Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I played the Dukes in the summer without a buggy. Nice enough course but they could have tried harder to put the holes in the vicinity of each other. 

It's just a slog I think,,,,,hunners of better and more enjoyable courses in Scotland

3 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

It's just a slog I think,,,,,hunners of better and more enjoyable courses in Scotland

I played it as part of a Bunkered deal along side Kingsbarns, which more than made up for any disappointment at The Dukes. Kingsbarns is the best course I’ve played so far, loved every second of it and can’t wait to go back. 

Anytime I've played The Dukes, I've had issues with the set-up to the point that I'm not sure I'd ever play it again.

I once played it in a captains/secretaries invitation thing - they played it off the Black tees on a baking hot day with penal rough and the winning score was 24 stableford points 🤣 - just ludicrous.

20 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Never mind playing off mats and winter greens, one of the worst things about autumn golf has to be the fallen leaves. 3 times this morning I was looking for balls in the fairway hiding under the b*****ding things.

Parkland courses in autumn and winter are just absolute shite unfortunately. Losing balls under piles of leaves, or boggy ground with mats and winter greens. Shite.

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I played the Dukes in the summer without a buggy. Nice enough course but they could have tried harder to put the holes in the vicinity of each other. 

Played the Dukes 3 or 4 times. Folk kept telling me I'd grow to like it. Hated it every time. An absolute slog.

Wouldn't go back for a freebie.

Yeah, we are extremely blessed, but I've turned down a few games at Carnoustie over the years for reasons I wouldn't even think of doing now (including opting for a game at the Dukes instead, FFS... [emoji849])
I once rubbered Carnoustie to play at fucking Piper Dam [emoji23]. If someone starts a shit courses thread that experience will feature highly.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Never mind playing off mats and winter greens, one of the worst things about autumn golf has to be the fallen leaves. 3 times this morning I was looking for balls in the fairway hiding under the b*****ding things.

Our winter sweep at Tulliallan employs a Leaf Ball system - agree with your playing partners that the ball has been lost in the leaves and it's a free drop from the approx position. As long as you don't play with new balls (and why would you?) it's a reasonable fix and saves time looking for lost causes.

6 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Parkland courses in autumn and winter are just absolute shite unfortunately. Losing balls under piles of leaves, or boggy ground with mats and winter greens. Shite.

It was a few years ago now, but I played Gleddoch late in the year and just after the greenkeepers had cut the fairways. You were hitting driver down the middle and spending 10 minutes looking for your ball under the leaves and loose grass. 

7 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I know I shouldn't, but absolutely howling at this admission of temporary insanity by DotL.

In partial mitigation it was to play for my home club in an inter-club match. I hadn't of course realised just how shite Piper Dam was, and spent the first two hours of that nonsense absolutely seething. I believe it's been improved but it was an absolute mickey mouse layout in those days, especially the first 6 or 7 holes. 

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

It was a few years ago now, but I played Gleddoch late in the year and just after the greenkeepers had cut the fairways. You were hitting driver down the middle and spending 10 minutes looking for your ball under the leaves and loose grass. 

I think it was you who’d played Kingsbarns recently. What was the Scottish resident rate? Is it half the normal fee? Hard to get confirmation online anywhere. 

I've had a really positive competitive season but jeez I was awful today. 26 stableford points. Lost 4 balls and 4 putted the par 5 14th hole for a double bogey after hitting 3 excellent shots to find the green in regulation.

Last counting event of the season tomorrow. Will hopefully fare better than today.

15 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think it was you who’d played Kingsbarns recently. What was the Scottish resident rate? Is it half the normal fee? Hard to get confirmation online anywhere. 

I actually don’t know as we booked it through Bunkered mate. What I would say though, is if they try and charge you double I would still play it. 

**Fantasy Golf Week 41**

IMG_20211028_105032.thumb.jpg.77cc7cd4f5675a102a1144444760f8cd.jpg

the last Samurai 

A swashbuckling Sunday 65 helped hometown hero Hideki to his 2nd win of 2021. Slightly inappropriate cultural stereotypes aside, it's been quite the year for this rising son (stop it). 

Over in Mallorca, Jeff Winther showed ice cold nerves to take last week's European Tour event.

Overall Standings 

There's only 4 weeks left until the conclusion of the 2021 Fantasy Golf League and the winner of the Todger Strunk Trophy is revealed. @die hard doonhamer effectively has a 2 shot lead with 4 to play, but there's 4 contenders looking to take advantage of any slip up.

2245 @die hard doonhamer

1972 @lichtie23

1966 @peasy23

1954 @Tartan Dave

1910 @Ro Sham Bo

1747 @alta-pete

1724 @J_Stewart

1623 @Tommy Carcetti

1599 @Honest_Man#1

1543 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

1428 @Distant Doonhamer

bermuda2_i000049.jpg.57380fdd671da5ae9dc64e12974a082c.jpg

A foreboding and desolate area, where things are inexplicably lost, never to be seen again ? No, not the rough at your local council course, but the Bermuda Triangle. We're in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean this week, alongside a relatively modest field led by Matt Fitzpatrick and Pat Reed, on an island which is virtually one big golf course, for the Bermuda Championship on the Robert Trent Jones designed Port Royal. The former host of the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, it's considered one of the best public courses in the world, with some tidy looking holes, including the signature 235 yd par 3 16th played over the Atlantic.

listing-756-port-royal-golf-course-a9dd56a65056a34_a9dd5a6a-5056-a348-3a42e4c544f14199.thumb.jpg.3b86c3babcea44c410f63c390d2708b7.jpg

Playing the Old Course on Saturday for the first time (success in the ballot)

Pretty excited about it and forecast looks ok - 11c with 13mph.

Appreciate that it is not the best course I will have played but really looking forward to the iconic holes and seeing if I can do a Tiger and stay out of all the bunkers (tough task and quite frankly with my record of sandy's oer the past few years maybe best going in them)

Our group play off 4, 8, 9 (me) and 14...what tees should we play off?  Want to enter this as a General Play so that it is my last counting round of the year.