Golfers Thread

Gaz

Also, do the Sky Sports commentators get paid a bonus when they say the phrase ‘there’s no future’ when pre empting a shot. They say it numerous times a round, even during your run of the mill PGA events, but it only started about 12 months ago. Ewen Murray is especially bad for it, but I’ve even heard Coltart say it and it’s infected Butch Harmons vocabulary now. Once you are aware of it you become heightened to how many times it’s said. 

‘Theres no future left of this green’, ‘you can’t miss this fairway left, there’s no future over there’. To anyone who hadn’t noticed it, I apologise. 

20 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

He’s the messiah of golf commentary compared to Paul McGinley. I’ve never heard a commentator, in any sport, that is able to get as many things wrong as McGinley does.

McGinley:- ‘Rahm is going to need to fly this to the hole and let it come back down off the ridge behind the pin here, it’s the only play’. 

*Rahm plays a low stinging draw that runs up the fairway on to the green* 

‘Theres two ways to play this flag today’. 

How McGinley is a Ryder Cup winning captain I will never know. He has a lot to thank Tom Watson for. 

Murray is just such a p***k though. Mcginley is just a bit stupid, give me the latter all day

1 minute ago, Namond Brice said:

Get Ian Crocker and Andy Walker to do the commentary tomorrow. 

Too far. Though I'm on board with Derek Rae and Ally McCoist.

Crocker would be all "WELL WE KNOW HOW SCO EH I MEAN EUROPE LOVE TO MISS 4 FOOT PUTTS DON'T WE" and Walker would somehow being going on about the match officials even though they have f**k all to do in golf 99% of the time.

Edited by Fuctifano

24 minutes ago, Namond Brice said:

The US were a shambles that year, but I'm going to grudgingly give credit to McGinley. 

I listened to an interview of his with the No Laying Up podcast and it's clear he was a pretty good man manager who had a clear plan that week.

To be fair I was probably slightly harsh, he does deserve some credit for the 2014 win and especially for the performance on the Sunday. I was actually in attendance at Gleneagles on the Sunday but I can’t recall what the score was before the singles, but I do know they went out and done a job on the Americans.

I don’t think he’s a bad guy tbh, and I would be acting out of turn as an 18 handicapper if I tried to lecture him about golf, but he’s just not the sharpest spoon in the drawer. He constantly tries to call the shot before it happens so he can look like he knows what he’s talking about, and 90% of the time he calls it wrong. He reminds me of Wayne Mardle at the darts, who will shout ‘treble 17’ just before a player takes aim as if he knows what he’s talking about, only for the player to go for treble 19 and leave himself looking silly. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

6 minutes ago, Namond Brice said:

Get Ian Crocker and Andy Walker to do the commentary tomorrow. 

Possibly a step too far. Ian Crocker would still manage to find a way to mention the atmosphere at an Old Firm game though. 

Is Wayne Riley part of the Sky team this week? Usually enjoy his interjections around the course, and he normally does a few pre recorded bits showing the runs on the greens etc. 

7 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Final foursome scores (allowing for a couple of concessions) 

Cantlay / Schauffele - 5 (15)

DJ /Morikawa - 5 (16)

Garcia / Rahm - 5 (17) 

Thomas /Spieth - 3 (17)

Koepka / Berger - 2 (17)

Hovland /Casey - 2 (16)

Westwood / Fitzpatrick E (17)

Mcilroy / Poulter E (15)

Friday fourballs

Broidson/Scheffler / Rahm / Hatton -7  (18)
Finau / English -6 (15)
DJ / Schauffele -6 (17)

Thomas / Cantlay / Fleetwood/ Hovland -4 (18)
Casey / Wiesberger -4 (17)
McIlroy / Lowry -1 (15)