Golfers Thread

Gaz

23 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Jesus, this is a total and utter shambles from Europe. Some of the mistakes here are absolutely bonkers. 

ETA: This might be more humiliating than Faldo's disaster.

This is done and dusted after day 1, wil struggle to even make it look respectable on Sunday. Harrington always struck me as a guy who strutted about the course, all about him, looking clueless here.

Edited by milhouse

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

If Europe can somehow get 1 1/2 points out of these 2 matches the score won’t be looking too bad considering what a shiter of a day it has been.

Would take that but just can't see it all the momentum is with the US team and they're just playing better golf.

Edited by Angus_Don

You can hide 1 or 2 guys in bad form in a Ryder Cup, absolutely no chance you can hide half a team. The decision to bench Fleetwood this morning and Garcia this afternoon is mind boggling. All for the sake of sticking to a pre arranged plan to give everyone a game on the first day.

This is an unmitigated disaster and could quite possibly be a record defeat.

The qualification process and number of wildcards needs looked at. We've absolutely hamstrung ourselves there.

^^^

Absolutely fucking seething.

2 minutes ago, milhouse said:

This is done and dusted after day 1, wil struggle to even make it look respectable on Sunday. Harrington always struck me as a guy who strutted about the course, all about him, looking clueless here.

I don't really blame Harrington. He's been hugely let down by the players who almost all utterly wilted here. He was always hamstrung by some of the absolute dross that automatically qualified. Casey is well past his best, Hatton's head will go regularly and so on. Picking Lowry was pretty woeful though. 

Just now, alta-pete said:

At The Open (I think) there’s always a contingent of Americans that complain about/can’t play links golf. Yet here, this is the most links style course I’ve seen in the US. And we’re getting pumped.  Oh the irony! 

Everything you see here is man made. There's been some amount of earth moved here to make it look like an Irish links course, but it doesn't really play that way. It's a pretty soft, target golf course.

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

I don't really blame Harrington. He's been hugely let down by the players who almost all utterly wilted here. He was always hamstrung by some of the absolute dross that automatically qualified. Casey is well past his best, Hatton's head will go regularly and so on. Picking Lowry was pretty woeful though. 

He has made some pretty poor choices in his pairings to be fair.

3 minutes ago, Namond Brice said:

Everything you see here is man made. There's been some amount of earth moved here to make it look like an Irish links course, but it doesn't really play that way. It's a pretty soft, target golf course.

yeah, this, there's about 1000 bunkers on it but only about 30 in play

also the balls spinning back about 50 feet on the short par 3 (12th /13th) is a bit of a clue

Edited by Fuctifano

You can hide 1 or 2 guys in bad form in a Ryder Cup, absolutely no chance you can hide half a team. The decision to bench Fleetwood this morning and Garcia this afternoon is mind boggling. All for the sake of sticking to a pre arranged plan to give everyone a game on the first day.
The qualification process and number of wildcards needs looked at. We've absolutely hamstrung ourselves there.
^^^

Something in what you say though Fleetwood hasn’t been great this season. For me the trouble is we have too many players struggling for form which includes one (Rory) who seems undroppable. Whoever Harrington picked there were always going to be out of form players. I suspect if he had extra picks Harrington might have picked Rose ahead of say Westwood. That said I suspect Westwood won’t be our lowest points scorer.

^^^

I was just having a look at the European Tour rankings. Just to pick out a few...

Westwood has played 12 tourneys this year. 0 top 10s.

Fitzpatrick has 1 top 10 from 12 tourneys.

Wiesberger had a 1st, a 2nd and a top 10 yet still needed another top 10 in the last tourney to clinch his place.

Qualification period is too long imo, too many players in the team who racked up points early then managed to hang on despite playing shite fir most of the year.

BTW following the shot tracker is great if you're of a certain 8-bit age like me "addressing ball.... hit ball....fairway/rough/green/native area", like a very early version of CM but for golf.

"Fleetwood, 4ft 11 putt.... green"... every time

Edited by Fuctifano

45 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

I rant about this every time but ewan murray is fucking god awful

He’s the messiah of golf commentary compared to Paul McGinley. I’ve never heard a commentator, in any sport, that is able to get as many things wrong as McGinley does.

McGinley:- ‘Rahm is going to need to fly this to the hole and let it come back down off the ridge behind the pin here, it’s the only play’. 

*Rahm plays a low stinging draw that runs up the fairway on to the green* 

‘Theres two ways to play this flag today’. 

How McGinley is a Ryder Cup winning captain I will never know. He has a lot to thank Tom Watson for.