Golfers Thread

Gaz

**Fantasy Golf Week 39**

IMG_20211012_122527.jpg.a3db545150a644da9bd525e06fc0bca7.jpg

Jackpot

Super Sunjae's sensational Sunday 62 seals success in Sin City (haha yes). Meanwhile, as expected, a Spaniard won the Spanish Open, just not the one you expected. Rafa Cabrera Bello beat compatriot Adi Arnaus in a play off. Jon Rahm was a disappointing 17th.

Overall Standings

A great week for @alta-pete, who had the rather unlikely double of Cabrera Bello and Im, earning himself a bonus and a bump up the table, meanwhile @lichtie23 is slowly cutting the gap to longtime leader @die hard doonhamer

2144 @die hard doonhamer

1922 @lichtie23

1845 @Ro Sham Bo

1788 @Tartan Dave

1774 @peasy23

1693 @alta-pete

1606 @J_Stewart

1521 @Honest_Man#1

1517 @Namond Brice

1487 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

1281 @Distant Doonhamer

13464333_web1_copy_TheSummitClub_GolfCourse_PCTheHenebrys.thumb.jpg.f13f1d836a42b006eef303a4b45228e1.jpg

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas as the dancing girls and the blackjack tables wring another week out of the PGA tour. 16 of the 24 Ryder Cup stars tee it up at the Tom Fazio designed The Summit, less than 10 miles from The Strip for The CJ Cup, named after Pamela Anderson's character CJ Parker in hit TV series Baywatch (probably not tbh).

running-cj-parker.gif.6517b5ff2ca65ea78cecb4c5ef8b196a.gif

The European Tour remains in Spain as Jon Rahm gets a 2nd chance to win on home soil at the Andulucia Masters. The venue here is Real Valderrama, European golfing royalty. Designed by Robert Trent Jones it's a tremendously tough tree lined technical track (alliteration baby). Known as the 'Augusta of Europe', host of the 1997 Ryder Cup and synonymous with one of the true icons of the game.

Seve-Ballesteros-Jos--Mar-007-1.jpg.14020932fc873d660b3f0c04d1ff08ee.jpg

* With the HSBC WGC in China cancelled for the 2nd year running, we're a bonus point event short. Seeing as this week is a high class small field invitational on the PGA, and one of the flagship events on the Euro Tour, both events this week are a x1.5 bonus, with one remaining after this, the DP World Tour Final on the last week.

Edited by Namond Brice
bonus event update

I have a feeling I posted this last year but I had a look through my history and couldn’t see it anywhere. Does anyone use a putting matt in the house? Are any of them decent? I need to practice putting but can’t get to the course too often. Any advice appreciated. Seems to be very mixed reviews for almost all the matt’s on amazon

Edited by Tartan Dave

1 hour ago, Tartan Dave said:

I have a feeling I posted this last year but I had a look through my history and couldn’t see it anywhere. Does anyone use a putting matt in the house? Are any of them decent? I need to practice putting but can’t get to the course too often. Any advice appreciated. Seems to be very mixed reviews for almost all the matt’s on amazon

I have the Puttout one, it's decent, but there is a big right to left swing in my living room

15 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Sorry to hear of Renton Laidlaw's passing, he was the voice of the European Tour highlights pre Sky days when they would be on at stupid o'clock. .

As I said in the Deadpool thread, I always preferred him to that tedious c**t Alliss

21 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

As I said in the Deadpool thread, I always preferred him to that tedious c**t Alliss

I remember standing behind Renton Laidlaw on an escalator at Hamburg Airport (Torrance won the tournament) and he had the thickest passport I have ever seen...some amount of travelling commentating on golf.

Absolutely agree that he was much better to that old bore Alliss....I genuinely hated his commentaries.."I received a letter from Rht Hon Colonel Pumhrey-Smythe who is a member of Greater Tossington golf course in Surrey....."

Must be tough at Valderama today - Rham shot a 7 over 78.  A good few Scots in the field including Bob who is currently level but only after 3 holes

I remember standing behind Renton Laidlaw on an escalator at Hamburg Airport (Torrance won the tournament) and he had the thickest passport I have ever seen...some amount of travelling commentating on golf.
Absolutely agree that he was much better to that old bore Alliss....I genuinely hated his commentaries.."I received a letter from Rht Hon Colonel Pumhrey-Smythe who is a member of Greater Tossington golf course in Surrey....."
Must be tough at Valderama today - Rham shot a 7 over 78.  A good few Scots in the field including Bob who is currently level but only after 3 holes
As I posted last week, Rahm was looking a bit tired. Definitely tougher though as there are only 11 players currently under par, including Bob now at 1 under.

Loving the story about Renton Laidlaw being asked to phone up with a live report from the Italian Open. "Here I am reporting from Rimini..", while a voice in the background can be heard announcing that the train for Wemyss Bay will depart from platform 11. He was in a payphone in Glasgow Central.

Bob takes on the par 5 17th, 247 to the pin from the semi rough, over water with mud on the ball. Scrapes over on to the green but leaves himself about a 90ft eagle putt, which he left about 30ft short. Birdie attempt finished 10mm behind the hole.

Just now, peasy23 said:

Only 10 players under par at Valderramma and 7 of them are only on -1. If scoring is similar tomorrow the cut could be at +4 or +5.

I wonder when Rahm last hit a round without a birdie?

I don't know but I was expecting better from him with this being decreed a bonus week for the fantasy golf....

Cut stayed at +5, meaning Syme, Law and Ramsay all missed out by a shot.

Leaders are on -4.

Jamieson is on -2, hit the pin on his 17th hole leaving a tap in birdie, but dropped one on his last hole. Grant Forrest on +3 and MacIntyre and Drysdale on +5 the only Scots that made it in.

I've long held the opinion that golf is the most stupid and frustrating game ever conceived.

Today confirmed that when I hit my lowest score of the year, the week after we stopped playing competitions. 39 out, 43 back for an 82. Off the yellow tees admittedly but still well pleased with that.