Golfers Thread

Gaz

78 for me in the 18 Stableford comp giving me 37 points and a 3 point lead as it stands. Course was playing very heavy so no run on the fairways but makes it a bit easier to attack the flags. By my calculations I should have a 0.4 cut on my handicap taking me to 10.6. Driver is definitely the most reliable club in my bag just now which makes this game a lot easier 

19 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

78 for me in the 18 Stableford comp giving me 37 points and a 3 point lead as it stands. Course was playing very heavy so no run on the fairways but makes it a bit easier to attack the flags. By my calculations I should have a 0.4 cut on my handicap taking me to 10.6. Driver is definitely the most reliable club in my bag just now which makes this game a lot easier 

Won by 3 points in the end for my 2nd competition win of the season. 

Slow start from Grant Forrest today with a couple of early bogeys reaching the turn in 1 over, but he has come storming back, coming home in just 28 blows, with 8 threes including 5 birdies and an eagle. Clubhouse leader on -17, but Arnaus and Cabrera Bello are both under that score and battling it out for a home win.

Played the last Sunday medal of the season with a gross 87 to defend on the handicap index. Good front 9 of 42, but a fairly disastrous 49 back 9 including an 8 at the par 3 14th. Dumped my tee shot in the hazard, I should have just hit 3 off thd tee but went to the drop area which is a shitehole. Duffed another into the hazard, drop again and left it left of the green, took 3 more to get down.

At least that will get chopped on the adjusted gross meaning the 87 gets replaced with an 89, so I should go from 16.1 to either 16.3 or 16.4. I'd have bitten your hand off for that starting the season on 22.

3 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Bit late to the party here but started the season at 2.7 and finishing it at 3.2, mainly down to not practicing due to moving house and sorting a lot of that stuff out. 

Next seasons goal is scratch (and beyond!)

Good luck with that mate. Genuinely hope you get there 

Guy I played with yesterday was a former member of Bishopbriggs who is thinking of coming back again. As well as being a member of a club, he plays in 2 or 3 opens almost every week. He is retired, and travels all over Scotland and occasionally into the North of England to play. The way he looks at it, he gets to play on a lot of courses for less than he would pay as a visitor with the chance of getting some money back, and most clubs try and make sure the course is in top condition when they host an open.

12 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Guy I played with yesterday was a former member of Bishopbriggs who is thinking of coming back again. As well as being a member of a club, he plays in 2 or 3 opens almost every week. He is retired, and travels all over Scotland and occasionally into the North of England to play. The way he looks at it, he gets to play on a lot of courses for less than he would pay as a visitor with the chance of getting some money back, and most clubs try and make sure the course is in top condition when they host an open.

One of my mates does this. He's a member at Helensburgh, but pretty much only so he could maintain a handicap to play in Opens.

With the new SGU £6 a month membership, he's probably going to bin Helensburgh.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

One of my mates does this. He's a member at Helensburgh, but pretty much only so he could maintain a handicap to play in Opens.

With the new SGU £6 a month membership, he's probably going to bin Helensburgh.

He may still need to keep a club membership as I think a lot of clubs are against the idea of the SGU membership and are limiting Open entries to people who are members of clubs only

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

He may still need to keep a club membership as I think a lot of clubs are against the idea of the SGU membership and are limiting Open entries to people who are members of clubs only

Yep, I've heard of a fair few clubs considering this option.