Golfers Thread

Gaz

It was Sergio Garcia.
He really has turned in to a self entitled p***k. He and Rory were close enough to be guests at each others weddings. Seemingly Sergio was mouthing off months ago about going to LIV and "finally being paid what we deserve."

He wasn't happy when Rory replied, "Sergio. We are golfers. We don't 'deserve" anything."

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

He really has turned in to a self entitled p***k. He and Rory were close enough to be guests at each others weddings. Seemingly Sergio was mouthing off months ago about going to LIV and "finally being paid what we deserve."

He wasn't happy when Rory replied, "Sergio. We are golfers. We don't 'deserve" anything."

A few quid really can make folk lose the run of themselves eh

There's been a fair amount of talk about the future of the Ryder Cup because of LIV, and although I wouldn't be giving up on the Ryder Cup yet, I'm all for scrapping the President's Cup and setting up a new tournament of LIV v the PGA Tour

59 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Bunkered doing a deal for Panmure and Scotscraig and a nights B&B for £200 quid. I’ve heard they are both good courses, is that a good deal for the both of them? 

Panmure is a really nice course, not played Scotscraig. Played Panmure as a reciprocal though so not sure what normal price is to say whether it’s a good deal, but on the face of it I’d say it looks good.

It’s sometimes hard to tell with the packaged deals if you are getting a bargain or not, especially because I don’t know the courses, but I had heard Panmure was highly regarded. 

We have also booked the PGA Course at Gleneagles for next Friday. I played it about 6 years back when I was absolutely woeful at golf, and I shot about 160. 1st hole I put my ball into the reeds in front of the green that were staked with red markers. I thought the ground was solid and went charging in only to end up waist high in water. That set the tone for the day. 

Scotscraig is pretty quirky in that it has squeezed a lot of golf into a pretty limited area. It can be a tough day there when it's playing hard and fast with any kind of wind, but it's always worth teeing up there (albeit Panmure is a much better course).

7 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Scotscraig is pretty quirky in that it has squeezed a lot of golf into a pretty limited area. It can be a tough day there when it's playing hard and fast with any kind of wind, but it's always worth teeing up there (albeit Panmure is a much better course).

Cheers for the info. Looks a good enough deal and two courses none of us have played before. Will manage to sneak in a few sociable pints in Broughty Ferry as well so it’s looking good. 

Panmure is brilliant, well 4-15 are brilliant - 1-3 and 16-18 are on different land that I don't like quite as much, but 4-15 is as good a stretch of golf as you'll find. It's in amazing condition just now after the regional qualifiers. Usual green fees are £145 and they basically never do discount for normal, non-tour guide, tee times. 

I'd say £200 for the rounds and B&B in the Ferry is a really good deal. 

If players who have jumped from the PGA to LIV decide a year or so down the line that they want to rejoin the Tour, are the PGA open to that or are they blackballed? I can see some of the bigger names getting quite bored of LIV quite quick, and if it affects their entry to the majors and the Ryder Cup they might soon realise that playing against Peter Uihlein and Chase Koepka isn’t the same as playing at TPC Sawgrass against McIlroy, Thomas and Morikawa, even if the purses are astronomical.

32 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

If players who have jumped from the PGA to LIV decide a year or so down the line that they want to rejoin the Tour, are the PGA open to that or are they blackballed? I can see some of the bigger names getting quite bored of LIV quite quick, and if it affects their entry to the majors and the Ryder Cup they might soon realise that playing against Peter Uihlein and Chase Koepka isn’t the same as playing at TPC Sawgrass against McIlroy, Thomas and Morikawa, even if the purses are astronomical.

I think it's more to do with hubris being at play here, with those "bigger" names assuming that it's only a matter of time before the rest of the PGA Tour decide that the early adopters were correct all along and that the Majors will have to fall into line with their "vision".

If Fleetwood does jump ship, it's easy to see the likes of Hatton and Willett following suit.

3 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

I think it's more to do with hubris being at play here, with those "bigger" names assuming that it's only a matter of time before the rest of the PGA Tour decide that the early adopters were correct all along and that the Majors will have to fall into line with their "vision".

If Fleetwood does jump ship, it's easy to see the likes of Hatton and Willett following suit.

I’m actually surprised Hatton isn’t already away. I was going to say Fleetwood would be a shock but with the money on offer I don’t think anyone outside of McIlroy, Speith, Thomas etc. would be a shock. Only the guys who have came out and strongly distanced themselves from it would surprise me now.