Golfers Thread

Gaz

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Looking almost certain that it'll be a first time major winner tonight. 

Hopefully Fitzpatrick can do it. 

Would like to see Fitzpatrick win it too. Looks like he’s been working on parts of his game that historically have let him down, like his approach play and accuracy off the tee. Putting has always been a strength of his especially from distance, and with how tough the course is playing it could be the putts from 10’+ that make the difference today. The stars might have aligned for him with the lack of big names at the top of the leaderboard so hopefully he can take the chance, he’s one of only 3 players that have posted 3 rounds in the 60s so if he does it again today he will be right up there. 

Would like to see Fitzpatrick win it too. Looks like he’s been working on parts of his game that historically have let him down, like his approach play and accuracy off the tee. Putting has always been a strength of his especially from distance, and with how tough the course is playing it could be the putts from 10’+ that make the difference today. The stars might have aligned for him with the lack of big names at the top of the leaderboard so hopefully he can take the chance, he’s one of only 3 players that have posted 3 rounds in the 60s so if he does it again today he will be right up there. 
I've got 280 reasons for wanting a Fitzpatrick win.5a6a77ba36549b7ff1af64127979248a.jpg

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I've got 280 reasons for wanting a Fitzpatrick win.5a6a77ba36549b7ff1af64127979248a.jpg

That would be some result. Didn’t see many people tipping him as a winner in the build up to this either but he’s a player that definitely has the game to compete at the top. 

As a slight aside, does anyone play the golf competitions on Draft Kings? I kept seeing it mentioned on Twitter, mainly from American golf profiles that I follow, and assumed it was only available to US customers as I’ve never really seen Draft Kings advertised over here. I downloaded the app and stuck a tenner in to have a go at it this week, and was doing well initially with McIlroy and Hoge in my lineup, but Berger and Corey Conners missing the cut has humped me. I usually end up pissing away 40 or 50 quid on Bet365 but have quite enjoyed the Draft Kings format for just a few quid instead. 1st place gets $100k so there’s some good money to be made if you get lucky. 

That would be some result. Didn’t see many people tipping him as a winner in the build up to this either but he’s a player that definitely has the game to compete at the top. 

As a slight aside, does anyone play the golf competitions on Draft Kings? I kept seeing it mentioned on Twitter, mainly from American golf profiles that I follow, and assumed it was only available to US customers as I’ve never really seen Draft Kings advertised over here. I downloaded the app and stuck a tenner in to have a go at it this week, and was doing well initially with McIlroy and Hoge in my lineup, but Berger and Corey Conners missing the cut has humped me. I usually end up pissing away 40 or 50 quid on Bet365 but have quite enjoyed the Draft Kings format for just a few quid instead. 1st place gets $100k so there’s some good money to be made if you get lucky. 
Because I have him in my fantasy team he is one of the players I keep an eye on, he's had a steady start to the year with just one missed cut and was tied 2nd at the Wells Fargo last week.

There was also very little value in backing any of the OWGR leaders, unless they won then you were hardly breaking even on an ew bet. I backed Niemann at the same odds as Fitzpatrick but he's fallen away after a decent start.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Because I have him in my fantasy team he is one of the players I keep an eye on, he's had a steady start to the year with just one missed cut and was tied 2nd at the Wells Fargo last week.

There was also very little value in backing any of the OWGR leaders, unless they won then you were hardly breaking even on an ew bet. I backed Niemann at the same odds as Fitzpatrick but he's fallen away after a decent start.

I always find it hard to back any of the favourites before a major, especially if their price is 16/1 or less. The fact that some bookies now offer 7+ E/W places may seem like a good thing at first glance, but they protect themselves by offering a book with an overround of about 140%. With the variance of bets that will get placed across almost every player involved in a golf tournament, the bookies won’t need to worry about turning a profit.

I wonder what sort of odds were being offered back in the 2000’s when Tiger was at the peak of his game. He must have been about 2/1 to win some events. 

3 hours ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Generally speaking bet365 are best for price on golf, but don't offer a great amount of places. Skybet are the opposite. BoyleSports are a decent balance between the 2.

I’ve not done the maths myself as there is too many selections to calculate, but the information I’ve seen has Bet365 best at 143% and 5 places paid, BoyleSports the worst at 165% (I don’t know how many places they pay as I don’t use them), and all the other main bookies somewhere in the middle of them two. 

11 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I’ve not done the maths myself as there is too many selections to calculate, but the information I’ve seen has Bet365 best at 143% and 5 places paid, BoyleSports the worst at 165% (I don’t know how many places they pay as I don’t use them), and all the other main bookies somewhere in the middle of them two. 

I'm sure I read something along the lines of bet365 being top price on something like 90% of all golfers on the 2 main tours. Boyles have been going 10 places loads this season.

Tbf I don't pay too much attention to the overround, If I'm getting 60/1 and 5 places or 50/1 and 10 places I'll take the extra places, if its someone at the top of the market I'll take the best price.

5 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

I'm sure I read something along the lines of bet365 being top price on something like 90% of all golfers on the 2 main tours. Boyles have been going 10 places loads this season.

Tbf I don't pay too much attention to the overround, If I'm getting 60/1 and 5 places or 50/1 and 10 places I'll take the extra places, if its someone at the top of the market I'll take the best price.

Aye it depends on what sort of prices you are backing at. A 60/1 shot only accounts for 1.67% of the book, but an 8/1 favourite accounts for 11.1%, and if you were consistently backing players at or around those sort of odds it represents terrible value no matter how many places are paid. I’m aware not many people will be backing an 8/1 shot e/w but it just shows how some bookies are able to operate with such terrible value and no one hardly bats an eyelid. 

Not long back from playing a stableford tourney at Pitreavie GC in Dunfermline. First time I’ve played it, was a very challenging course (if anyone calls a golf course a ‘track’, they want a punch in the face). Some huge slopes on the greens, two-tier greens, and in good nick’, especially the condition of the fairways and bunkers. Happy to have managed a nett 69 and 36 points. Won’t win feck’ all, but happy days - played nice and steady without doing anything deranged. 😜

And again 
Aye, another stinker. His heid was probably gone after yesterday’s horror show. 
He kept battling away on the front 9 and was only one over at the turn, but it looked like a proper towel thrown in job on the back 9.