Golfers Thread

Gaz

Evening gents, with the BBC unfairly sending us to Arbroath for a 2nd Friday night game it does open up the opportunity of some golf on the Saturday before heading home if the weather looks favourable (always play better with a stinking hamgiver and half drunk 😂). Golf Now have both Montrose and Arbroath links available at very reasonable rates compared to the usual prices when we head to The Ferry for a weekend. All thoughts on these greatly received or any other suggestions?

16 minutes ago, kilMARKnock said:

Evening gents, with the BBC unfairly sending us to Arbroath for a 2nd Friday night game it does open up the opportunity of some golf on the Saturday before heading home if the weather looks favourable (always play better with a stinking hamgiver and half drunk 😂). Golf Now have both Montrose and Arbroath links available at very reasonable rates compared to the usual prices when we head to The Ferry for a weekend. All thoughts on these greatly received or any other suggestions?

You can come play Kingennie (9 holer) with me if you want mate 

1 hour ago, kilMARKnock said:

If you haven't played Montrose before, get in there before it disappears into the sea.

7 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

If you haven't played Montrose before, get in there before it disappears into the sea.

Ah, this may be a great shout then. Is it not one of the oldest in the world or something. Will have a better look on their site. Cheers tonyou and Lichtie for coming back. 

Ah, this may be a great shout then. Is it not one of the oldest in the world or something. Will have a better look on their site. Cheers tonyou and Lichtie for coming back. 
5th oldest iirc. I haven't played the medal for years. The par 5 on the front nine must have been a terrifying proposition 30 years ago before the original tee fell into the North Sea. Still a serious golf course on a windy day though. 16 and 17 back into the wind are hilariously difficult.

15 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

You might want to try Monifieth - I love that course (as well as Panmure - but lot more difficult to get on)

I would definitely play Montrose before Arbroath

22 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
6 hours ago, kilMARKnock said:

5th oldest iirc. I haven't played the medal for years. The par 5 on the front nine must have been a terrifying proposition 30 years ago before the original tee fell into the North Sea. Still a serious golf course on a windy day though. 16 and 17 back into the wind are hilariously difficult.

The 16th at Montrose is my favourite long par three anywhere in the world (over 200yds) Around 235yds with a wonderfully undulating green which I have seen four and five putted.     I play in the Tassie at Carnoustie pretty much every year and dont get the hype about the 16th hole there - indeed, I would say its my least favourite hole on the entire course (the 13th being the best par three by a long way)

The 17th at Montrose is a great hole but incredibly tough into the wind. OOB comes into play with your tee shot and then it is typically a fairly lengthy shot to the raise green - pull it left (as I often do when trying to force a long iron) and its in the gorse.  I believe Anders Forsbrand went into aforementioned gorse in 1999 qualifying and got a 15.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

The 16th at Montrose is my favourite long par three anywhere in the world (over 200yds) Around 235yds with a wonderfully undulating green which I have seen four and five putted.     I play in the Tassie at Carnoustie pretty much every year and dont get the hype about the 16th hole there - indeed, I would say its my least favourite hole on the entire course (the 13th being the best par three by a long way)

The 17th at Montrose is a great hole but incredibly tough into the wind. OOB comes into play with your tee shot and then it is typically a fairly lengthy shot to the raise green - pull it left (as I often do when trying to force a long iron) and its in the gorse.  I believe Anders Forsbrand went into aforementioned gorse in 1999 qualifying and got a 15.

Great, 15 something to aim for 😂

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

It's a cracking finish to the course tbh. I think i last played there in a Mens Open in 1996 off the back tees (employing a two drivers strategy years before Mickelson 😂). 16 and 17 were into a strong wind which was bordering on comical. I absolutely melted a full out driver on 16 to the edge of the green and infuriatingly three-jabbed. Before hitting Driver/4 iron/4 Iron to get on the front edge of 17 to make a bogey. The easiest of the three was 18 from which I decided to try and smash a high draw with a driver into a left to right crosswind. I completely fucked it and hit a massive fade when already aiming right of centre. Not only did I miss the entire 18th hole but I think it bounced once on the neighbouring fairway and rocketed into some ridiculous gorse. I didn't even bother looking for it. Absolutely seething by that point 😂 

Basically I finished Bogey/Bogey/Triple having been stood on the 16th tee 2 over par, playing off 8. I was fucking gutted as even a bogey on the last would have seen me well in the prizes. The CSS was also something mad like 75 or 76. 

The 16th at Carnoustie is weird - it looks like it's been lifted straight from Caird Park and dumped into a Championship course. 

Anyway, the correct order of quality links in Angus, is (discounting the expensive AF Carnoustie)

1. Panmure
  2. Montrose
  3. Monifieth Medal
  4. Buddon
  5. Monifieth Ashludie
  6. Arbroath
  7. Broomie (Montrose)

I haven't played the Burnside so can't rank it but I'll assume it's probably better than Arbroath or the Broomie 😂

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

It's a cracking finish to the course tbh. I think i last played there in a Mens Open in 1996 off the back tees (employing a two drivers strategy years before Mickelson 😂). 16 and 17 were into a strong wind which was bordering on comical. I absolutely melted a full out driver on 16 to the edge of the green and infuriatingly three-jabbed. Before hitting Driver/4 iron/4 Iron to get on the front edge of 17 to make a bogey. The easiest of the three was 18 from which I decided to try and smash a high draw with a driver into a left to right crosswind. I completely fucked it and hit a massive fade when already aiming right of centre. Not only did I miss the entire 18th hole but I think it bounced once on the neighbouring fairway and rocketed into some ridiculous gorse. I didn't even bother looking for it. Absolutely seething by that point 😂 

Basically I finished Bogey/Bogey/Triple having been stood on the 16th tee 2 over par, playing off 8. I was fucking gutted as even a bogey on the last would have seen me well in the prizes. The CSS was also something mad like 75 or 76. 

The 16th at Carnoustie is weird - it looks like it's been lifted straight from Caird Park and dumped into a Championship course. 

Anyway, the correct order of quality links in Angus, is (discounting the expensive AF Carnoustie)

1. Panmure
  2. Montrose
  3. Monifieth Medal
  4. Buddon
  5. Monifieth Ashludie
  6. Arbroath
  7. Broomie (Montrose)

I haven't played the Burnside so can't rank it but I'll assume it's probably better than Arbroath or the Broomie 😂

1. Monifieth
  2. Panmure
  3. Montrose
  4. Buddon
  5. Burnside

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:
  1. Monifieth
  2. Panmure
  3. Montrose
  4. Buddon
  5. Burnside

I haven't played Montrose for years so f**k knows what it's like now, especially the 6th (I think) which has probably been horrendously eroded. Controversially (perhaps) I actually think Panmure is better than the Carnoustie Championship.

Monifieth is a weird one - I've always generally scored OK round it but without feeling like I've massively enjoyed playing it. Well apart from the year it was used as qualifying for the 1999 Open when it was so fast and dry it was almost unplayable. 

I enjoy course lists 😂

Angus/Dundee non-links courses: 

1. Letham Grange (Old) - Magnificent in the 90s
  2. Edzell Medal
  3. Camperdown
  4. Downfield
  5. Kirriemuir
  6. Forfar
  7. Brechin
  8. Kingennie
  9. Royal Whitfield/Ballumbie
  10. Edzell Westwater
  11. Guthrie Castle

Various driving ranges

MY old back garden

every pitch and putt in tayside

..... 47. Piperdam

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:

I haven't played Montrose for years so f**k knows what it's like now, especially the 6th (I think) which has probably been horrendously eroded. Controversially (perhaps) I actually think Panmure is better than the Carnoustie Championship.

Monifieth is a weird one - I've always generally scored OK round it but without feeling like I've massively enjoyed playing it. Well apart from the year it was used as qualifying for the 1999 Open when it was so fast and dry it was almost unplayable. 

I enjoy course lists 😂

Angus/Dundee non-links courses: 

1. Letham Grange (Old) - Magnificent in the 90s
  2. Edzell Medal
  3. Camperdown
  4. Downfield
  5. Kirriemuir
  6. Forfar
  7. Brechin
  8. Kingennie
  9. Royal Whitfield/Ballumbie
  10. Edzell Westwater
  11. Guthrie Castle

Various driving ranges

MY old back garden

every pitch and putt in tayside

..... 47. Piperdam

I have played Montrose loads and always find it an enjoyable round.  The sixth has become a pretty straightforward par five and always a birdie opportunity. The erosion is really sad and would take millions to address properly.  Last time I played in September the third tee had gone.......wonder if second tee gone by now too.

I would absolutely put Carnoustie Championship on top of the list - way above Panmure.  It's just magnificent and probably my favourite golf course anywhere.

Havent played too many on your inland list but I would have Downfield top.  Can't say I was a huge fan of Letham Grange - bit of a slog.  Don't get the hype about Edzell...why play it when so many good links courses in the area.  Actually played Ballumbie last year and after first few holes it was acceptable (but well down any list).  However in my opinion you also rate Piperdam far too favourably

53 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I have played Montrose loads and always find it an enjoyable round.  The sixth has become a pretty straightforward par five and always a birdie opportunity. The erosion is really sad and would take millions to address properly.  Last time I played in September the third tee had gone.......wonder if second tee gone by now too.

I would absolutely put Carnoustie Championship on top of the list - way above Panmure.  It's just magnificent and probably my favourite golf course anywhere.

Havent played too many on your inland list but I would have Downfield top.  Can't say I was a huge fan of Letham Grange - bit of a slog.  Don't get the hype about Edzell...why play it when so many good links courses in the area.  Actually played Ballumbie last year and after first few holes it was acceptable (but well down any list).  However in my opinion you also rate Piperdam far too favourably

I wouldn't recommend Downfield for winter golf. Even when open quite often a limited number of full greens and even some holes closed.

Checking the status today:-

Course Open.........

9 Full Greens on

Only holes 2 & 3 remain closed....

Cracking course but plenty of better options at this time of year. 

Agree re Carnoustie Championship. It's magnificent. Panmure and Montrose both excellent IMHO.

Piperdam remains the worst course I've ever played, by some distance. I believe it's been remodelled a bit but it was a total farce first few times I played it. The first few holes up the hill were hilarious, followed by a joke 200 yard par 3 that was both massively back downhill and clearly not measured properly.