Golfers Thread

Gaz

4 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

or come back to the World (European) tour....I would far rather watch golf over here than some of the nonsense that takes place in the USA

Winning scores 25- to 30- are boring 

Thats why I absolutely loved the 99 Open at Carnoustie 

Edited by lichtie23

1 minute ago, Lester Freamon said:

It's for the American TV audiences. They like to see big bombs off the tee, wedges to 5ft and loads of birdies, with the exception of the US Open.

Correct, they're idiots.  Target golf is incredibly boring.  You want to see players challenged and show their skills, not cruise round a course.  

31 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

or come back to the World (European) tour....I would far rather watch golf over here than some of the nonsense that takes place in the USA

Just what I was going to say. Its a bit disappointing he has chosen to play over the instead of a Rolex event. Christ, even Rory made the effort to come over. 

19 minutes ago, Tynie Pumblechook said:

Correct, they're idiots.  Target golf is incredibly boring.  You want to see players challenged and show their skills, not cruise round a course.  

Unfortunately this is what sells TV and advertising in the States.

It's for the American TV audiences. They like to see big bombs off the tee, wedges to 5ft and loads of birdies, with the exception of the US Open.
The course set up means there is very little advantage gained for driving the ball well. Watched a few bits on Friday and Saturday and guys were missing fairways by miles but still getting it close to the hole with no problems.

**Fantasy Golf League Week 3**

20220125_094542.thumb.jpg.5f2993e17446dbdc1cf16b8198e25ebc.jpg

Tam the man

A 6th career win for big Tam Pieters at the Yas Links. Can he kick on and become the top 10 golfer everyone predicted back in 2016 ? Hudson Swafford won the Amex ahead of household names such as *checks notes* Tom Hoge and Lee Hodges ?

Standings 

It was double points in Abu Dhabi. 3 teams had Pieters, but @Slacker also had 2nd placed Rafa Cabrera Bello and so racked up an eye-watering 410 points including bonuses to take the overall lead. Early days yet though.

The Montgomerie 

@Slacker 510

@IrishBhoy 350

@Central Belt Caley 230

@funky_nomad 210

@Distant Doonhamer 180

@die hard doonhamer 170

The Torrance

@lichtie23 210

@Leeds Saint 200

@peasy23 180

@kilMARKnock 140

@Lester Freamon 140

@alta-pete 90

The Lyle 

@Day of the Lords 460

@Tartan Dave 380

@The Moonster 190

@true_rover 180

@Caledonian1 160

@MP_MFC 120

The Lawrie 

@jagfox OG 390

@J_Stewart 260

@doulikefish 190

@Ro Sham Bo 160

@St. Jude 160

@Honest_Man#1 80

emirates-dubai.jpg.5484f167abaa13ca7cc8697048cffcff.jpg

Double points again on the DP World Tour for the Dubai Desert Classic. A high class field are looking to follow in the footsteps of an illustrious list of former winners including Tiger, Els, O'Meara and Stephen Gallacher. The course is typical desert/parkland style but is remembered by most for the views of the Dubai skyline and the clubhouse that looks like the cute wee tents.

torrey-pines-north-10-aerial-sunset-72ppi-2000x1522.thumb.jpeg.57b40c70d3bf5c442905c002d75b899e.jpeg

After a quiet week last time, the PGA picks up this week with a strong field for The Farmers Insurance (The Fermers ?) at timeless Torrey Pines, the scene of some famous US Open performances including last year's by John Rahm. No "piece of shit set up, fucking putting contest" this week John.

reface-2021-06-24-07-14-01.gif.9f23102c972e24fecca94bc88b78d23e.gif

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Congrats @Slackeron a great week. Looks like I’m 8th in the overall which is an ok start. 

Can you remind me of how it’s working this year? Overall winner and winners of the groups into the playoffs? 

Yeah, an overall 123 and also the 4 winners of the groups go forward for a mini league in the last 3 weeks.

There's also the Matchplay which will kick off next week.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Listening to Bryson on a podcast on my lunch…..difficult for me to admit this but he comes across really well and I’m enjoying listening to him 

He can come across well in this setting and I susepct his sponsors/management team have insisted he has some coaching with regard to this. If he can take that this better personna onto the golf course then all credit to him. I very much doubt he can though as at heart he's a self-entitled arse with scant regard for the sport or his opponents. No doubt he's box office though. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer