Golfers Thread

Gaz

Friday fourballs
Broidson/Scheffler / Rahm / Hatton -7  (18)
Finau / English -6 (15)
DJ / Schauffele -6 (17)

Thomas / Cantlay / Fleetwood/ Hovland -4 (18)
Casey / Wiesberger -4 (17)
McIlroy / Lowry -1 (15)

-1 through 15 holes in a four ball format is piss poor from McIlroy and Lowry. Dreadful stuff.

31 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

-1 through 15 holes in a four ball format is piss poor from McIlroy and Lowry. Dreadful stuff.

Yeah my basic takeaway is that in the foursomes USA played well and Europe played below average and in fourball USA played above average and Europe played poorly. 

Inward 9 seems to have been stronger for the Americans as well, most of the games not featuring Rory have been close around the turn and the USA have pulled away or fought back. 

Hovland Wiesberger is a brave pairing, especially against Thomas and Speith. 

Hatton gives off wee guy energy and the pairing of Westwood/Fitzpatrick doesn’t inspire confidence. Can see it being another 3-1 session with Rahm and Garcia picking up the European point. 

Went to bed at 05:15 couldn't take anymore, we were 5-1 down at that time.

Some terrible golf played by the Europeans, some bizarre pairings & as for Rory wow, not seen him play so bad, and still gets picked in the afternoon.

Looking forward, those paring for the Foursomes give me the fear.  This could be all but done before the singles.

BTW, watched this on Ssports South African channel, very good with big Tam Bjorn and a few others which were all very knowledgeable, Thomas was not holding back with some of the plays he was watching from the European team.  Big bonus, there was hardly any commercials.

and 417 yard drive, the games fucked.    

6 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

It was 5-3 after day one at Medinah. It’s a stretch to say winning from this position would be bigger than winning from 10-6 down with only 12 singles matches to play at Medinah.

I know there is still plenty of points to play for so it sounds daft but it's just that looking at this team, I don't see any scope for turning it around. Is Poulter, or someone else,  going to grab it by the scruff of the neck like he did then? To me only a handful of the European players look at the required standard. 

Is Harrington going to provide some inspirational words like Olazabal, who drew heavily on the Seve thing, did? I can't see it at all. 

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Hovland Wiesberger is a brave pairing, especially against Thomas and Speith. 

Hatton gives off wee guy energy and the pairing of Westwood/Fitzpatrick doesn’t inspire confidence. Can see it being another 3-1 session with Rahm and Garcia picking up the European point. 

Looking at the pairings that's my initial reaction as well.  If any of the European pairings other than the Spanish one win it will be a shock. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

I don't really blame Harrington. He's been hugely let down by the players who almost all utterly wilted here. He was always hamstrung by some of the absolute dross that automatically qualified. Casey is well past his best, Hatton's head will go regularly and so on. Picking Lowry was pretty woeful though. 
Lowry and Poulter were appalling picks. Leaving out Rose was criminal.

He wasn't helped by a curtailed qualifying that meant Westwood scraped in - a full qualification would have meant some of the dross and those past it wouldn't be in that team.

Everything you see here is man made. There's been some amount of earth moved here to make it look like an Irish links course, but it doesn't really play that way. It's a pretty soft, target golf course.
I have to agree - it's a course that plays to the US strengths of drive long then pitch and putt.

Definitely one of the worst open champions of the century, had an excellent 2019 but has stank the place out on many occasions since then and before then IMO. Very fortunate to be near the team and I dare say were he not Irish he wouldn’t be.

2 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Definitely one of the worst open champions of the century, had an excellent 2019 but has stank the place out on many occasions since then and before then IMO. Very fortunate to be near the team and I dare say were he not Irish he wouldn’t be.

I have to say I wasn't too bothered about him being picked but I don't doubt for a second that if he wasn't Harrington's pal/countryman he wouldn't have been chosen. 

Easy to say in hindsight but the way he wilted in the final round at Wentworth when the pressure was on should've set off the alarm bells.