Golfers Thread

Gaz

I noticed a couple of days ago that Charl Schwartzel had entered final qualifying for the open at Fairmont today but have just read this morning that he's decided not to bother so he can get over to America in plenty of time for the LIV event this week. A glimpse into the mindset of someone who despite just winning £4 million or whatever it was a couple of weeks ago would still prefer to chase more money than try to play in a major. 

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I noticed a couple of days ago that Charl Schwartzel had entered final qualifying for the open at Fairmont today but have just read this morning that he's decided not to bother so he can get over to America in plenty of time for the LIV event this week. A glimpse into the mindset of someone who despite just winning £4 million or whatever it was a couple of weeks ago would still prefer to chase more money than try to play in a major. 

The thing is he didn't win $4mill I was reading the other day that the prize cash is already factored in to the contracts of Liv jobbers.

Any I'm in Dublin and my flight this morning was the Scottish golfers express.Gallgher/ Ramsey and ewen Ferguson I spotted but there was a big group of themIMG_20220628_080132429_HDR.thumb.jpg.d8c9ec6c08b36e0e0c71e97e3486929e.jpg

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

The thing is he didn't win $4mill I was reading the other day that the prize cash is already factored in to the contracts of Liv jobbers.

Really? For all of them? How can they even advertise prize money if all the players don’t actually get it on top of their current contracts? And what is the incentive to win the events then if the prize money is decided before?

I don’t understand how that can be true.

26 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Really? For all of them? How can they even advertise prize money if all the players don’t actually get it on top of their current contracts? And what is the incentive to win the events then if the prize money is decided before?

I don’t understand how that can be true.

Brandel Chamberlee was on about this on one of the us open pre shows.Basically there contracts are guaranteed cash and until they win above that does any price cash get paid out as a bonus type of payment. if they had it written into there contracts in the same way as many sports have players tied to contracts/teams etc

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Open Final qualifying is on today, 4 spots up fir grabs at each course. No fairytale for Sandy Lyle who is currently +5 at St. Anne's Old Links.

Big Scottish contingent at Fairmont St. Andrews.

https://www.theopen.com/final-qualifying#scores

Daniel Kay currently the only Scot in a qualifying place. A few within striking distance though.

It would be good if Sandy Scott could get through after he missed out in a play off for US Open qualifying.

Daniel Kay currently the only Scot in a qualifying place. A few within striking distance though.
It would be good if Sandy Scott could get through after he missed out in a play off for US Open qualifying.
Calum Scott is 3rd at the moment, but I'm not sure how accurate the scores are. He was -2 this morning, showing as -1 thru 3 holes in R2, but is -1 on the leaderboard. Confused.com

Edit: looks like the score showing on the R2 column is their current overall score rather than their second round score.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
22 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Calum Scott is 3rd at the moment, but I'm not sure how accurate the scores are. He was -2 this morning, showing as -1 thru 3 holes in R2, but is -1 on the leaderboard. Confused.com

I'm assuming it should be showing +1 for the 2nd round but who knows.

The weather has been pretty dire in Fife so far today but is forecast to improve later so some of the later starters might catch a bit of a break there.

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12642117/pga-tour-dp-world-tour-expand-and-strengthen-strategic-alliance-partnership-extended-to-2035

Top 10 players in the DP Tour rankings not already exempt gain PGA Tour cards. Similar access for the likes of the sunshine tour to the DP Tour. 

Also increased prize money and some talk of a more global outlook for the PGA Tour. 

All of this runs until 2035. 

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/12642117/pga-tour-dp-world-tour-expand-and-strengthen-strategic-alliance-partnership-extended-to-2035
Top 10 players in the DP Tour rankings not already exempt gain PGA Tour cards. Similar access for the likes of the sunshine tour to the DP Tour. 
Also increased prize money and some talk of a more global outlook for the PGA Tour. 
See a few journos up in the arms at the DP Tour admitting it's now a feeder for the PGA Tour. I don't see the fuss tbh as it's been that for years imo. In terms of cold hard cash, ranking points and prestige, then the PGA tour is way ahead. It's a huge carrot for players like Bob MacIntyre.

The field for the John Deere this week is going to be very weak, with a lot of players either heading to the Irish Open or having a week off. Daniel Berger at 25 on the OWGR was the highest ranked player in the field, but he withdrew injured today.

18 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

See a few journos up in the arms at the DP Tour admitting it's now a feeder for the PGA Tour. I don't see the fuss tbh as it's been that for years imo. In terms of cold hard cash, ranking points and prestige, then the PGA tour is way ahead. It's a huge carrot for players like Bob MacIntyre.

Agree with this. I think the DP Tour have come out of this pretty nicely and you'd hope that there will also be more PGA tour players coming to play in the bigger European events also. 

The likes of MacIntyre can now focus on a DP Tour playing schedule rather than juggle a schedule on both sides on the pond like he's being doing unsuccessfully for the past year or so. 

Agree with this. I think the DP Tour have come out of this pretty nicely and you'd hope that there will also be more PGA tour players coming to play in the bigger European events also. 
The likes of MacIntyre can now focus on a DP Tour playing schedule rather than juggle a schedule on both sides on the pond like he's being doing unsuccessfully for the past year or so. 
The PGA are also bringing back Q school, a decade after they scrapped it.