Golfers Thread

Gaz

Did you get fitted for it?
No, but I took a lot of advice from a friend who is a pro. I still had all the data from when I was fitted for irons, and bought off the shelf on his recommendation. That was mainly because I was looking at waiting for months for a fitting though, I probably would have went for one if I could.

8 hours ago, Ayr23 said:

Fellow golfers... I'm in need of some advice. Apologies if it's too wordy.

I'm a 20 odd handicapper, and I've really only been playing seriously for the past 18 months, and joined my first club last March. I've been getting better slowly but surely, particularly over the last few months. I never used to touch my driver, but I can actually hit it now and I am noticing my scores coming down. However, I inherited this driver from a late family member, and it turns out its 18 years old! TaylorMade R7 425. The grip is poor, and I don't have the tool for the adjustable weights.

My questions are, is it worth getting fitted for a new driver, or do I pick one up off the shelf? Do I keep playing with the 18 year old driver if it's starting to work, or would I notice a big difference with a club with new tech etc?

My playing partner who is of a similar standard picked up a new Cobra driver last year and his drives have improved drastically. I really fancy the new TaylorMade Stealth or Callaway Rouge ST. I'm willing to invest if it helps my game. I probably played 70-80 rounds in 2021 and aim to play more this year.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've been a single-figure handicapper all my adult life, and I was using the R7 right until I got fitted for a full set last year - it's a terrific, reliable driver, and still looks great. I'm keeping a hold of mine just in case the new Titleist TSi starts to let me down at any stage! 

Your pro will probably have a spare tool on the workshop if you need a quick adjustment.

You're probably losing a wee bit of distance due to the age of the shaft, but reliability/trust trumps distance at club level anyway.

If you intend spending any decent money, a fitting is pretty much essential - but don't be afraid of getting a basic set-up fitting and buying pre-owned.

29 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

I've been a single-figure handicapper all my adult life, and I was using the R7 right until I got fitted for a full set last year - it's a terrific, reliable driver, and still looks great. I'm keeping a hold of mine just in case the new Titleist TSi starts to let me down at any stage! 

Your pro will probably have a spare tool on the workshop if you need a quick adjustment.

You're probably losing a wee bit of distance due to the age of the shaft, but reliability/trust trumps distance at club level anyway.

If you intend spending any decent money, a fitting is pretty much essential - but don't be afraid of getting a basic set-up fitting and buying pre-owned.

Which TSi are you using?

@Ayr23  also a 20+ handicapper here (embarrassingly so in this new WG system) but if you’re inconsistently wrong with all sorts of issues with that club, a new one won’t fix it. Or, if you know you’ve got a specific problem with it, a fitting and a talk with a pro will be worth at least as much as the club. 

Was gifted a couple of lessons at Gleneagles as an Xmas present this year. Slightly embarrassed that the young chap (younger than my son 😳) had me moving in all sorts of ways that stretched muscles that I don’t think I’ve used in years. But I could perfectly understand what he was telling me. 

Net result - once I can walk again 😳I’m sure I’ll be sub-18 by the end of the year! 😅 (but using the same old bats..)

9 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

TSi 2. It's a lovely bit of kit.

Cheers.

The TSi range in general gets a good write up, the 3 seems to be the best fit for me, but I can't afford to shell out for one at the moment.

Mainly because she is reading this over my shoulder.

Think I’ll try watch all this tonight. What a golf course it is, some of the views are amazing. Normally I prefer a difficult course but enjoying watching this
Tbh it's a bit of a farce for a competition labelled as a "Tournament of Champions" to be played on a course that is so easy.

Jones shot -23 over the weekend to finish 3rd, laughable really.

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Tbh it's a bit of a farce for a competition labelled as a "Tournament of Champions" to be played on a course that is so easy.

It's a tremendous "resort" style course but I played it a few years ago with a buggy and my legs were still burning after my round,the volcanic hills are a pure killer 

It's a tremendous "resort" style course but I played it a few years ago with a buggy and my legs were still burning after my round,the volcanic hills are a pure killer 
No argument that it looks spectacular and would be great to play, but I like to see the top players getting challenged a bit. I'm sure they said there were only 7 or 8 rounds that were level par or worse in the whole event.

Think what really sticks is that there are a lot of ranking points attached to it, Smith got 63 OWGR points for winning, Morikawa only got 48 for winning the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai.

16 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Cam Smith said he was disappointed he didn't make -35 as that was his target, which shows what the pros think of the difficulty.

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

No argument that it looks spectacular and would be great to play, but I like to see the top players getting challenged a bit. I'm sure they said there were only 7 or 8 rounds that were level par or worse in the whole event.

Think what really sticks is that there are a lot of ranking points attached to it, Smith got 63 OWGR points for winning, Morikawa only got 48 for winning the DP World Tour Championship in Dubai.

That ranking points status is a bit silly. Its always seemed to me to be viewed as a post Christmas loosener more than anything else. 

Sometimes the strength of the field doesn't equate with the magnitude of the event and this is one of them.