Golfers Thread

Gaz

11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good stuff.

I managed another 0.3 off on Saturday. Down to 6.3 which is lowest I've been.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

0.7 cut for me after a good weekends golf. Down to 11 which is the lowest Iv ever been 

At least there are a couple of European golfers trending in the right direction...

Played the Royal Aberdeen open yesterday - course was as good as it could possibly be- immaculate condition.  Very windy all day and high scoring.  I had a 7 at the fist and 18th but otherwise delighted with the way I played - would have won had I even just bogeyed the first and last.

Think I had a career best birdie at the par 5 12th into the wind - driver into a bunker, sand wedge only option out, then hit a driver off the deck as it was sitting in a decent fluffy lie a foot off the fairway.  Kept the driver low and could not believe it that it made the green -  a beauty to 20' and holed the putt. 

My playing partner came second gross - he was off +2 - I had the honour 6 times which was amazing-  he was three under after 13 then "blew up" to finish two over.

Ok, rubbish first and last but it was a great feeling playing good golf on a great course in very windy conditions.  Small cut of 0.2 to 8.7

Played my home course in the afternoon and was terrbile........

Cheers to everyone who posted on this over the weekend. Definitely helped occupy the mind when suffering man flu. A really disappointing Ryder Cup but not at all surprising when you look at the US line-up. In the press conference afterwards you could tell they all got on really well.

As for us, we didn't cover ourselves in glory and although we had a few players in their 40s, there weren't many other likely candidates for captains picks apart from Rose (also in his 40s). 2 years is a long time in golf but I can definitely see Sergio back for another Ryder Cup. Poults, Westwood and Casey it's less likely but if they play well and are automatic picks then they need to do a lot better next time out. It's clear though that others need to step up to the plate. 2 years is a long time in golf. Spieth for example wouldn't have played if Ryder Cup was held last year as his form was horrific.

As for the others, what is going on with McIlroy? Hopefully he sorts out his game. It's definitely still there but he's extremely frustrating to watch. Too often in majors, he will start off poorly, do better on the Friday, backwards on the Saturday and shoot the best score of the day on the Sunday. He does have a new coach but do you think the change of caddie has anything to do with it? I'm sure his caddie was one of his childhood friends. Just strange when he had so much success with his previous caddie.

Credit to Sky Sports. I really enjoyed the coverage. Nick Dougherty is a great presenter, Harmon is a brilliant commentator and very neutral. McGinley is McGinley.

1 hour ago, dave_binos said:

Credit to Sky Sports. I really enjoyed the coverage. Nick Dougherty is a great presenter, Harmon is a brilliant commentator and very neutral. McGinley is McGinley.

I thought it was the weakest showing from Sky in a long time, perhaps ever. Not sure whether they had a lot less personnel on site due to Covid and had to rely more on the host broadcaster but the coverage was at times downright woeful. Appreciate pictures probably werent under their control but for long spells certain matches on all three days were ignored. They regularly gave duff or downright wrong info on graphics. Back 9 of Rory's singles yesterday for a minute or two they had him losing a hole he won. There was a point in the 4 balls when they screwed up 3 successive putts with a graphic saying it was to win the hole when none of them were.

Some of that may be out of their control and down to host info but it still reflects on their coverage.

Dougherty was fine albeit trying desperately build up their final day coverage into a major event whilst knowing in reality it was a blow out.

I love listening to Harman talk when its about the shot or the player but he does tend to offer a lot of inane platitudes too summed up as I've said already by his claim last night that if Europe want to be competitive they need to give the captain 6 picks like the US have without providing any joined up thinking to explain why given that in effect Stricker actually used one pick and we didnt have 3 of the top 20 in the world sitting at home unable to get a pick.

I like Coltart and Riley. McGinley's as much use as me at it. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

18 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They just showed a presentation of it to Sergo Garcia on Sky. Jacklin didn't present it, though he was on the committee awarding it.

They were disappointingly vague about the reasons for it. Just seemed to generally go on about his being a "good team-mate". Did he do anything particularly sporting?

There were a few decent gestures in the last few holes tonight albeit pretty much all once the Cup had been clinched.

This has been bugging me all day too (yeah I know, easily annoyed 🙄) so going to climb on my soapbox now.

I liked the premise of this new award they gave a lot of coverage to. Its named after one of the best sporting gestures in the history of the Cup and Nicklaus and Jacklin were both involved in it. The idea of recognising good sportsmanship publicly is great and is the sort on thing the late Payne Stewart would have hoovered up at Brookline for instance for his gesture to Monty. 

I was looking forward to seeing who would get it and what for. It wasnt a cup full of magnanimous gestures but there were a few such as Berger giving Fitzpatrick a knee trembler of a putt on 17 last night (doubt he does it if the Cup wasnt already won but never the less). It was a huge anti-climax for me that they effectively decided to give it to the most popular member of each team for 'being a great team-mate'. Meh. 😠

24 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

skys coverage of the actual golf was imo terrible...you hardly saw any european shots and 99% of the time any putts you saw were usually american winning putts.

They had to use the host broadcasters feed due to not being able to get there own people on site due to covid restrictions so tbf they had no say in what was shown.

Yank golf twitter was raging as most of them use a stream of sky's coverage for there week in week out coverage so we basically got what they experience every week on NBC peacock 

19 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

They had to use the host broadcasters feed due to not being able to get there own people on site due to covid restrictions so tbf they had no say in what was shown.

Yank golf twitter was raging as most of them use a stream of sky's coverage for there week in week out coverage so we basically got what they experience every week on NBC peacock 

yeah i know that...it was terrible even the build up to it was american tv.

Yet when Bryson hammered his 417 yard drive on the 5th the other day it wasn't shown until much later in the US, yet we saw it live.

Saw a tweet along the lines that the US coverage was 30 minutes of adverts at a time interrupted by some golf coverage.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I thought it was the weakest showing from Sky in a long time, perhaps ever. Not sure whether they had a lot less personnel on site due to Covid and had to rely more on the host broadcaster but the coverage was at times downright woeful. Appreciate pictures probably werent under their control but for long spells certain matches on all three days were ignored. They regularly gave duff or downright wrong info on graphics. Back 9 of Rory's singles yesterday for a minute or two they had him losing a hole he won. There was a point in the 4 balls when they screwed up 3 successive putts with a graphic saying it was to win the hole when none of them were.

Some of that may be out of their control and down to host info but it still reflects on their coverage.

Dougherty was fine albeit trying desperately build up their final day coverage into a major event whilst knowing in reality it was a blow out.

I love listening to Harman talk when its about the shot or the player but he does tend to offer a lot of inane platitudes too summed up as I've said already by his claim last night that if Europe want to be competitive they need to give the captain 6 picks like the US have without providing any joined up thinking to explain why given that in effect Stricker actually used one pick and we didnt have 3 of the top 20 in the world sitting at home unable to get a pick.

I like Coltart and Riley. McGinley's as much use as me at it. 

I enjoyed it personally. Could have been more focus on certain groups admittedly but I guess it's maybe because I've watched a lot of coverage in America and used to regular commercials.

Dougherty had every right to build it up. That is his job but they all knew it was very unrealistic.

Coltart and Riley are very decent.

One longer term fear I've had from the European perspective is that we're now at the stage where the European Tour is a feeder for the PGA tour - it wasn't that long ago Casey didn't get on the team because he didn't play enough golf in Europe.  As such the more young golfers go over they end up playing American target golf courses rather than playing the European tour which would negate any home advantage. The genie is well and truly out of the bottle on that one.
When you add in that the US gets to play the Presidents cup in the off years and has done for 20 years it's a surprise Europe ever wins tbh.
Next few captains I guess will be Westwood, Poulter,  Rose and Garcia in some order. Maybe McDowell for 2027 since it's in Ireland... or maybe Rory will be reduced to non-playing status by that point [emoji52]

I thought he was . . .

6 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Have to say other than McGinley I like pretty much all of the Sky golf pundits. Dougherty and Coltart have really grown into the role with some great technical insights plus a bit of humour too. Rich Beem and Radar excellent value too and I’ve always enjoyed Harmon’s style.

McGinley and Henni Koyack can be launched into the sea

Edited by lichtie23

9 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Yet when Bryson hammered his 417 yard drive on the 5th the other day it wasn't shown until much later in the US, yet we saw it live.

Saw a tweet along the lines that the US coverage was 30 minutes of adverts at a time interrupted by some golf coverage.

Sky don't have to go to so many adverts and can keep going with the feed is the only reason we got it live in much the same way if you have ever watched Indy car from the states were Tom Gaynor takes over commentary duties from a studio in london every time they have an advert which is a lot 

On 26/09/2021 at 23:50, peasy23 said:

Worst shot of the week?

Casey hit another off the tee which was honestly dreadful, probably the two worst shots of the week from him. I couldn't believe he fired him out on Friday afternoon after stinking out the morning session. 

On 27/09/2021 at 08:52, cas79 said:

The us team have some emerging talent to, they also have a huge advantage as youth players and further up to NCAA, the European countries are all different in there approach to yougesters development some better than others,
Is the Ryder cup on next year too

Do a lot of the best European youngsters not go to school in the USA now? 

16 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This has been bugging me all day too (yeah I know, easily annoyed 🙄) so going to climb on my soapbox now.

I liked the premise of this new award they gave a lot of coverage to. Its named after one of the best sporting gestures in the history of the Cup and Nicklaus and Jacklin were both involved in it. The idea of recognising good sportsmanship publicly is great and is the sort on thing the late Payne Stewart would have hoovered up at Brookline for instance for his gesture to Monty. 

I was looking forward to seeing who would get it and what for. It wasnt a cup full of magnanimous gestures but there were a few such as Berger giving Fitzpatrick a knee trembler of a putt on 17 last night (doubt he does it if the Cup wasnt already won but never the less). It was a huge anti-climax for me that they effectively decided to give it to the most popular member of each team for 'being a great team-mate'. Meh. 😠

I like the idea of the award but it seems mental to make it compulsory to give it, you end up with instances like this where they just need to choose someone sound because nobody really did anything that sporting. As an analogy, the UFC don't hand out a mandatory performance bonus every time they hold a fight card, they give it to people when the performance merits it. I feel this award should be similar. 

14 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I watched most of this on the Golf Channel USA and I thought the coverage was excellent tbh. They cut to ad breaks but kept the golf on a split screen. Obviously need to deal with some more brain dead American commentary but on the whole it was fine.