Golfers Thread

Gaz

Callaway now ‘pausing’ their relationship with Mickleson. KPMG and Callaway have been with him for as long as I’ve watched golf, if they are feeling the need to withdraw sponsorship then I can’t see much of a future for him in the current game. Some of the stories coming out about his character are telling, he’s managed to portray a persona to the fans that looks to be a million miles away from the truth. 

This whole saga has been an absolute PR disaster for him, and hes burnt his bridges with both the PGA and the Saudis after his ‘crazy mofo’ comments. He looks to have wrecked his chance of ever being a Ryder Cup captain as well, which was always expected of him. His greed has well and truly destroyed any legacy he might have left in the game. 
Don't think much of his new logo.55e357e76e78511f62539a5b6c79fa2a.jpg

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Don't think much of his new logo.55e357e76e78511f62539a5b6c79fa2a.jpg

Seems like everyone is putting the boot in now. Just seen on Twitter that another of his sponsors, ‘Workday’, have cut ties. Seems he has tried to throw a US journalist under the bus by claiming his completely on the record comments were actually ‘off the record’, and guys who had been previously loyal to him are trying to distance themselves. Really can’t see him competing professionally again after this, not even on the Champions Tour, which he seemed to enjoy. 

Seems like everyone is putting the boot in now. Just seen on Twitter that another of his sponsors, ‘Workday’, have cut ties. Seems he has tried to throw a US journalist under the bus by claiming his completely on the record comments were actually ‘off the record’, and guys who had been previously loyal to him are trying to distance themselves. Really can’t see him competing professionally again after this, not even on the Champions Tour, which he seemed to enjoy. 
Alan Shipnuck is the journalist, he's said that never at any point did Phil ask for any of the interview to be off the record. Quite a few other writers have tweeted in support of Shipnuck, saying that they would believe him 100%.

21 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
24 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Alan Shipnuck is the journalist, he's said that never at any point did Phil ask for any of the interview to be off the record. Quite a few other writers have tweeted in support of Shipnuck, saying that they would believe him 100%.

Yeah it looks like he has been happy to be interviewed at a time when he was confident the LIV backed Tour was gaining traction. Now that big hitters like BCD and Koepka have read the room and managed to back out of any commitments they may or may not have made, Phil realises that he doesn’t have the support he thought he had and is claiming underhand tactics from the journalist.

How do you see this ending for Phil? Do you think he will be playing in The Masters?

41 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yeah it looks like he has been happy to be interviewed at a time when he was confident the LIV backed Tour was gaining traction. Now that big hitters like BCD and Koepka have read the room and managed to back out of any commitments they may or may not have made, Phil realises that he doesn’t have the support he thought he had and is claiming underhand tactics from the journalist.

How do you see this ending for Phil? Do you think he will be playing in The Masters?

Phil will play the masters but with slazenger balls and the Donnay slammer

He's proved repeatedly over the years that you couldn't mark his neck with a blow torch, so I would be shocked if he doesn't rock up at Augusta as if nothing has happened.

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Captain Fowler makes another cut on the pga.

Rickie is one of my fav golfers and making him captain of my dream team was a wee bit optimistic but I think most would be glad to see him back challenging

Nobody "deserves" a Major win as such, but he's one of those guys everyone would like to see get one

41 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Danny Berger off to a shocker at the Honda. 5 shot lead now cut to 1. C**t must know Iv got him in my fantasy side 

He's in my team too. 

I was watching it last night and couldn't help but get some bad vibes when he bogeyed the par 5 last and turned a potential 7 shot lead into a 5 shot lead. 

Zach Johnson confirmed as the US Ryder Cup captain
To the surprise of absolutely nobody tbh. There weren't really any other candidates after Mickelson's heads gone. No way Stricker or Furyk were doing it again, which only really left Johnson or giving DL3 another go.

Saw a few US articles pushing for Couples, but you would have to think that he has been off the tour too long.