Golfers Thread

Gaz

I played Piperdam back in September 2020 and thought it was decent. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve played far better courses but I’ve also played a hell of a lot worse courses. 

Played Downfield on the same trip and was blown away by how good their greens are. Was going to try and play their open in August but its already full 😂

3 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I played Piperdam back in September 2020 and thought it was decent. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve played far better courses but I’ve also played a hell of a lot worse courses. 

Played Downfield on the same trip and was blown away by how good their greens are. Was going to try and play their open in August but its already full 😂

Yes, their greens were really fast in their Open last year.  We booked in a few weeks ago for this August.  A wee bit disappointed that our regular Dundee triple header is scuppered this year.  Downfield was always the first Sat in August, Monifieth Open the day after and last couple of years we have entered the Panmure senior open on the monday morning - usually stay in Broughty Ferry and its a great weekend.  We have booked both Monifieth and Panmure but they are a couple of weeks later this year.

The Tassie returns after a break of two years but is first week in May this year after being second week of September for almost a century. Always like to peak for that week but suspect it may come too early for me this year.

9 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Yes, their greens were really fast in their Open last year.  We booked in a few weeks ago for this August.  A wee bit disappointed that our regular Dundee triple header is scuppered this year.  Downfield was always the first Sat in August, Monifieth Open the day after and last couple of years we have entered the Panmure senior open on the monday morning - usually stay in Broughty Ferry and its a great weekend.  We have booked both Monifieth and Panmure but they are a couple of weeks later this year.

The Tassie returns after a break of two years but is first week in May this year after being second week of September for almost a century. Always like to peak for that week but suspect it may come too early for me this year.

Do they still do the Monifieth 36 hole open in August? I used to play loads of these competitions as they were a great way to get cheap golf on other courses generally in top condition. Monifieth was particularly though though, especially in years it was used as final qualifying for Carnoustie. Dry, very fast and utterly brutal rough. Glorious layout though.

I never ever got into Downfield's 18 hole open, it was always full really early. We did play there in a 6 man team and county matches though. A great and actually not difficult course if you were decent off the tee. I always thought Camperdown was a better layout (and just over the fence). Sadly it was a muni, and DCC have basically binned it. A real shame. 

The best one to get into was the Blairgowrie Scratch Open. £30 to play 18 each on Rosemount and Lansdowne off the backs (this was in the 90s. God knows how much it is now).  

6 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

Great reading, cheers gents. Looking forward to whatever we chose, just hope I manage to stumble back to The Fishermans in one piece! 

Good luck. Arbroath is actually OK in it's own right, it's just surrounded by a few absolutely magnificent courses. If the rough isn't wild, you can pretty much hit it anywhere on a few of the holes. 

19 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

The best one to get into was the Blairgowrie Scratch Open. £30 to play 18 each on Rosemount and Lansdowne off the backs (this was in the 90s. God knows how much it is now).  

Played in this last year and already booked in for this year. £60 to play both courses and your lunch included at half time is outstanding value imo. Think a round on either course is about £100 these days

15 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Played in this last year and already booked in for this year. £60 to play both courses and your lunch included at half time is outstanding value imo. Think a round on either course is about £100 these days

That's tremendous tbf

First full 18 of the year today.Normally play front or back 9 til the weather picks up but started on the front and just kept going . Winter mitts were deployed along with pick clean and place but 80 blows in total which is fine for this time of the year 

Edited by doulikefish

Good week for Russell Knox on PGA tour with a tied 7th finish in the Sony Open in Hawaii. Matsuyama won the event with an eagle 3 at the first play off hole. 
Unreal play by Matsuyama. I loved how the sun was in his eyes and he couldn't see just how close his approach was. Makes me want to move abroad!

34 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:
7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:
Good week for Russell Knox on PGA tour with a tied 7th finish in the Sony Open in Hawaii. Matsuyama won the event with an eagle 3 at the first play off hole. 

Unreal play by Matsuyama. I loved how the sun was in his eyes and he couldn't see just how close his approach was. Makes me want to move abroad!

It also sometimes has the other issue of watching a glorious strike soar into the sun right on line, and when you walk up to the green, you’re through the back in a bush.

**Fantasy Golf League Week 2**

20220117_160618.thumb.jpg.a17a549219c5e2674d5c24d91d9b52f2.jpg

The Last Samurai 

Hideki started his own Road to Augusta by swording the field in Hawaii. He's also a complete psychopath for teeing the ball up like this. Gives me the absolute fear.

Standings

A good week for anyone who had Matsuyama and a bad week for the 10 teams who scored a big fat zero. Unlucky.

The Montgomerie 

@IrishBhoy 160

@funky_nomad 150

@die hard doonhamer 130

@Central Belt Caley 120

@Slacker 100

@Distant Doonhamer 90

The Torrance

@peasy23 160

@lichtie23 140

@Leeds Saint 100

@alta-pete 80

@kilMARKnock 80

@Lester Freamon 80

The Lyle 

@Tartan Dave 230

@true_rover 150

@Day of the Lords 140

@Caledonian1 90

@The Moonster 80

@MP_MFC 80

The Lawrie

@J_Stewart 180

@jagfox OG 170

@doulikefish 160

@St. Jude 120

@Ro Sham Bo 80

@Honest_Man#1 60

1920_dpwt-launch-1920x1080.thumb.jpg.ea7b1d1e776e23ebb178c6a045b22659.jpg

After all that exhibition nonsense in Hawaii, it's time for the serious stuff to start. The DP World Tour kicks off this week, double points on offer in the desert as Hatton, Casey, Rory and others start their 2022 campaign in the flagship Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship at the Yas Links, "the first true links in the Middle East".

Enlight1-2.jpg.045f9f595a06c3692dc79d60f6004146.jpg

hpslide2017_005-1.thumb.jpg.1e3db238631816cd58789566423e3079.jpg

The PGA heads to La Quinta for The American Express, the first of the many Pete Dye courses on tour. This one is typical Dye, plenty sand and water, man made humps and hollows and a par 3 island green. The first week of a 4 week West Coast Swing.

Edited by Lester Freamon