Golfers Thread

Gaz

13 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

i know they did..yet the yanks had 6 captains picks...that was painful to watch...pick 6 from the european tour automatically then have 6 free picks from boys in form...this could be a bleak 20 years for european golf.

Ok then, under your system, who would have been the 6 qualifiers and the 6 picks? And what difference do you honestly think it would have made against that American side in that form?

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Ok then, under your system, who would have been the 6 qualifiers and the 6 picks? And what difference do you honestly think it would have made against that American side in that form?

obviously the top 6 in europe gets a call....as for the picks for 1 i'd have had rose in for a start..then get boys like macintyre in..let it sink in america had 6 rookies in and fucking destroyed the "best" europe had too offer....the problem with our system is boys like macintyre/perez etc can have a great season this year yet there is no points available for ryder cup qualification...we keep picking boys in their 40s it aint gonna end well.

Edited by Meeniedee

2 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

the problem with our system is boys like macintyre/perez etc can have a great season this year yet there is no points available for ryder cup qualification...we keep picking boys in their 40s it aint gonna end well.

I'm sorry what ?

I remember once Westwood talking about the numerous times he would drop away from being in contention in majors he said he wasn't that bothered and didn't really care,

Well little wonder he won f**k all majors with that loser attitude, 

I'm sure we can look forward to that serial bottler being captain  next time , 

Along with Poulter, and Garcia getting thier turn Europe  needs to address this severe arse booting

obviously the top 6 in europe gets a call....as for the picks for 1 i'd have had rose in for a start..then get boys like macintyre in..let it sink in america had 6 rookies in and fucking destroyed the "best" europe had too offer....the problem with our system is boys like macintyre/perez etc can have a great season this year yet there is no points available for ryder cup qualification...we keep picking boys in their 40s it aint gonna end well.
MacIntyre has played shite for most of this year apart from a couple of big results, he accumulated more Road to Dubai points in his rookie season than he did in the last two combined. The reason these guys aren't on the team was because they didn't play well enough, they had ample opportunity to qualify or force themselves into the wildcard conversation. There was still points to be won up until the PGA at Wentworth a few weeks ago, Wiesberger qualified right at the death there.

It's also worth remembering that of the 6 American rookies, at the time of selection 3 of them were ranked in the Top 5 in the world, and the worst ranking of the 6 (also the worst ranking in their team) was 21st. Only 4 Europeans had  higher ranking than that, and they were all in the team as automatic qualifiers. 

pretty sure that points won in a non ryder cup year..count for f**k all when it comes to being picked.
It's a two year qualification period (which was rejigged to cater for the 3 year gap between Ryder cups), which is partly what contributed to Europe's troubles, it meant guys like Westwood and Fitzpatrick were shoe ins despite being poor all this year.

I remember once Westwood talking about the numerous times he would drop away from being in contention in majors he said he wasn't that bothered and didn't really care,
Well little wonder he won f**k all majors with that loser attitude, 
I'm sure we can look forward to that serial bottler being captain  next time , 
Along with Poulter, and Garcia getting thier turn Europe  needs to address this severe arse booting

I don’t remember Westwood ever saying that. He’s had an excellent career over a prolonged period. I’ve no doubt no Majors will be a regret but he’s got plenty to be happy about. 40 plus career wins for a guy with a loser attitude is a pretty good return.

Just now, Meeniedee said:

pretty sure that points won in a non ryder cup year..count for f**k all when it comes to being picked.

That's not what you said.

27 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

the problem with our system is boys like macintyre/perez etc can have a great season this year yet there is no points available for ryder cup qualification

MacIntyre and Perez didn't have great seasons, there were points available, and neither earned enough qualification points this year.

I don’t remember Westwood ever saying that. He’s had an excellent career over a prolonged period. I’ve no doubt no Majors will be a regret but he’s got plenty to be happy about. 40 plus career wins for a guy with a loser attitude is a pretty good return.
Similar to Henman who regularly gets abuse as a "serial bottler" in the tennis thread, I think he made the most of his abilities. He was always good tee to green but his putting could be ropey. Plenty of players would kill to have a resume like his.