Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Again, I can't help but think of the double standards when talking of their "greed".

Using the Scottish Open as an example, we've now got it co-sanctioned which effectively means that the European tour (DP world)  flagship event is now pretty much a closed shop and omits the majority of the actual European tour players and young scots in place of the super rich pot hunters from the PGA tour.

Yes, it might be good for the fans and Yes it will undoubtedly be good for the sponsors and those who are lucky enough to get a place in it, however let's not pretend that it's anything other than greed as regards those running the show and those already dining at the top table.

I really don't like the way the whole game is going (whether it be the normal tours or the LIV mob) as all it's doing is handing crazy money to the chosen few.

Ultimately we've got majors, then we introduced the WGC's and then it was the "Rolex events" (which were bad enough) so WHY do we need these co-sanctioned events that only permit the top players to play to the detriment of the actual card carrying tour players ??

As I say, nothing but pure unadulterated greed.....

I read that some of the tour players had been putting pressure on Pelley to throw their hat in with LIV as they were frustrated at the lack of opportunities resulting from the 'strategic alliance' with the PGA Tour. You would hope that the Tour have at least used this situation to try and improve on this for their members.

The PGA have undoubtedly brought this situation on themselves. Their product is dogshit sometimes, as is the coverage and their sidelining of the other tours.

Unfortunately, it's a choice between them and the Saudi royal family for defacto control of the professional game at the moment. The PGA should lose the overwhelming balance of power it has over the game, but f**k ceding it to the Saudis.

There should be a World Tour, controlled equally between the PGA, European, Asian and Sunshine Tours. The top 50, 60, 80, 100 whatever players to commit to a 25(+4 majors, +1 Tour Championship) event season spread all over the globe with the balance of the field made up from whatever Tour is hosting. Promotion and relegation with the purses more balanced between the regular events on the 4 now lesser tours.

1 minute ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

There should be a World Tour, controlled equally between the PGA, European, Asian and Sunshine Tours. The top 50, 60, 80, 100 whatever players to commit to a 25(+4 majors, +1 Tour Championship) event season spread all over the globe with the balance of the field made up from whatever Tour is hosting. Promotion and relegation with the purses more balanced between the regular events on the 4 now lesser tours.

I’d like to see something along those lines. They need to do something to spice it up a little. Certainly at the very least the PGA should be looking to expand the boundaries of their tour. The majors are too compacted and there’s about 7 months of lost time between the Tour Championship and the Players Championship that is filled with diddy events on terrible courses. 

Come our autumn/winter they should be playing events in the southern hemisphere. A proper WGC event with a huge prize purse played in Australia at, for example, Royal Melbourne or Kingston Heath would be sensational. South Africa would be another good one.

13 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

I’d like to see something along those lines. They need to do something to spice it up a little. Certainly at the very least the PGA should be looking to expand the boundaries of their tour. The majors are too compacted and there’s about 7 months of lost time between the Tour Championship and the Players Championship that is filled with diddy events on terrible courses. 

Come our autumn/winter they should be playing events in the southern hemisphere. A proper WGC event with a huge prize purse played in Australia at, for example, Royal Melbourne or Kingston Heath would be sensational. South Africa would be another good one.

This is another of my pet hates with the Scottish being a prime example. This crap about "the players want an easy test before the Open" is just utter nonsense in my book and playing at boring setups such as Renaissance when we've got some of the best links courses in the world on both the East and West coasts is nothing other than scandalous.

Sky took great delight in getting a hold of Martin Kaymer as soon as he stepped off the course earlier to tell him his punishments. What they didn't say though, was that Rob Lee doing the interview has a vested interest as a current board member of the Tour.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This is another of my pet hates with the Scottish being a prime example. This crap about "the players want an easy test before the Open" is just utter nonsense in my book and playing at boring setups such as Renaissance when we've got some of the best links courses in the world on both the East and West coasts is nothing other than scandalous.

Absolutely. Is there a reason why they don’t take the Scottish Open to Carnoustie, Muirfield, Troon etc? 

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Sky took great delight in getting a hold of Martin Kaymer as soon as he stepped off the course earlier to tell him his punishments. What they didn't say though, was that Rob Lee doing the interview has a vested interest as a current board member of the Tour.

Ironically Sky themselves are the main reason that we've got to where we have.

Most  "elite level" sports seem to have got to the stage where the broadcaster, sponsor and competitor have forgotten that their whole raison d'etre is to entertain the fans and give them what they want as opposed to the other way around with the tail now wagging the dog.

The fact that the Governing bodies (R&A and USGA) are either incapable or unwilling to get involved tells you that in reality they no longer have any control or real influence in the game.

Just now, ArabGaz said:

Absolutely. Is there a reason why they don’t take the Scottish Open to Carnoustie, Muirfield, Troon etc? 

I think it's a mixture of politics and sponsors wishes.

7 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

This is a pretty decent article on it.

https://www.ukgolfguy.com/golf-blog/scottish-open-future

If I remember correctly the Scottish Gov as a co -sponsor / promoter had it moving around the country in an attempt to bring tourism / economic benefits to all parts, however that seems to have been completely shelved nowadays.

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I think it's a mixture of politics and sponsors wishes.

Yeah Genesis wanted a fixed location for the event and the course and infrastructure around it, driving range etc is perfect for a large golf event. 

Incidentally I find it a far better course to watch golf on than St Andrews and Doak is one of my favourite architects.  As the course matures I think it'll become a good test and move comfortably into the top 20 courses in the country.  But that's just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Yeah Genesis wanted a fixed location for the event and the course and infrastructure around it, driving range etc is perfect for a large golf event. 

Incidentally I find it a far better course to watch golf on than St Andrews and Doak is one of my favourite architects.  As the course matures I think it'll become a good test and move comfortably into the top 20 courses in the country.  But that's just my opinion. 

I thought it stank tbh. It’s not representative of what good Scottish links golf is all about for me. Yes it’s built in a way that’s good for fitting in space for fans and TV etc, but purely in terms of quality of course as a player, it’s behind about 5 or 6 other courses even just on the 10 mile stretch of coastline it sits on.

Biggest winner from Liv is Rory he is on fire since it all kicked off properly...not to go full McGinley but it's nuts watching him in full flow when he is on it 
Perfect timing [emoji23]

Total headsgone from Rory having to hole a 4 footer for a fucking 8 on the 390yd Par 4 12th. Wtf

Club open tomorrow (Perth Artisans) - first time playing a competition like this! Really hoping I can get close to net par. Unfortunately every time I’ve played a summer league card this year I’ve gone well over. Then when I’ve gone out myself for a bounce game I’ve shot net -6 or -8. 🤷 

Back in DP land, Robert MacIntyre was going along nicely and was 6 under, but a back 9 of 39 saw him slip back to -3 and end up missing the cut, along with the likes of Warren, Gallacher and Syme.

Richie Ramsay going well again.