Golfers Thread

Gaz

New golfer here. How do you get over the fear of hitting in front of other people and also the anxiety of should I let them through, they’re letting me through etc?
As a relatively new golfer myself only joining a club in March 2021, I'd say to go with the mindset that nobody actually cares about your ability. I've chunked drives in front of groups and hooked tee shots that required very loud fore shouts, as I'm sure we all have. Maybe play a club you're confident with in front of a group and you'll look like a pro! After a while you won't care as much hitting in front of others.

In terms of letting people through etc, there's loads of different opinions about this that I'll let someone more experienced answer.

Happy golfing!

New golfer here. How do you get over the fear of hitting in front of other people and also the anxiety of should I let them through, they’re letting me through etc?

I'm still a bit nervous Infront of members especially in medals were there could be upto 40+ people watching and not one could give a s**t unless you hit a beauty and you hear the praise., that anxiety will ease as you get use to it, a we tip would to just go easy don't smash it just a nice slow swing to get you started and away from the tee.
If there is a group behind waiting at every shot it's nice to let them through same if your the one behind being held up, it's a bit of common sense to be honest and you'll start to pick these things up,
Go out with some members or seasoned golfers and ask questions only way to learn imo

12 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

@Kima Greggs I’ll give this a bash this year. 

Jon Rahm

Bryson Dechambeau (C) 

Kevin Na

Sungjae Im

Tommy Fleetwood

Bernd Wiesberger

Scottie Scheffler

Matthew Wolff

Daniel Berger

Garrick Higgo

Erik Van Rooyen

Adam Scott

Welcome aboard m8.

14 hours ago, GallowayBlue said:

Everyone was a beginner sometime, and we all remember how it feels, so don't worry about anyone "judging" you.

Re letting groups through, the old adage of "keep up with the game in front, not ahead of the game behind" is as good a golfing credo as there is (although I do think a lot of the "art" of playing through has been lost in that most people don't play up with the group they're letting through any more, which can causes things to stack up behind).

If you think you're beginning to  hold another a group up, have a quiet word with one of them to say "we're just learning, give us a shout when you're ready to play through" - you'll soon get a reputation as someone who knows their etiquette, which will hold you in good stead at your club.

Most importantly, welcome to the game. You'll love it!!! And hate it. And love it!!!

Took me years to get into the mindset of realising that especially on the first tee, everybody else is worrying too much about their own shot to give a shit about yours.

I always try and get there early enough now to hit some balls in the practice net, and the last few that I hit will be with the club that I plan on using off the first. It amazes me how many golfers with a half decent handicap roll up with hardly any time to spare, hit a few practice putts, then have a strop when they hit a duffer off the 1st tee.

On 01/01/2022 at 20:34, GallowayBlue said:

As others have said, try and forget about folk watching you, chances are they're complete pish at the game too. Nerves will go away as you play more. As for letting folk through, if the group behind are waiting about at any of their shots I'd let them through. If nerves are a problem for you then having guys play up your arse won't help, just let them through and there'll be no issues. 

@Kima Greggs

Collin Morikawa (C)

Tony Finau

Jason Kokrak

Sunjgae Im 

Tommy Fleetwood

Bernd Wiesberger

Will Zalatoris

Daniel Berger

Gary Woodland

Erik Van Rooyen 

Min Woo Lee

Christian Bezuidenhout

If we are allowed team names I want mine to be known as “THE WEAPONS OF GRASS DESTRUCTION”

Cheers for running this again. Makes the lower tournaments a bit more interesting if you’ve got a player on the field 

53 minutes ago, Kima Greggs said:

Also a reminder to get your Fantasy Golf teams in.

From last year..

@J_Stewart @alta-pete @Honest_Man#1 @Scampi on toast 

and anyone else who wishes to play.

Morikawa

Spieth

Na

Oosthuizen

MacIntyre

Garcia

Scheffler

Zalatoris

Homa

Hill

Higgo

Bland

Edited by Honest_Man#1

Interesting strategy with people listing their teams before the deadline. Can however confirm that I took no notice as I was hastily picking names of guys I’ve heard of and ignoring those I hadn’t. 

I think I’ve failed to pick a Captain though - @Honest_Man#1 seems to have conviction in his posts so on that basis alone I’ll also have Speith please.