Golfers Thread

Gaz

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Morikawa less than an hour ago.

Has to be said though, he's a wrong 'un if he's putting milk in the bowl first. 

Yeah my wife does it and I've considered ending it. 

Would love to have been a fly on the wall at the players meeting this morning now that PGA tour have announced these mega fall series purses. 

53 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Yeah my wife does it and I've considered ending it. 

Would love to have been a fly on the wall at the players meeting this morning now that PGA tour have announced these mega fall series purses. 

Morikawa has been getting some heat on Twitter about it.

26 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-players-meeting-travelers-championship-changes-to-fall-schedule

Looking at the make up of the OWGR board, I think LIV will be doing well to convince them to give them ranking status, especially if Pelley and the DP Tour don't break ranks.

Yeah looking at the makeup of the OWGR board they hold a lot of power to lock out LIV from the PGA and DP Tours. 

Will Brooks be much of a loss? He had his (incredible) purple patch a couple of years back but has suffered a lot with injuries since. Two top 10’s in 15 starts this season is mid-table stuff at best. He’s decided to cash in before he falls further down the rankings and he seems like a bit of a dick.  Morikawa and Hovland would be concerning though.

Edited by ArabGaz

9 hours ago, ArabGaz said:

Will Brooks be much of a loss? He had his (incredible) purple patch a couple of years back but has suffered a lot with injuries since. Two top 10’s in 15 starts this season is mid-table stuff at best. He’s decided to cash in before he falls further down the rankings and he seems like a bit of a dick.  Morikawa and Hovland would be concerning though.

Probably not, other than the fact he's still a 'big name'. As you say he's not been a feature on leaderboards this season so him not being there won't really be noticeable. 

He's pretty much admitted in the past that he just goes through the motions in regular tour events and with his injuries you can see how a very limited schedule with big money guaranteed would interest him. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

Koepka was probably just jealous of De Roideau's sign up fee. This might be more of an earth-shattering development if Brooks hadn't spent over a year as an out of form crock. Morikawa would have been a much bigger loss. 

Overall, the dream outcome is for LIV events to be denied ranking points, and denied access to the Majors (or at least denied exemptions). Seeing some of those c***s try to come crawling back would be extremely funny, as would "The Shark" seeing his grand plan fall apart. Bonus comedy points for the Saudi PIF spending several hundred million for basically 3 or 4 shite events. 

11 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Koepka was probably just jealous of De Roideau's sign up fee. This might be more of an earth-shattering development if Brooks hadn't spent over a year as an out of form crock. Morikawa would have been a much bigger loss. 

Overall, the dream outcome is for LIV events to be denied ranking points, and denied access to the Majors (or at least denied exemptions). Seeing some of those c***s try to come crawling back would be extremely funny, as would "The Shark" seeing his grand plan fall apart. Bonus comedy points for the Saudi PIF spending several hundred million for basically 3 or 4 shite events. 

The OWGR points decision is the THE big domino to fall I think.  With 54 hole shotgun starts and team events (although there's an individual leader board) there's reasonable grounds for the OWGR board to reject before you think about the self preservation element of various members of the board. 

Glad Morikawa stayed away, had him down as a good guy but was worried for a few hours yesterday. 

5 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:
The OWGR points decision is the THE big domino to fall I think.  With 54 hole shotgun starts and team events (although there's an individual leader board) there's reasonable grounds for the OWGR board to reject before you think about the self preservation element of various members of the board. 
Glad Morikawa stayed away, had him down as a good guy but was worried for a few hours yesterday. 

I'm not surprised at The Open allowing the LIV players to play at St. Andrews this year, can hardly claim to be open if they barred players who have qualified just because of the tour they play on.. The OWGR is the key to the whole thing going forward. Although there are players on the LIV who have exemptions for quite a few years yet for some of the majors, if others aren't earning ranking points then their chances of taking part will soon diminish. It won't take someone in the top 60 long to fall way down the list if they are losing points with every passing week. Could be some big names taking part in local qualifying next year.

It's highly debatable though whether not being allowed to take part in the majors would sway someone who are chasing the cash anyway.

Edited by peasy23

14 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I'm not surprised at The Open allowing the LIV players to play at St. Andrews this year, can hardly claim to be open if they barred playets who have qualified just because of the tour they play on.. The OWGR is the key to the whole thing going forward. Although there are players on the LIV who have exemptions for quite a few years yet for some of the majors, if others aren't earning ranking points then their chances of taking part will soon diminish. It won't take someone in the top 60 long to fall way down the list if they are losing points with every passing week. Could be some big names taking part in local qualifying next year.

It's highly debatable though whether not being allowed to take part in the majors would sway someone who has pocketed a huge signing fee.

Agree with this. By denying them ranking points, there's pretty much no chance that anyone other than currently exempt players will be playing in a major anytime soon.

When you look at the current list of players, only Koepka, Johnson and Oosthuizen have really contended for majors in the last couple of years, excluding Mickelson's freak in the USPGA last year. And even then, Oosthuizen is the only one of those who won't have a current exemption for all 4 majors. 

Someone made a great point on Twitter about this the other day that I probably won't eloquently describe.  The chances of any of these guys competing at the top level of majors and/or any PGA Tour events they may blag a way in to in the future will surely diminish playing the LIV tour?  Playing a 54 hole shotgun start, pretty uncompetitive competition 8-12 times a year isn't, I don't think, going to transfer well when it comes to Major Championship setups and field strength.  

3 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Someone made a great point on Twitter about this the other day that I probably won't eloquently describe.  The chances of any of these guys competing at the top level of majors and/or any PGA Tour events they may blag a way in to in the future will surely diminish playing the LIV tour?  Playing a 54 hole shotgun start, pretty uncompetitive competition 8-12 times a year isn't, I don't think, going to transfer well when it comes to Major Championship setups and field strength.  

Somebody needs to ask the Liv jobbers why they are all saying "it's to change golf" then why do they want to compete in a 72 hole tournament as surely they think 54 is the way forward 

On 03/06/2022 at 13:51, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for travelling to The Open from Glasgow? The train looks like a bit of a nightmare, it’s not a kick in the baws off 60 quid return and the best part of 3 hours when i take into consideration travelling from Dumbarton to Glasgow which would mean we wouldn’t be arriving until around 10am at the earliest if everything is on time (unlikely) and runs as it should. Stagecoach don’t appear to even have the availability to check for tickets that far in advance (they only let you check up until the end of June) and judging by The Open’s website it sounds like driving will be a nightmare with nae parking, closed roads etc. I’d also prefer the option of being able to have a pint but that isn’t a necessity.

The bus seems like the easiest option but with Stagecoach timetables not being the clearest and not being able to search for tickets that far in advance I’ve nae idea of the times, prices or availability.

Glenrothes to St Andrews will be £9.50 Return 

First bus will be at 0600(0800 sat/sun) and return up to midnight.There will be a half hourly service but will reduce to hourly after 9pm 

Missus was down at the shopping centre in Glenrothes today where the buses leave from (and plenty free parking) and asked the lassie at the bus info desk 

7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I'm not surprised at The Open allowing the LIV players to play at St. Andrews this year, can hardly claim to be open if they barred players who have qualified just because of the tour they play on.. The OWGR is the key to the whole thing going forward. Although there are players on the LIV who have exemptions for quite a few years yet for some of the majors, if others aren't earning ranking points then their chances of taking part will soon diminish. It won't take someone in the top 60 long to fall way down the list if they are losing points with every passing week. Could be some big names taking part in local qualifying next year.

It's highly debatable though whether not being allowed to take part in the majors would sway someone who are chasing the cash anyway.

It probably won't. There are a tiny handful who you'd think are ever likely to compete at the business end of a major ever again. The rest are has-beens like Westwood or total fucking jobbers who are only interested in the money. LIV has all the attraction of one of those PHIL VERSUS TIGER televised skins games at Vegas or something. Absolute shite.