Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Something in what you say though Fleetwood hasn’t been great this season. For me the trouble is we have too many players struggling for form which includes one (Rory) who seems undroppable. Whoever Harrington picked there were always going to be out of form players. I suspect if he had extra picks Harrington might have picked Rose ahead of say Westwood. That said I suspect Westwood won’t be our lowest points scorer.

The problem with McIroy is he's such an inconsitent bugger that he'll shoot 76 one day and follow it up with a 64.  Leaving him out's going to be a big call because going on todays performance the majority of the European team are out of form.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

Qualification period is too long imo, too many players in the team who racked up points early then managed to hang on despite playing shite fir most of the year.

I was about to post the same thing. It should be cut to 6 months, or at least heavily weighted to favour events in that period. 

The problem with McIroy is he's such an inconsitent bugger that he'll shoot 76 one day and follow it up with a 64.  Leaving him out's going to be a big call because going on todays performance the majority of the European team are out of form.

Yes that’s a very fair point. IMHO leaving him out this afternoon would have made it more likely he would shoot 64 tomorrow. We’ll never know of course but I can’t remember the last time I saw a top player with such an awful wedge game. It’s absolutely bizarre.

3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Something in what you say though Fleetwood hasn’t been great this season. For me the trouble is we have too many players struggling for form which includes one (Rory) who seems undroppable. Whoever Harrington picked there were always going to be out of form players. I suspect if he had extra picks Harrington might have picked Rose ahead of say Westwood. That said I suspect Westwood won’t be our lowest points scorer.

It's the qualification process and number of wildcards for me. Compare it with the Americans. 6 wildcards is probably too many, but it's given them their strongest side and a lot of flexibility.

Ours by contrast is a mess, 2 separate lists, points carried over from before covid meaning guys like Hatton and Westwood had practically qualified in January and barely done anything since, the PGA 2 weeks before the cup starts given too much weight, only 3 wildcards.

Yes that’s a very fair point. IMHO leaving him out this afternoon would have made it more likely he would shoot 64 tomorrow. We’ll never know of course but I can’t remember the last time I saw a top player with such an awful wedge game. It’s absolutely bizarre.
Contrast him with someone like DJ who usually knocks it stiff from anything less than 140 yards.

8 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

How McGinley is a Ryder Cup winning captain I will never know. He has a lot to thank Tom Watson for. 

The US were a shambles that year, but I'm going to grudgingly give credit to McGinley. 

I listened to an interview of his with the No Laying Up podcast and it's clear he was a pretty good man manager who had a clear plan that week.