Golfers Thread

Gaz

84 for a nett 67 in round 2 of our Memorial Trophy today in breezy conditions, well pleased with that.

Only the 12 shots better than my first round effort. [emoji85]
I had a net 67 last week 2nd in my division, followed up this week with a net 77 what a game eh, 67 in these conditions is good shooting mate well done

**Fantasy Golf League Week 14,15,16**

20220424_171907.thumb.jpg.dd536a7a8ce59021a9d87c5e61f6a8d3.jpg

looking for an update ?

Apologies lads, a combination of a family holiday, real life stuff and a natural inclination to be a procrastinating, lazy b*****d has meant a lack of updates until now. Normal service is now resuming.

Since the last time we've had...

13665263.thumb.jpg.35721c4186d30151d25df75025d42a25.jpg

Scottie Scheffler winning a green jacket at Augusta.

20220426_173049.thumb.jpg.d03476de629f62df68a42f8dc7819bc2.jpg

Jordan Spieth winning a tartan jacket at Harbour Town.

image-6.thumb.jpg.a902f62f8ed6cdb383a7a051f390579b.jpg

And Mr X and Patty Ice winning the WWE Tag Team Championship Belts at TPC Louisiana.

Standings 

@Distant Doonhamer top scored at The Masters with 670 points, thanks to the Scheffler-McIlroy 1-2, while @St. Jude has the highest total from the the last 3 weeks, racking up an impressive 810.

Overall Top 5

@Day of the Lords 2590

@Tartan Dave 2290

@Leeds Saint 2270

@St. Jude 2220

@Ro Sham Bo 2100

The Montgomerie

@Distant Doonhamer 2080

@die hard doonhamer 1950

@Slacker 1950

@funky_nomad 1810

@Central Belt Caley 1540

@IrishBhoy 1430

The Torrance 

@Leeds Saint 2270

@kilMARKnock 1940

@peasy23 1770

@alta-pete 1360

@lichtie23 1280

@Detective Jimmy McNulty 1050

The Lyle 

@Day of the Lords 2590

@Tartan Dave 2290

@The Moonster 1880

@MP_MFC 1790

@Caledonian1 1530

@true_rover 1180

The Lawrie

@St. Jude 2220

@Ro Sham Bo 2100

@J_Stewart 1780

@jagfox 1740

@Honest_Man#1 1640

@doulikefish 1190

portugal-golf-catalunya-p-g-a-stadium-img1.jpg.c01ae2e5e359818a3b394fa073d4a663.jpg

The DP World Tour seems to be back on track now. We're at the lovely PGA Catalunya this week. The Hojgaards, Weisberger and Bland giving us some Fantasy League interest here.

2.jpg.1854484dedd259d2cc46ce92f38dc1d0.jpg

A new event on the PGA Tour this week, The Mexico Open at the Greg Norman designed Vidanta Vallarta. Part of an expansive resort facility on (Antonio ?) Banderas Bay which includes another course designed by Jack Nicklaus, 5 hotels, a shopping centre a 10 hole floodlit par 3 course and the longest golf cart suspension bridge in the world !! Jon Rahm is a very short priced favourite to get his season back on track.

Almost forgot, @Day of the Lords your e/w free bet at The Masters returned £14 after young Willy Z sneaked into the Top 8 at Augusta.

1806050510_Screenshot_20220426-181934_SkyBet.jpg.61f971514d26270b6328d4d5fddf25b8.jpg

Let me know what you want to do with it. I can transfer it into your account or you can use it at The Open or USPGA if you prefer.

Fair play @Detective Jimmy McNulty, my interest in this thread is now almost entirely predicated on the Fantasy Golf game (real golf being hindered by a twice broken finger, a new dog (responsible for the previously quoted injuries), a house move and general weight gain/lazyb*****ditis of the last 12 months) so I had wondered where it had gone lately; thank you for brining it all back on track.

There's another thread in GN where today I reflected (off topic) on what is (I think) the greatest ever golf shot I've seen. More than 20 years after the event I can still remember lounging on the bed in a Sandals in Jamaica - the (then, now ex-) wife having drifted off into a post-coital blissful snooze - while i watched the closing stages of the 2000 Canadian Open. Tiger was way back and had to put in a storming performance to get back up the leaderboard, never mind win the thing. He had a blinding back 9 and on the 18th tee he needed I think a birdie to win..

A 500yd dogleg Par 5 and he sticks his drive into the bunker on the inside of the knuckle. Pulls out a 5 iron for the remaining 200+yds to the flag with about a 180yd carry over water. He didnt even flinch, catches it flush, knocks it 8ft past the pin.  2 putts, wins.

This potted youtube version doesnt really do the baws oot/skill/tension any justice of the previous 9 but is the best short version I can find:

I'm sure its already been done to death but;

whats the Golf Forum's idea of the greatest baws oot shot they've ever seen?

Edited by alta-pete

Stuff the Fantasy Golf (where I am doing horribly....come back Callum Hill I was relying on you) I am however really enjoying real gowf.  Shot a gross 77 last night in the Tuesday medal - last year our medals only started in May due to the severe damage done by the severe winter ice 9seven weeks on the greens damaged some for months but all now fully recovered)

Got cut from 9.4 to 8.7 - which is terrible timing as I am playing in the tassie at Carnoustie all next week (it has been on the go since 1920 but for the first time moved from usual September date to first week of May)  Prior to that I thought i would get some links golf practice (on what i consider possibly the toughest links course - Murcar) So, got the Scottish Ping Comp there on Friday - really good deal : £35 for breakfast lunch and 18 holes - top four in handicap and best scratch qualify for the Final at Trump Balmedie (utterly sensational course owned by an utterly big twatt)

Started playing a few General Play rounds (off white medal tees)  Think this has helped my game as I ee no point in bounce games off hte yellows as I love playing for my handicap and every shot counts. Excited for the rest of the season - but not the Fantasy season......

I’m the same as the post above - right back into it this year. Two massive rarities for me today - first off knocking it this close from the tee on a 200 yard par 3:

954F5B6C-E332-4421-85C8-927A2173EC63.thumb.jpeg.3e864d5b2d4e9485933636c7b582739a.jpeg

And secondly ending up with this run on the final five holes:

DC3C48D3-00D4-4060-B9F4-7C844BD45F35.jpeg.b875ff4fd0bb2fd18fcd4f45957bf2d2.jpeg

An 85 today - my best round in at least eight years and especially pleasing given I was late arriving at the course, arrived at the tee just in time for my time, and opened with double, double, triple bogey 😂

On 26/04/2022 at 18:24, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Almost forgot, @Day of the Lords your e/w free bet at The Masters returned £14 after young Willy Z sneaked into the Top 8 at Augusta.

1806050510_Screenshot_20220426-181934_SkyBet.jpg.61f971514d26270b6328d4d5fddf25b8.jpg

Let me know what you want to do with it. I can transfer it into your account or you can use it at The Open or USPGA if you prefer.

I'll probably just use it at the Open - will PM you my selections nearer the time. Thanks mate, awesome work 👍

14 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Is there anyone who enjoys real golf and fantasy golf? 

Yes, sir. Huge fan of both.

We've got our annual golf trip away this weekend, so away down to St Andrews to play Kingsbarns tomorrow and then the Torrance at the Fairmont on Saturday. Haven't played either before, so I'm very excited. Haven't played anywhere near as much as I'd like this year with a combination of still playing football and weather / dark nights limiting chances, so not expecting much, especially as I took my handicap significantly down when I was playing three times a week and have barely played 3 times this year since 😂

On the plus side, we'll be drinking from the moment we get there, so that'll at least numb the pain of any bad golf.

Played Ladybank today. Beautiful course and I can see why it’s been used for Open qualifying in the past. Was round in 85 (14+) after being given a course handicap of 12.2. Struck the ball the best I have this season with my irons but my driving was erratic to say the least. Too many drives ended up in the trees and I had to knock out onto the fairway, therefore making it very hard to make Par. 

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Played Ladybank today. Beautiful course and I can see why it’s been used for Open qualifying in the past. Was round in 85 (14+) after being given a course handicap of 12.2. Struck the ball the best I have this season with my irons but my driving was erratic to say the least. Too many drives ended up in the trees and I had to knock out onto the fairway, therefore making it very hard to make Par. 

Played there a few times you need to be straight off the tees..last couple of times I've retired the big dog and used my 2 iron off the tee just to keep it in play 

Aye, it took me about 3 years and countless missed buffers to work out that straight beats long every time at Ladybank 😆

The new bunker complexes are messing with that formula, though, as quite a few of the green entrances have been narrowed so hitting long irons in on certain holes is much trickier than it used to be, so driver is getting much more of an airing than it used to.

On 28/04/2022 at 10:05, J_Stewart said:

Yes, sir. Huge fan of both.

We've got our annual golf trip away this weekend, so away down to St Andrews to play Kingsbarns tomorrow and then the Torrance at the Fairmont on Saturday. Haven't played either before, so I'm very excited. Haven't played anywhere near as much as I'd like this year with a combination of still playing football and weather / dark nights limiting chances, so not expecting much, especially as I took my handicap significantly down when I was playing three times a week and have barely played 3 times this year since 😂

On the plus side, we'll be drinking from the moment we get there, so that'll at least numb the pain of any bad golf.

How did this go? Or are you still making your way up the 12th at Kingsbarns into the wind?