Golfers Thread

Gaz

Picked up the sticks for the first time since August at the weekend, albeit indoors on a simulator at the golf club playing one of those fake American courses. Sitting down between shots was required after about an hour (particularly by my mates, who were giving it laldy on the fizz, jammy bassas...). Driver was fine, but I couldn't hit an iron to save myself - we were on auto-putt and I still finished 20-odd over par... 🥴

Hopefully things will be better when I finally get some turf under my feet, whenever that is.

Anyway, I'm now thinking seriously about using a trolley for the first time in my life. I don't think I'm psychologically ready for an electronic version, so any tips on a good value pull trolley? I like the look of the Druids kit, which usually retails around £120 including accessories (cooler bag, brolly holder kinda things).

All thoughts welcome (other than "buy an electric trolley" - it's no' happenin'!)

3 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Picked up the sticks for the first time since August at the weekend, albeit indoors on a simulator at the golf club playing one of those fake American courses. Sitting down between shots was required after about an hour (particularly by my mates, who were giving it laldy on the fizz, jammy bassas...). Driver was fine, but I couldn't hit an iron to save myself - we were on auto-putt and I still finished 20-odd over par... 🥴

Hopefully things will be better when I finally get some turf under my feet, whenever that is.

Anyway, I'm now thinking seriously about using a trolley for the first time in my life. I don't think I'm psychologically ready for an electronic version, so any tips on a good value pull trolley? I like the look of the Druids kit, which usually retails around £120 including accessories (cooler bag, brolly holder kinda things).

All thoughts welcome (other than "buy an electric trolley" - it's no' happenin'!)

My trolley cost a tenner mate and works just fine. Nothing fancy, just a run of the mill trolley. Folds up easily and gets me round the course 

9 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Oh dear sorry to hear that.......I had to use a trolley for a season when I was still recovering from an ankle operation - I absolutely hated it....back to carrying clubs as soon as I could.  I still have the trollley and will only use when it is absolutely pishing doon....carrying clubs isnt much fun in the wet (back gets soaked) I am 57 and certainly no plans to stop carrying - its a far better work out too.

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Oh dear sorry to hear that.......I had to use a trolley for a season when I was still recovering from an ankle operation - I absolutely hated it....back to carrying clubs as soon as I could.  I still have the trollley and will only use when it is absolutely pishing doon....carrying clubs isnt much fun in the wet (back gets soaked) I am 57 and certainly no plans to stop carrying - its a far better work out too.

Aye, I'm hoping using a trolley is a temporary thing - my "usual" Saturday involves carrying for 36 holes, which will definitely be beyond me for a period, so I'm thinking if adopting a hybrid approach this coming season while I build my strength back up.

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I didn't think I was ready for an electric trolley either, but I managed to get an ex rental one fairly cheap, and it's a game changer. I still carry at least half the time, but when you're playing 36 holes in a day or even just playing 2/3 days in a row, even the odd round with the trolley doing the work for you is a gamechanger.

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I have one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bullet-Cruiser-5000-Deluxe-Compact-3-Wheel-Foldable-Golf-Trolley-Push-Pull-Cart-/402810196251?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

would highly recommend. I’ve always been a lazy b*****d and used a trolley. Push/pull, rather than just a pull one, makes a big difference. 

I'm a trolley guy tbh, but I have a cheap lightweight bag in my locker and I'll occasionally stick a half set in that for a few holes in the summer evenings.
I use a carry bag through the winter, still got 10 clubs in it though. Don't have as much stuff to carry as chances are I'll be wearing all the clothes I need rather than having waterproofs in the bag. Also more chance I'll play less than a full round in winter depending on conditions or if winter greens are on.

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Looks my decision not to renew his contract in my fantasy team was a good one 

My first season and have him firmly installed as Captain........have some faith

He is picking up as many points as Callum Hill....any word on whn he might be fit?

Five scots made the cut - great opportunity to pick up decent money over the weekend.

On 25/01/2022 at 17:50, funky_nomad said:

Are you playing on a nice flat course most of the time? I’ve used a push trolley once at one of the municipal courses at Troon, and even though it was a fairly level course it was a pain in the arse having to pull it up even slight inclines as well as trying to keep a hold of it going down. I know you’ve said no to an electric one but the extra bit of torque they provide makes a lot of difference in those situations. This is not to put you off getting one, but I personally find them more hassle than their worth and will always carry my clubs until I’m physically unable to do so. Needing to leave your clubs on the fairway when your in hunting for your ball in the rough or amongst trees etc is a nuisance and you can’t take it onto some tee boxes or around the green. 

I’ve not swung a club since last October and turned down the chance to play the Gailes during the week because I just knew I would be absolutely honking and wouldn’t do the course justice. Driving range tonight and tomorrow with a friend who’s just started having lessons so hopefully I look like Tiger Woods beside him. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Yep, seen a few posts on Twitter that he was told to give it up by the R&A, with Martin Slumbers having contacted Andrew's advisors with the message being that a relinquishment was expected.

So Zalatoris shat the bed last night and in an event worth double points Tommy, Bernd and Van Rooyen are off to absolute shockers! 

Could be time for me to give them a Dick Campbell style rollicking that takes the paint off the wall