Golfers Thread

Gaz

12 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

More importantly, Calum Hill is apparently due to tee up on the DP Tour this week so my fantasy line up will finally reach full strength. 

good news ....i had high hopes for him.  I think he is going to be a top golfer....He is in my team too.

13 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Lefty Phil is out of the Masters seemingly 

He's definitely not suspended or anything though, just complete coincidence that his name was very quietly added to the past champions not playing list.

Talking of past champions who won't be there, good article about Angel Cabrera on the Bunkered website.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/angel-cabrera-the-major-champ-and-the-prison-of-hell

Played my first round with a GPS app today with the full course greens back on, it was magic. I usually just go by the markers on courses but thought I'd try an app today and it gave me so much more confidence hitting my approaches to greens knowing that I had the club right. Hit a couple of lovely 7 irons pin high. Still need to work on my 60-80 yard wedges and my putting game but I'm happy with how I'm playing leading into this season. Just need to get my handicap now and keep working at it. 

**Fantasy Golf League Week 11**

36314487.jpg.4043288ebb7bcee6ebeadb8ee745405c.jpg

Burns baby burns

Sam Burns made it back to back Valspar Championships after a play off win in Florida and in a huge shock, a South African won the DP World Tour event in South Africa.

We're around a quarter of the way through now and just 2 more weeks till Augusta.

Standings 

good week

@peasy23 was top man this week with 110.

th02.png.000431989c35d13ae2652fcc330f742b.png

bad week

4 players scored nul points this week, the roll of shame is as follows...

@MP_MFC

@Caledonian1

@J_Stewart

@Honest_Man#1

th06.png.f28f3818cdda458cb06d49f1ea1ff6ff.png

The Montgomerie 

@Slacker 1370

@Distant Doonhamer 1080

@funky_nomad 1060

@die hard doonhamer 1020

@IrishBhoy 960

@Central Belt Caley 920

The Torrance 

@Leeds Saint 1300

@kilMARKnock 1140

@peasy23 1060

@lichtie23 780

@alta-pete 770

@Detective Jimmy McNulty 540

The Lyle 

@Day of the Lords 1730

@Tartan Dave 1620

@The Moonster 1220

@Caledonian1 1130

@MP_MFC 990

@true_rover 650

The Lawrie 

@J_Stewart 1230

@St. Jude 1170

@jagfox OG 1140

@Ro Sham Bo 1130

@Honest_Man#1 850

@doulikefish 750

Some big scores needed in the next fortnight if anyone has hopes of catching the leaders in the Road to Augusta. But, it's a big week with 3 (shree) events this week.

subpage-Banner-pic.thumb.jpg.3aeaaceab9620c36b37f1a1753b93e0d.jpg

First up, the Qatar Masters on the DP World Tour in Doha. Standard field, desert golf with a slightly linksy feel and it promises to be pretty breezy this week.

20220322_190756.thumb.jpg.ad55c2a855079df5ee76fbef4bf6dd34.jpg

The PGA Tour is in the Dominican Republic for the Corales Puntacana Championship at the Puntacana Resort. Yet another course that has a name for it's finishing stretch. 'The Devil's Elbow'. (Hopefully not a euphemism)

20220322_160507.thumb.jpg.ac3e5019205078207ae6552d1ec7446d.jpg

And finally, the big one. Double points on offer at the WGC World Matchplay Championship at Austin Country Club in Texas. A Pete Dye design, short with lots of risk/reward options. The world's top 64, give or take a few withdrawals are all here. Fantasy points scored slightly different here due to the format. Last 16, last 8, then 4th, 3rd, 2nd and 1st.

Seeing as it's the Matchplay, we'll have the 2nd lot of group stage fixtures for our Matchplay this week too.

Group A

@Tartan Dave v @MP_MFC

@Honest_Man#1 v @Caledonian1

Group B

@Detective Jimmy McNulty v @Day of the Lords

@Central Belt Caley v @true_rover

Group C

@peasy23 v @alta-pete

@J_Stewart v @doulikefish

Group D

@die hard doonhamer v @funky_nomad

@The Moonster v @St. Jude

Group E

@lichtie23 v @kilMARKnock

@IrishBhoy v @Slacker

Group F

@Ro Sham Bo v @Leeds Saint

@Distant Doonhamer v @jagfox OG

Played The Renaissance Club yesterday. It’s obviously a nice enough course, but it’s probably not even in the top 10 of the area, never mind the country. Also don’t think it should be hosting the Scottish Open, as it’s not very linksy (somewhere between a typical American course and a Scottish links, so can understand why Americans might like it) so the pros must hate it as supposed prep for The Open.

Overall, it was nice, but if it wasn’t such an exclusive venue (apparently in the region of £80k to join) with the prestige/mystery that comes with that then doubt anyone would bother with it and would play the infinitely better Gullane, Luffness, North Berwick etc nearby instead.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Making Pieters play it out of the sprinkler 

Cheers. I thought that was odd at the time but the commentators seemed somewhat confused re the correct ruling. 
it was quite amusing given Pieters was already in major meltdown mode prior to the incident given he’d been 5 up and his lead was fast disappearing. Probably just as well he won. He really is a very angry guy 😂

33 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Cheers. I thought that was odd at the time but the commentators seemed somewhat confused re the correct ruling. 
it was quite amusing given Pieters was already in major meltdown mode prior to the incident given he’d been 5 up and his lead was fast disappearing. Probably just as well he won. He really is a very angry guy 😂

Wasn’t he recently on trial for some naughty behaviour on a flight back from Dubai? 

Rich Beem said something interesting during the broadcast. The rules can be changed throughout the week in a match play tournament but not in a stroke play tournament. 

Played West Kilbride during the week. Cracking course for £35, in great condition and lovely surroundings. Always like a course that has a mix of short and long par 4’s, majority of the par 4’s only required an iron off the tee and it helps when you are hitting your second shot from the fairway.

We were actually trying to get on Irvine but we couldn’t book online and they weren’t for answering the phone, so had a quick look around and decided on West Kilbride. Would definitely play the course again for that money, considering the municipal courses at Troon are £30 I thought it was excellent value.