Golfers Thread

Gaz

I know there is still plenty of points to play for so it sounds daft but it's just that looking at this team, I don't see any scope for turning it around. Is Poulter, or someone else,  going to grab it by the scruff of the neck like he did then? To me only a handful of the European players look at the required standard. 
Is Harrington going to provide some inspirational words like Olazabal, who drew heavily on the Seve thing, did? I can't see it at all. 
There seems to be fight missing in the team. Poulter was very subdued yesterday.

23 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Monthly medal today. Hopefully will play like Rahm……will probably play like Rory 

All the best. Has your course started working on the greens yet? My home course is not far off unplayable due to the scarifying of the greens, I struggle to enjoy a round when it’s like that. I went and paid £125 to play Western Gailes during the week and the greens had been cored and scarified as well, courses shouldn’t be charging that kind of money when the course isn’t in prime condition. 

Another baffling bunch of selections from Harrington. Absolutely reeks of him thinking he's way smarter than he actually is. He's made a bigger c**t of it than Faldo, and that's saying something.

It'll be a shock if we're within 6 points going into the singles, and I'm not convinced we'll make it to double figures by the end of this.

Controversial, but I'd have probably played Rory again. Take away Rahm, an off form Rory is better than an off form anyone else in that team. He also has a higher ceiling if he actually plays well.

Not getting the criticism of the Lowry pick either. He's a major winner, a WGC winner, has a top 10 in a major this year (on a course similar to this by the same architect) and only narrowly missed out on an automatic place.

25 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Tbf  to paddy Rose has been honking the last year 

He's not had a great year by any means but he's had top 10 finishes in two majors this year and top 10 finishes in his last two tournaments before the picks were announced. I would have picked him before Poulter and even Lowry. 

Although there are so many shortcomings in this team that swapping out one player for Rose wouldn't have made much difference overall. 

I can’t help but get annoyed about commentators suggesting Bryson is ‘re-writing the game of golf’. 
The only thing he is re-writing is what all golfers have ever known; try to absolutely melt it and more often than not, it won’t go where you are aiming.

McIllroy is a clown as well that should be nowhere near this team. The singles score could make this embarrassing.

On Radio 5 live this morning,editor of golf monthly asked about Rory getting dropped commented that no surprise:
“Rory has been sleepwalking through the best playing years of his life and is a pale shadow of the swashbuckling golfer who used imagination and skill to win”!
Spot on imho.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

On Radio 5 live this morning,editor of golf monthly asked about Rory getting dropped commented that no surprise:
“Rory has been sleepwalking through the best playing years of his life and is a pale shadow of the swashbuckling golfer who used imagination and skill to win”!
Spot on imho.

Can't argue with that. He should have been pushing toward double figures in major wins by now and confirmed as the greatest British golfer ever. 

1 minute ago, Biscuits said:

I know most of the European team have been poor but I think, reluctantly, credit has to be given to the Americans. They have been absolutely brilliant and their pairings have been spot on.

This. You can judge pairings and captaincy all you like, but it just comes down to who scored better across three days.

It’s easy to forget that Olly, who was regarded by the players as a brilliant captain, was pretty much 2 or 3 putts away from disaster, while Davis Love looked a genius on Saturday night only for the players to make a c**t of it on Sunday.

One of the reasons the Ryder Cup is so enthralling is because a guy could shoot  66  in 5 consecutive rounds and come away with f**k all because his opponents all shot 65 once each. Equally, you could sneak a point playing fairly average if your opponent has a shocker.

We were shite yesterday, but in some of the games a couple of holed putts would have made a huge difference. Those drop today, and it could easily be down to 9-7. The caveat obviously being that Westwood might actually have to hole something of note…

This. You can judge pairings and captaincy all you like, but it just comes down to who scored better across three days.
It’s easy to forget that Olly, who was regarded by the players as a brilliant captain, was pretty much 2 or 3 putts away from disaster, while Davis Love looked a genius on Saturday night only for the players to make a c**t of it on Sunday.
One of the reasons the Ryder Cup is so enthralling is because a guy could shoot  66  in 5 consecutive rounds and come away with f**k all because his opponents all shot 65 once each. Equally, you could sneak a point playing fairly average if your opponent has a shocker.
We were shite yesterday, but in some of the games a couple of holed putts would have made a huge difference. Those drop today, and it could easily be down to 9-7. The caveat obviously being that Westwood might actually have to hole something of note…
It's always the case that the team that holes the most putts wins (hi Captain obvious), Europe had numerous chances yesterday in a few of the games to win holes but didn't take them. Biggest example was Fleetwood missing back to back chances last night just after the turn that might have halted the comeback from the Yanks in that one.

The big disparity in the average OWGR rankings between the sides has been starkly exposed this time. The Americans always have an advantage on that ranking, but the European teams have nullified it in the past by turning up and playing their very best stuff. Half the team are out of form which isn't going to get you anywhere. It's going to take something miraculous to prevent the US winning by 6 points or more, Europe won by 7 points in Paris, can see that being beaten here.

3 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Monthly medal today. Hopefully will play like Rahm……will probably play like Rory 

Well lads……..I shot my best score ever! 76 for 8+ gross, 4- Nett and I’m currently 3 shots clear at top of the leaderboard. Made a good few 6-8 foot putts for par which I’m delighted about. Give me a phone Padraig!!!!