Golfers Thread

Gaz

7 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Mickelson trying to walk it back and taking a "break from golf". He's an absolute cretin and I'll be delighted if he never plays top level golf again. A proper c**t.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/golf/news/33694/12549037/phil-mickelson-apologies-for-reckless-saudi-super-league-comments-and-says-he-is-taking-a-break-from-golf

I used to quite like him, but he's been shown up time and again in recent years as a right piece of work. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

22 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

There was apparently a meeting today to discuss a possible suspension.

The 2 biographies coming out about Mickelson soon will make interesting reading.

Ah so he's taking a break in the same way DJ took a break a few years back?

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Ah so he's taking a break in the same way DJ took a break a few years back?

Possibly, although I would imagine the PGA might want to make the suspension very public to deter any future nonsense.

6 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Wasn’t DJ suspended for enjoying a bit of “powder” on occasions? 

Rumours were he failed 3 drug tests over a couple of years but I don't think the PGA ever announced he was suspended. Merely a leave of absence.

There was apparently a meeting today to discuss a possible suspension.
The 2 biographies coming out about Mickelson soon will make interesting reading.
Saw this tweet earlier. The inference being that he has always been a c**t, but it's only now that he is letting the public really see that side of him.

13 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

There's rumours he's blown most of his money on gambling and crypto and has had to sell his private jet.

He sold his private jet a few years back. Think it’s a lot more than rumours and is pretty well accepted that Mickleson has a big gambling issue. 

DJ and Bryson have only come out with their statements because Mickleson’s interview has been leaked. By a lot of accounts they were fully signed on to the Saudi league albeit with a break clause in the contracts. 

Also delightful to see Greg Norman suffer. The guy is a dick. Was surprised to see someone wrote they’ve lost respect for him given that he’s pretty well regarded as an arsehole. No Laying Up had the agent who first signed Tiger on the other day and he said Norman was the most egotistical person he had ever met or worked with. 

I’ve always hated fat Phil. His “real sweet Americana guy just like your mums apple pie” routine always seemed fake af.

Over in Tenerife for a week with the wife, managed to get a game round Abama yesterday. Greens weren’t amazing, although not bad, but the layout and views are outstanding

3a8f03ea7e5676d37f9e7d5aceb862b8.jpg
67f7c09ee186d256c30433ba49f34faf.jpg
403e66497ead696b5ef9e6f29f8a961b.jpg
cf6e169118c4d850012512b352485049.jpg

Was playing with a German guy and his Canadian wife (mine was driving our buggy [emoji23]). They were very nice, but also pretty shite, so it took like 5 hours. HOWEVER, the spawny git got a hole in one and I was the only one that saw it. Hit his tee shot 40 feet to the left, had a bank and started rolling back, he was obviously happy enough it was going on the green so walked off the tee. I was next up so kept watching as it rolled, rolled, and disappeared straight in the hole [emoji23] he still wouldn’t believe it when we got up and his wife went to look. She did a wee fake out and went off looking over the back, then started shouting and celebrating. Was quality, even though I was raging my 6 iron to 4 foot and subsequent birdie was overshadowed [emoji23]
34a75c39a0a0854e5cd1e3303c376f36.jpg

Treated us to a champagne lunch after to celebrate which was very nice of them. Was great to get a swing (first this year), and playing Adeje tomorrow so hopefully be just as enjoyable, if not slightly shorter duration (wife is surprisingly not coming for that one [emoji23]).

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Quite bizarre stat that Patrick Reed is losing distance off the tee while everyone else is getting longer.

Wee shame that. 

I can only guess he's been wild with the full-out Driver, so is hitting controlled drivers/fairway woods/rescues off the tee to stay on the short stuff. 

Reed playing shite, Mickelson outing himself as a complete cretin and Greg Norman having a comedy heads-gone are most pleasing developments this week. 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Quite bizarre stat that Patrick Reed is losing distance off the tee while everyone else is getting longer.

Reading the comments there he's being a bit misleading. He's lost 11 yards in 3 years (296-285), which obviously isn't great but not as drastic as the original tweet makes it seem.

Callaway now ‘pausing’ their relationship with Mickleson. KPMG and Callaway have been with him for as long as I’ve watched golf, if they are feeling the need to withdraw sponsorship then I can’t see much of a future for him in the current game. Some of the stories coming out about his character are telling, he’s managed to portray a persona to the fans that looks to be a million miles away from the truth. 

This whole saga has been an absolute PR disaster for him, and hes burnt his bridges with both the PGA and the Saudis after his ‘crazy mofo’ comments. He looks to have wrecked his chance of ever being a Ryder Cup captain as well, which was always expected of him. His greed has well and truly destroyed any legacy he might have left in the game.