Golfers Thread

Gaz

27 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Playing the Old Course on Saturday for the first time (success in the ballot)

Pretty excited about it and forecast looks ok - 11c with 13mph.

Appreciate that it is not the best course I will have played but really looking forward to the iconic holes and seeing if I can do a Tiger and stay out of all the bunkers (tough task and quite frankly with my record of sandy's oer the past few years maybe best going in them)

Our group play off 4, 8, 9 (me) and 14...what tees should we play off?  Want to enter this as a General Play so that it is my last counting round of the year.

How much is that costing you? If you don’t mind me asking 

**Fantasy Golf Week 41**
IMG_20211028_105032.thumb.jpg.77cc7cd4f5675a102a1144444760f8cd.jpg
the last Samurai 
A swashbuckling Sunday 65 helped hometown hero Hideki to his 2nd win of 2021. Slightly inappropriate cultural stereotypes aside, it's been quite the year for this rising son (stop it). 
Over in Mallorca, Jeff Winther showed ice cold nerves to take last week's European Tour event.
Overall Standings 
There's only 4 weeks left until the conclusion of the 2021 Fantasy Golf League and the winner of the Todger Strunk Trophy is revealed. [mention=7957]die hard doonhamer[/mention] effectively has a 2 shot lead with 4 to play, but there's 4 contenders looking to take advantage of any slip up.
2245 [mention=7957]die hard doonhamer[/mention]
1972 [mention=9044]lichtie23[/mention]
1966 [mention=24957]peasy23[/mention]
1954 [mention=65180]Tartan Dave[/mention]
1910 [mention=2437]Ro Sham Bo[/mention]
1747 [mention=65075]alta-pete[/mention]
1724 [mention=30544]J_Stewart[/mention]
1623 [mention=69974]Tommy Carcetti[/mention]
1599 [mention=26955]Honest_Man#1[/mention]
1543 [mention=80730]Mr Kane and the lemon cafe[/mention]
1428 [mention=5057]Distant Doonhamer[/mention]
bermuda2_i000049.jpg.57380fdd671da5ae9dc64e12974a082c.jpg
A foreboding and desolate area, where things are inexplicably lost, never to be seen again ? No, not the rough at your local council course, but the Bermuda Triangle. We're in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean this week, alongside a relatively modest field led by Matt Fitzpatrick and Pat Reed, on an island which is virtually one big golf course, for the Bermuda Championship on the Robert Trent Jones designed Port Royal. The former host of the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, it's considered one of the best public courses in the world, with some tidy looking holes, including the signature 235 yd par 3 16th played over the Atlantic.
listing-756-port-royal-golf-course-a9dd56a65056a34_a9dd5a6a-5056-a348-3a42e4c544f14199.thumb.jpg.3b86c3babcea44c410f63c390d2708b7.jpg

Read yesterday that they haven't managed to fill all the slots in the field, think it was 3 short. A lot of that is probably down to Bermuda's entry requirements with proof of Covid vaccination required or quarantine.

54 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
7 hours ago, Tommy Carcetti said:
**Fantasy Golf Week 41**
IMG_20211028_105032.thumb.jpg.77cc7cd4f5675a102a1144444760f8cd.jpg
the last Samurai 
A swashbuckling Sunday 65 helped hometown hero Hideki to his 2nd win of 2021. Slightly inappropriate cultural stereotypes aside, it's been quite the year for this rising son (stop it). 
Over in Mallorca, Jeff Winther showed ice cold nerves to take last week's European Tour event.
Overall Standings 
There's only 4 weeks left until the conclusion of the 2021 Fantasy Golf League and the winner of the Todger Strunk Trophy is revealed. [mention=7957]die hard doonhamer[/mention] effectively has a 2 shot lead with 4 to play, but there's 4 contenders looking to take advantage of any slip up.
2245 [mention=7957]die hard doonhamer[/mention]
1972 [mention=9044]lichtie23[/mention]
1966 [mention=24957]peasy23[/mention]
1954 [mention=65180]Tartan Dave[/mention]
1910 [mention=2437]Ro Sham Bo[/mention]
1747 [mention=65075]alta-pete[/mention]
1724 [mention=30544]J_Stewart[/mention]
1623 [mention=69974]Tommy Carcetti[/mention]
1599 [mention=26955]Honest_Man#1[/mention]
1543 [mention=80730]Mr Kane and the lemon cafe[/mention]
1428 [mention=5057]Distant Doonhamer[/mention]
bermuda2_i000049.jpg.57380fdd671da5ae9dc64e12974a082c.jpg
A foreboding and desolate area, where things are inexplicably lost, never to be seen again ? No, not the rough at your local council course, but the Bermuda Triangle. We're in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean this week, alongside a relatively modest field led by Matt Fitzpatrick and Pat Reed, on an island which is virtually one big golf course, for the Bermuda Championship on the Robert Trent Jones designed Port Royal. The former host of the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, it's considered one of the best public courses in the world, with some tidy looking holes, including the signature 235 yd par 3 16th played over the Atlantic.
listing-756-port-royal-golf-course-a9dd56a65056a34_a9dd5a6a-5056-a348-3a42e4c544f14199.thumb.jpg.3b86c3babcea44c410f63c390d2708b7.jpg

Read yesterday that they haven't managed to fill all the slots in the field, think it was 3 short. A lot of that is probably down to Bermuda's entry requirements with proof of Covid vaccination required or quarantine.

Aye, anyone not double jagged has to quarantine for two weeks after apparently.

16 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Appreciate that it is not the best course I will have played but really looking forward to the iconic holes and seeing if I can do a Tiger and stay out of all the bunkers (tough task and quite frankly with my record of sandy's oer the past few years maybe best going in them)

Our group play off 4, 8, 9 (me) and 14...what tees should we play off?  Want to enter this as a General Play so that it is my last counting round of the year.

St Andrews members consider the Old Course to be the most scoreable of the courses they play their medals on, so I can't imagine a fourball with those handicaps would find the medal tees too intimidating tbh.

Enjoy, and keep it left!!

Not that I was planning on playing today anyway, but the course is closed for a third straight day after another 22mm of rain since yesterday morning, taking the total for the last 3 days to 77mm.
They did finally get through course open this morning, but only 10 holes, 1-8 and 17 and 18. I was going to play Sunday morning but can't be arsed as the course will still be sodden and the early forecast is for more rain.

On 28/10/2021 at 21:29, Caledonian1 said:

£137...expensive but I see this as a must do at least once experience.  It is £98 from Monday onwards but that would be off matts

It was £195 in the summer so £137 is cracking if your still getting to play off the fairways etc. and get a nice day for it. I played it twice earlier this year, once in the calmest conditions you could ever hope for with a 7.10 tee time. Genuinely one of the highlights of my life playing it for that first time, loved every minute of it.

Played it a second time with our tee off being around midday, with a howling wind coming off the sea. I had about 120 yards into the first par 5 and decided to club up just to make sure I got in the vicinity of the green…I creamed a 6 iron that went 70 yards :lol: I did green the 9th hole that day with the wind helping, and left my eagle putt about 30 yards short. Absolutely raging with myself at the missed opportunity for birdie, I rattled my putt straight at the hole and sunk it. I would like that story read out at my funeral. 

Drove down to St Andrews yesterday morning through monsoon conditions and we werent sure it would still be open but it did improve just in time for our 12:52 tee off.

I was actually really nervous off the first tee but hit a beauty right down the middle, chippen and teo putted for a four......did the same at the 2nd but then hit a few bunkers over the next three holes - the bunkers were verging on unplayable  - the sand being so wet that it was like playing off clay.....then went on a run of 6 pars in a row and absolutely delighted to be only 4 over after 14 holes (I was playing off 11 - we went off black tees) Then utter disaster - great drive at 13 and well hit 8 iron didnt quite drift in with the wind as hoped and found myself a foot from front of a bunker that was at least 8' high.....hit the wall of the bunker and back into a muddy footprint....had another three goes before playing out backwards.....then incredibly chipped right into the same freshly raked bunker...played out backwards again , chip onto green , two putts for a terrible 11.  Then next two holes were a bit of a nightmare too before recovering for decent finish.

Really enjoyed it and quite amazed just how big the greens were and how steep many of the slopes were.....been watching golf and even marshalled at St Andrews in the past and not appreciated this.  Happy to not three putt all way round and holed all my putts under 10'

Ticked off a bucket list round of golf and would love to play it again some day - it's no Carnoustie but still a decent challenge and amazing to think of the history attached to the course and town - from 500 years ago through to the modern day greats winning Opens there.

i really thought I was on course to break 80 but allas the wet bunkers scuppered that....I am usually a very good bunker player but found these shots just impossible - perhaps I should have taken a drop?

On 30/10/2021 at 16:34, Honest_Man#1 said:

Supposed to be playing Elie tomorrow. Weather currently stating between 95-100% chance of heavy rain showers for the entire time we’ll be out. Brutal.

This was brutal, worst conditions I’ve ever played in. Really nice course, but I shot 98 and was actually happy with it considering the rain was actually painful on my face it was so severe.

22 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This was brutal, worst conditions I’ve ever played in. Really nice course, but I shot 98 and was actually happy with it considering the rain was actually painful on my face it was so severe.

f**k playing in the driving rain and winds. It takes any enjoyment out of the game 

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah if I hadn’t spent £50 on it I’d have walked off/wouldn’t have even started. Was hoping they would close the course before we went out tbh.

I can play in rain, that doesn’t really bother me. It’s when it’s accompanied by wind that I hate. Nothing worse than crushing a driver into the wind that go’s 159 yards. Or having to hit a full 7 iron when you are 100 yards from the pin. 

Edited by lichtie23

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I can play in rain, that doesn’t really bother me. It’s when it’s accompanied by wind that I hate. Nothing worse than crushing a driver into the wind that go’s 159 yards. Or having to hit a full 7 iron when you are 100 yards from the pin. 

Yeah on the 2nd hole it was straight into 40mph wind. Smashed a driver, and whilst admittedly I put it very high as I was nearly blown over mid swing and couldn’t see due to the rain, it honestly must’ve went about 70-80 yards.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah on the 2nd hole it was straight into 40mph wind. Smashed a driver, and whilst admittedly I put it very high as I was nearly blown over mid swing and couldn’t see due to the rain, it honestly must’ve went about 70-80 yards.

Iv got a high ball flight so any strong wind absolutely fucks me. 

I was somewhat coerced into a round yesterday as my mate wanted a last round in before the winter greens and mats take hold, and as I predicted didn't enjoy it one bit. Stopped counting by the 10th hole and could've walked off at that point, but my mate was having a good round and I felt bad. Got round the 18 in just over 3 hours, had the course to ourselves and went home with hypothermia. Magic. 

On the plus side, my dad was fitted for his new clubs last week then broke his hand at the weekend and won't be fit to play until they arrive, so I've now upgraded my clubs earlier than expected. The driving range is likely to take about half of my wages in the coming month. I'll be looking to get a handicap sorted early next year.

Iv missed out twice in the ballot might give it one last chance not wanting to play on mats tho