Golfers Thread

Gaz

21 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

Since the WHS came in, it's been pointed out that the CSS has never once moved at my club for any competition. This weekend we had 155 players playing, 3 were under handicap (two at 2 under, one at 1 under), one played to handicap. The rest were over handicap including 39 NRs. Almost half the field (75) were at least 8 shots over handicap. This seems utterly ridiculous and the word is that this is a problem affecting all clubs in Scotland.  Has anyone else noticed this or actually had any movements in the CSS at their clubs?

Screenshot_20220704_004758_com.android.chrome.jpg

Glad you brought this up...I have been quering this since the weekend before last when we had the final round of the club championship in very windy conditions....the following day it was even windier for the Sunday medal and I think there was only one player breaking their handicap (out of around 120)  I am quite sure that under the old system that the CSS would have been around 74 (usually 71) or possibly non-counting.  However no adjustment to the PCC.

Last Tuesday I remarked that it was great to play in more usual breezy conditions....yet for the first time I can recall we had a PCC adjustment of 1....made absolutely no sense at all

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I see Poulter is hoping that the LIV players will get some sort of legal ruling overturning their ban from the Scottish Open tomorrow. Of course, that would then presumably knock about a dozen current DP/PGA Tour players out of the field and you can imagine the reaction to that. 

I saw a quote from a high heidyin on the DP Tour stating that the field would be expanded rather than those already confirmed losing their spot.

The No Laying Up lads were heavily hinting that Cantlay and berger will be off too. That’s two big ones imo. Both in their prime years really. Neither are particularly exciting guys so it will probably be brushed off but it’s disappointing 

On 03/07/2022 at 17:40, Jamie_Beatson said:

Anyone played the Roxburghe down by Kelso? My wife is going to a concert down that area tomorrow night and I’ve offered to drive on the basis that I spend the evening playing golf nearby while she watches Michael fucking Buble.

Looks a fair step up from the usual council tracks I play 😂

Stunning course. Theoretically went round just about at net par though I’m sure I missed off a stroke somewhere and I took a couple of shots off of two tees for practice and played the better ball.

First time I’ve played a course where you really feel like you can see what the course designer is trying to get you to do. It took me five holes to realise that I had far more space on the fairways than I initially thought - but that the real challenge was trying to stay out of the enormous bunker complexes. I became intimately familiar with several of them…

Wish I had figured out the layout a bit quicker - I was about 12 shots over par after five holes, but from then to the end actually played really nicely. Driver was really going well. But if you play there make sure you really think about your line off the tee and from the fairways make absolutely certain you take the right club. I misjudged one off the tee (mistook an aiming marker for part of the ladies tee box and took a line directly into the rough) and later hit a beauty of a tee shot but took a PW instead of a 9 iron from the middle of the fairway and dropped it ten yards short into a massive bunker.

Feels like the kind of place if you played it regularly your golf would improve markedly. Great round.

3C5850AD-DD05-479C-A178-6356F173E619.jpeg

It seems that one of the reasons that only 3 players were involved in the legal proceedings is that several of the players who have gone to LIV weren't qualified to play in the Scottish Open anyway. Others are playing in the JP McManus yesterday and today and didn't want to play at the Renaissance anyway.

https://service.theopen.com/6KMS-KI6Y-C029EE631DED752C3LTLBT0DE89AAB50392C9B/cr.aspx

R&A just issued the above travel advice for those attending The Open next week. Basically, don't attempt to travel by train to Leuchars, travel by road instead.

Feck. We are staying with friends in Dundee but have no car. Any Dundee folk able to advise on buses from Dundee to Leuchars / St. Andrews ?

33 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://service.theopen.com/6KMS-KI6Y-C029EE631DED752C3LTLBT0DE89AAB50392C9B/cr.aspx

R&A just issued the above travel advice for those attending The Open next week. Basically, don't attempt to travel by train to Leuchars, travel by road instead.

Feck. We are staying with friends in Dundee but have no car. Any Dundee folk able to advise on buses from Dundee to Leuchars / St. Andrews ?

If you go down to the (Dundee) Seagate bus station there will be buses going to St Andrews every 10/15 mins.  Normally takes about 30 mins but you’ll probably want to add a wee bit extra time for the additional traffic. The bus station in St Andrews is about 500 yards from the 18th fairway.

To be honest, by the time you get the train from Dundee to Leuchars then get on the bus from Leuchars to St Andrews, it actually wouldn’t take you that much longer than if you just got the bus all the way.

Edited by ArabGaz

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Travelling from Glasgow is a bit of a pain in the arse all round so I’m thinking my best option is to drive. Stagecoach don’t appear to be operating additional services meaning the earliest I’d get there is about 10.30am (this also means we’re relying on trains to get to and from Glasgow). They don’t allow you to actually book seats on any buses so if there’s a massive queue when you turn up you’ll be stuck getting a later bus. I was looking forward to a few refreshments and what not but driving seems like the most sensible option and would at least mean I arrive at a reasonable enough time and wont have to worry about missing any buses home or the trains being a write off when arriving back in Glasgow. 

You’d think an event of this scale would have better transport links from major cities but I suppose not!

Both the Open and Scotrail Twitter accounts getting hammered by people who booked a Golflink ticket from Edinburgh and are now facing down the barrel of the Scotrail nonsense. Not a great look from the organisers tbh and I do wonder if there might be a significant number that just patch it as a result.

3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I’m staying in Leuchars rather than Edinburgh next week as we thought it would be so much easier. f**k sake 😂

Just in case folk missed it

Loads of free parking at Glenrothes beside the bus station and there will be extra services and will be £9.80 return.Same price from halbeath park n ride (beside junction 3 dunfermline) and kirkcaldy but less free parking available 

I'm doing the Glenrothes route as in past opens at St Andrews it's been really good