Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

There's no need to ban them from the Majors. As long as OWGR aren't awarding points to LIV events, there isn't even a need to change any eligibility rules.

The vast majority will have to go through local and final qualifying for the two Opens. If they are members of the PGA of America, the same will apply for the PGA, if they aren't, then they are fucked there too. Augusta will do what Augusta always do and make up their own rules, but they are the very definition of "No individual is bigger than the Tournament". Especially when it comes to Norman.

Former champions will be able to play on exemptions for a certain time, but outside of that, they will need to qualify or have finished in the top 5 the previous year/Major.  From the R&A's point of view, they don't need a DeChambeau if they have McIlroy, etc, so if he's not there, who cares, and if he rocks up to Panmure to play in qualifying, it's "Everyone is desperate to play in our great event".

It’s a bit shite though for the lesser known players who would usually have a chance of qualifying via local qualifying if they will now have to beat DeChambeau, Koepka, Oouisthuizen etc. Greatly diminished their chances.

18 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

And a lot of facts that can't be denied. I wonder who had signed up to play in Ireland then jumped ship?

I'm guessing it would be someone like Reed, who quite often came over to Europe to play and wasn't one of the original group of players to sign up to LIV.

20 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

And a lot of facts that can't be denied. I wonder who had signed up to play in Ireland then jumped ship?

Sky reporting it as McDowell.

Just in from playing a singles tie, and for the first time in my life, I was giving up more than a stroke a hole. I was 1 over handicap through 14, when he got up and down from a green side bunker to finish me off. 

I'd normally be fucking raging, but have played with the boy a few times in medals and bounce games, and he just had the game of his life. Stupid fucking game.

Further confirmation that this is little more than a retirement tour for has-beens, jobbers and crocks. 
Amazing how a large wad of cash can heal a sore back. Casey might be the first player to join LIV and actually play more golf.

Worth pointing out too that he was once so principled due to his charitable links with Unicef that he wouldn't play in the Saudi Invitational.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

That’s the same Paul Casey who previously refused to play in Saudi Arabia due to his work with UNICEF

Good to see Casey getting called out on this. To me he’s always come across as dull. His personality reminds me of Faldo as a player, albeit without the success in the Majors. 

Maybe one for the 'RTBC' but a friend has just e-mailed me a couple of tix for Thursday's Scottish Open. (His partner booked a very,very last minute week in Corsica.....he's no' happy !!!)

Never been to Renaissance before........any good as a viewing course ??