder Cup team to cross over though.

If he goes I expect Luke Donald will be made captain.

As we've mentioned on here, the guys on the LIV who don't have any major exemptions are going to struggle to qualify as their OWGR tanks. Here's how it looks from one of the No Laying Up podcast guys on Twitter.

Just to add to the above, Poulter was 50th at the time of the DP Tour Championship last autumn, he's now 100th. The likes if Westwood and Mickelson won't be far behind in dropping out the top 100. DJ is now the highest ranked LIV player at 17th, but he has lots of points dropping off soon.

Must be a bit strange at the JP McManus Pro-Am at Adare Manor with a mixture of LIV, DP and PGA Tour players involved. And then you add Monahan and Pelley into the mix as they are both playing.

Jordan Speith managed to get DQ'd as he got caught up in the pro-am element and forgot to putt out on one of the holes.

Tiger hit a 5 over 77, but he was a shot better than Matt Fitzpatrick.

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Must be a bit strange at the JP McManus Pro-Am at Adare Manor with a mixture of LIV, DP and PGA Tour players involved. And then you add Monahan and Pelley into the mix as they are both playing.

Jordan Speith managed to get DQ'd as he got caught up in the pro-am element and forgot to putt out on one of the holes.

Tiger hit a 5 over 77, but he was a shot better than Matt Fitzpatrick.

I was wondering what Speith must've done to be DQ'd.

Yeah I was looking at the field and thought it must be a bit of an uncomfortable environment considering it's a pro-am. 

I see Poulter is hoping that the LIV players will get some sort of legal ruling overturning their ban from the Scottish Open tomorrow. Of course, that would then presumably knock about a dozen current DP/PGA Tour players out of the field and you can imagine the reaction to that. 

I was wondering what Speith must've done to be DQ'd.
Yeah I was looking at the field and thought it must be a bit of an uncomfortable environment considering it's a pro-am. 
I see Poulter is hoping that the LIV players will get some sort of legal ruling overturning their ban from the Scottish Open tomorrow. Of course, that would then presumably knock about a dozen current DP/PGA Tour players out of the field and you can imagine the reaction to that. 
Only 3 players involved in the court case, Poulter, Otaguie and Harding. It only let's them play until their appeal is heard, their case was heard earlier by some court I've never heard of.

First bit of sense from McDowell in months earlier when he said that he wouldn't be getting involved in court cases as he doesn't want to play somewhere he isn't welcome.

https://bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/liv-rebels-win-legal-challenge-to-play-scottish-open

22 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Only 3 players involved in the court case, Poulter, Otaguie and Harding. It only let's them play until their appeal is heard, their case was heard earlier by some court I've never heard of.

First bit of sense from McDowell in months earlier when he said that he wouldn't be getting involved in court cases as he doesn't want to play somewhere he isn't welcome.

https://bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/liv-rebels-win-legal-challenge-to-play-scottish-open

I had assumed it would be all those who put their name to that letter last week. 

The whole thing is one unholy mess, that's for sure.