Golfers Thread

Gaz

17 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Thing is the club I'm a member of stewards a hole for all comps at St Andrews (12th) and I did That the last open there. So Ive already bought the tickets I applied for but if I get to steward again I'll be flogging them as stewarding is a good laugh 

Dibs. 

Was away to Spain over the October holidays and played at a club nearby that I've played quite a few times, La Estancia.  After 30+ years of golfing, I got my first ever eagle at the par 5 13th. Hit a decent 3 wood up the left hand side that was in the rough but sitting up nicely and caught another 3 wood perfectly that rolled up to 4 feet and knocked in the putt.  Was practically cartwheeling off the green.

Played Carnoustie Championship with wee brother, old boy and his mate today. So, so good. Course is absolutely immaculate , was sensational when we played it in July the week before the women’s open, but was in just as good condition today. Loved every second of it both times, helped that i played well both times too, 34 points last time, and 38 today. Put a general score in as well, so should see a wee handicap cut. Will need to save up the beer tokens and see if I can play it again next year

IMG_0160.thumb.jpg.6ac4f848a9f79d04af2ea79b51fd7274.jpg
IMG_0163.thumb.jpg.b04c3defc1f88d3cb759c1e4bb84698a.jpg
IMG_0169.jpg.2266999fece090a89beb34e47b2947a5.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg.caa134a9b5a5f66f4a4170b31de6bf01.jpg
IMG_0165.thumb.jpg.f0030b9f597f8dcc98db29588f9d08c0.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg.7ba025d085ae1684ed18bac74dcfdad5.jpg

**Fantasy Golf Week 40**

paulmcginley-847-rosskinnaird-sm-1.jpg.b6dfdf08e317084d1eedfa9f05f7fcad.jpg

Hear me Ror

Rory McIlroy bounced back from a poor Ryder Cup to win his 20th PGA tour event, putting him 39th in the all time list. Matt Fitzpatrick also finds winning European Tour events easier than Ryder Cup points, he now has 7 of the former and 0 of the later.

Overall Standings 

2213 @die hard doonhamer

1964 @lichtie23

1902 @Ro Sham Bo

1900 @peasy23

1836 @Tartan Dave

1711 @alta-pete

1612 @J_Stewart

1604 @Tommy Carcetti

1584 @Honest_Man#1

1517 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

1362 @Distant Doonhamer

a0002487_main.jpg.280207e977be5a3a266d59b9cd161ccd.jpg

After 2 weeks in Vegas, the PGA tour is off to the land of the rising sun and the Narashino Country Club. Morikawa, Schauffele and Niemann the bigger names making the journey. Like many Japanese courses, this one has 2 greens for every hole, try and hit the right one lads.

DoubleGreenTopper(13)-1694-CourtesyZOZO.thumb.jpg.5d7f13e37e94d8f839ea99a0b4544ce7.jpg

The European Tour is on Spanish soil for the third and final time this week. Gone are the refined settings of Valderrama and the mainland, the Fantasy Golf League is heading on a package holiday to Santa Ponsa, we'll be having a full English every morning, playing golf with a banging hangover and trying to avoid catching a STD after spending the night with Sandra from Essex.

315_509170787.jpg.57f4a218f608fb3e14a3bde6ec8fbad0.jpg

5 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Played Carnoustie Championship with wee brother, old boy and his mate today. So, so good. Course is absolutely immaculate , was sensational when we played it in July the week before the women’s open, but was in just as good condition today. Loved every second of it both times, helped that i played well both times too, 34 points last time, and 38 today. Put a general score in as well, so should see a wee handicap cut. Will need to save up the beer tokens and see if I can play it again next year

That looks magical. Nothing better than playing a course that is just so obviously well looked after. I played Kingsbarns in late summer this year and I was getting a hard on walking off the greens to the next tee box noticing how perfectly manicured every single part of the course was. Not played Carnoustie yet but it’s on the list. 

I bloody love Carnoustie, but I just don't play it as often as I should for some reason.

I reckon I had my best-ever ball-striking day on a golf course there a number of years back, but kept smoking my driver into wee pot bunkers that I wasn't even looking at. Felt like both a champ and a chump that day, shot mid-80's with about 10 or 12 fairway bunkers found; I was walking on air coming off the 18th.

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I bloody love Carnoustie, but I just don't play it as often as I should for some reason.

You make it sound like it’s your local council course. If you’ve played Carnoustie more than once you should be very thankful. Since taking golf a bit more seriously over the last couple of years and getting myself across Scotland to play some of the excellent courses we have in this country, one thing that always strikes me is how lucky we are to have them so close. You will have golfers from America, Asia, Australia etc. willing to spend crazy amounts of money to spend just a few days here, and we have them on our doorstep all year round. 

9 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Did you get a caddy? I hear there are some decent ones up there

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Did you get a caddy? I hear there are some decent ones up there

Sadly I believe the bold Pep was too busy with the real MVPs - your world class footballers, your hollywood movie stars, your political heavyweights - to carry a bag for the likes of me. One can but dream though.

On 07/10/2021 at 11:57, J_Stewart said:

I got mine last year and started at 15 after three rounds in Golspie, app was fucked until basically mid-August though due to joiningKemnay too but them not recognizing it (Scottish golf were not helpful), so couldn't really log any cards until then as Kemnay wouldn't take general ones and I never got to play medals as had other things on (playing football mainly) at the weekend and it was too early on the Tuesday night. Put four cards in when I was up the road in September though and got down to 10.8. One more in Kemnay last month brought me back up to 11.6 where I currently sit. Doubt I'll get many more scoring rounds this year between dark nights, weather and football, but not a bad starting place for next year where I'll hopefully get to play a bit more.

Target for next year is to try and get down to single figures at some point.

Pleased to say yesterday's foray round Carnoustie has now got me down to 9.3, so don't need to wait for next year at all. Imagine it'll be going swiftly back up to double figures soon, but nice to look at on the app for the time being 😂

On 07/10/2021 at 21:34, Caledonian1 said:

Not sure why you couldn't register General Play rounds at Kemnay......I have done several this year on top of lots of medals (I am on the committee there )  To be fair we only allowed General Play rounds off the whites from August.

Started the year at 9.3 and currently sit at 9.2 (went up to 12.5 quickly then down to 7.4 and hovered around 8 or 9 since)  Incidentally, I started last season at 10.5 and finished it at 10.5 - having played circa 60 counting rounds.

I really do think the World Handicap System has proved to be better than the old system....far more reflective of current form (especially if you play a lot of golf) and its quite exciting looking at your top eight scores change on a regular basis........a few weeks ago I was dreading losing a score differential of 4.2 (easily my best) and then unbelievably replaced it by scoring my best medal score at Kemnay (gross 76) for a 4.1. 

I have really enjoyed this season and quite sad that it is as good as over........we are extending medals until the end of October though so perhaps three more Sundays for me

Sorry man, must have missed this first time round. Wasn't anything to do with Kemnay directly, was my app (should have explained better). Essentially my Scottish Golf was set to Golspie (as it had been my home course the season before, and away one now) and Kemnay was on the howdidido, and for some reason they didn't speak to each other, so any time I tried to log a score on HDID, it didn't affect SG, and I didn't have the General Play option on SG. Not a big deal as was  only playing bounce games with my mates the majority of the year, and all fixed now anyway. Not had much of a chance to play the course the last few months (back to football sadly) but got a free week this weekend, so will get a swing round Sunday afternoon. Hopefully manage a game or two in the Sunday stableford over the winter.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Sadly I believe the bold Pep was too busy with the real MVPs - your world class footballers, your hollywood movie stars, your political heavyweights - to carry a bag for the likes of me. One can but dream though.

Pleased to say yesterday's foray round Carnoustie has now got me down to 9.3, so don't need to wait for next year at all. Imagine it'll be going swiftly back up to double figures soon, but nice to look at on the app for the time being 😂

Sorry man, must have missed this first time round. Wasn't anything to do with Kemnay directly, was my app (should have explained better). Essentially my Scottish Golf was set to Golspie (as it had been my home course the season before, and away one now) and Kemnay was on the howdidido, and for some reason they didn't speak to each other, so any time I tried to log a score on HDID, it didn't affect SG, and I didn't have the General Play option on SG. Not a big deal as was  only playing bounce games with my mates the majority of the year, and all fixed now anyway. Not had much of a chance to play the course the last few months (back to football sadly) but got a free week this weekend, so will get a swing round Sunday afternoon. Hopefully manage a game or two in the Sunday stableford over the winter.

I am on the Handicap Committee - so I can make this happen...........

Looking at your username it looks as if you are four groups ahead of me on Sunday......given how dark it is getting - dinna hud us up !!

It's the last medal of the year.  I started the year at 9.3 and last few rounds I have been aiming to ensure I finish the season lower than I started....on Sunday I lose a 8.5 score differential.  Had a good finish to my round last Sunday and now down to 8.7 so pretty happy with that. I probably wont be playing during the winter - often talk about it but never do it.

Incidentally, I live next to the 7th green.......

7 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I reckon I had my best-ever ball-striking day on a golf course there a number of years back, but kept smoking my driver into wee pot bunkers that I wasn't even looking at. Felt like both a champ and a chump that day, shot mid-80's with about 10 or 12 fairway bunkers found; I was walking on air coming off the 18th.

I feel the same about Carnoustie.  It's actually the course I have played the second most often in my life - I played in 20 Tassies in 21 years....so thats pretty much three rounds guaranteed every year.

About 12 years ago I got to my lowest ever handicap after a round off predominantly back tees.  (well lowest handicap under old system - went from 9.8 to 8.8 after shooting a gross 82 - the CSS that day was 77.  Incredibly I was two under after three holes and in dream land)

Whilst I have played it over 60 times I still have no idea how to play the 17th.  My favourite hole is probably a toss up between the par 3 13th and par 3 15th

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

You make it sound like it’s your local council course. If you’ve played Carnoustie more than once you should be very thankful. Since taking golf a bit more seriously over the last couple of years and getting myself across Scotland to play some of the excellent courses we have in this country, one thing that always strikes me is how lucky we are to have them so close. You will have golfers from America, Asia, Australia etc. willing to spend crazy amounts of money to spend just a few days here, and we have them on our doorstep all year round. 

Yeah, we are extremely blessed, but I've turned down a few games at Carnoustie over the years for reasons I wouldn't even think of doing now (including opting for a game at the Dukes instead, FFS... 🙄)

Edited by funky_nomad

37 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I am on the Handicap Committee - so I can make this happen...........

Looking at your username it looks as if you are four groups ahead of me on Sunday......given how dark it is getting - dinna hud us up !!

It's the last medal of the year.  I started the year at 9.3 and last few rounds I have been aiming to ensure I finish the season lower than I started....on Sunday I lose a 8.5 score differential.  Had a good finish to my round last Sunday and now down to 8.7 so pretty happy with that. I probably wont be playing during the winter - often talk about it but never do it.

Incidentally, I live next to the 7th green.......

😂 don't worry,  I'll be able to manage that comfortably on my own.

There's only two of us at the minute, so should be racing round hopefully, although that very much depends on how the driver is behaving. Really good yesterday, which greatly concerns me for Sunday.

33 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Yeah, we are extremely blessed, but I've turned down a few games at Carnoustie over the years for reasons I wouldn't even think of doing now (including opting for a game at the Dukes instead, FFS... 🙄)

I played the Dukes in the summer without a buggy. Nice enough course but they could have tried harder to put the holes in the vicinity of each other.