Golfers Thread

Gaz

Rory off to a bad start today, taking a 6 at the 331 yard second hole. Not sure if it clipped a tree or not, but his drive only travelled 107 yards and ended up in the bundai next to the front tee box. He could then only hack it forward 10 yards or so, then his 3rd still didn't find the fairway. Missed a short birdie putt on the 3rd to claw one back. Misses the fairway off the tee at 4.

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Rory off to a bad start today, taking a 6 at the 331 yard second hole. Not sure if it clipped a tree or not, but his drive only travelled 107 yards and ended up in the bundai next to the front tee box. He could then only hack it forward 10 yards or so, then his 3rd still didn't find the fairway. Missed a short birdie putt on the 3rd to claw one back. Misses the fairway off the tee at 4.

I'm not watching yet but this is his 4th tournament in a row which is unusual for him. I wonder if he's starting to show a bit of mental fatigue. 

18 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm not watching yet but this is his 4th tournament in a row which is unusual for him. I wonder if he's starting to show a bit of mental fatigue. 

He also hit a horrible chip on 5 that led to another dropped shot, certainly looks miles off it today. His drive at the second clattered a tree on the left and shot across to the right.

On 23/06/2022 at 12:30, funky_nomad said:

Teed it up in the midweek medal last night a beautiful evening and Ladybank is running hard and fast, which really suits the course.

After a horrendous season so far, and 3 weeks without picking up my sticks due to a combination of holidays and a wedding, I was prepared to take yet another hit in my inexorable rise to double figures. I really surprised myself by hitting pretty much everything out the middle (bar a horrendous gap wedge from 100 yards that cost me a double), and holed a few decent putts on the way to a nett 68. Woke up this morning to find that this has been lodged as my best-ever WHS Score Differential of 2.0, and I've taken 0.9 off my Handicap Index in one swoop. I'm now officially one of the top 13,300 male golfers in Scotland 😆

It's a stupid game, though - I fully expect to be back struggling to break 90 on Saturday whilst defending my second-best Score Differential... 🙄

As predicted, immediately back to playing shite today - ended up shooting 88 😆

Mickelson? Lazy guess on the assumption that Boab would have looked up to him as a top level left-handed golfer. 
That was my thought to, or another lefty in Bubba Watson, but not seen anything new from the two of them this week that might have got Bob's dander up.

A ridiculous finish in Germany by Haotong Li to win in a playoff. He had a putt to win on the 72nd hole lip out after Pieters had birdied it.

Back to play the 18th again his drive just missed the tree that he hit yesterday. His second then just skirted the water, ran over the green, and stopped just short of the water up against the fringe. He had a free drop and opted to drop it in the first cut, but then knocked it 50 feet past the hole. Knocked in the return putt for his 4, with Pieters missing his from about 12 feet.

Scenes at the BMW in Germany as Haotong Li clunks an eagle chip 50 feet past the pin and then holes the return putt to win a play off against Thomas Pieters. 

Cue some intense celebrations and a couple of f bombs in his greenside interview. 

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t know if it’s just Angus that’s affected but every round Iv played in the last 2-3 weeks seems to be played in strong winds 

It's been the same in Fife for at least the last month. Seems like the wind has rarely dropped below about 25mph. 

The weather in general has been pretty shit, I've hardly sat in the garden at all this year. Last year I was regularly waking up from nightshift, then having another hour's kip on a lounger in the garden. Not this year.

Cantlay absolutely hacking his way round the final round at the Travellers. Schauffele not doing much better but he is still in the lead. Just.

It's been really windy down here recently too, although weirdly it was blowing in the complete opposite direction this morning than usual. Last week I needed driver, 3 wood and wedge to reach the par 5, just a drive and a 7 iron this morning.

Tremendous stuff from Theegala here, having just hit an approach from a divot over water to about 20 feet. Glorious stuff.

He's got all the momentum whilst Schaufele is looking unable to make a birdie. Cantlay have a Rory-esque round here as well [emoji23]