Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

Doesn't look like Harrington's giving much away with the practice rounds. Here's what I'd do for the opening session anyway. 

1. Rahm/Lowry
  2. McIlroy/Poulter
  3. Garcia/Fleetwood
  4. Casey/Hovland

Similar but swap out Fleetwood for Westwood for me 

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

Doesn't look like Harrington's giving much away with the practice rounds. Here's what I'd do for the opening session anyway. 

1. Rahm/Lowry
  2. McIlroy/Poulter
  3. Garcia/Fleetwood
  4. Casey/Hovland

I'm struggling to come up with 4 good pairings. Rahm & Lowry and McIlroy & Hovland could be good and Casey and Garcia could each be paired with A.N other I guess. 

Poulter's fourball/foursomes record isn't actually that good I don't think. He gets put on a bit of a pedestal in this format because of his heroics at Medinah

We want our form players out on Friday and for all 4 pairs sessions, we just can't afford any passengers this week, although I'm a believer in giving everyone at least 1 round before the Sunday singles.

It's looking like Rahm/Lowry and Rory/Hovland as our 2 mainstays. You could potentially swap Lowry in with Rory and give someone else a run with Rahm.

It gets slightly trickier after that. I want Wiesberger out both sessions on Friday, unless he has a disaster in the morning. Out of the 24 players this week, he's 5th in strokes gained tee to green in the last 8 weeks. He's playing well and Casey is an ideal partner for him.

Further down, I think Garcia and Westwood will get at least one match together, more if they don't get beat. 

I have concerns about how much the rest of the side (apart from Fleetwood) will be able to contribute points wise.

4 minutes ago, Namond Brice said:

We want our form players out on Friday and for all 4 pairs sessions, we just can't afford any passengers this week, although I'm a believer in giving everyone at least 1 round before the Sunday singles.

It's looking like Rahm/Lowry and Rory/Hovland as our 2 mainstays. You could potentially swap Lowry in with Rory and give someone else a run with Rahm.

It gets slightly trickier after that. I want Wiesberger out both sessions on Friday, unless he has a disaster in the morning. Out of the 24 players this week, he's 5th in strokes gained tee to green in the last 8 weeks. He's playing well and Casey is an ideal partner for him.

Further down, I think Garcia and Westwood will get at least one match together, more if they don't get beat. 

I have concerns about how much the rest of the side (apart from Fleetwood) will be able to contribute points wise.

Can't argue with any of that really. 

17 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Can't argue with any of that really. 

Ironically, despite us having players with more experience than the whole US team has and them with their 6 rookies, their pairs seem easier to pick.

Speith/Thomas will play 3 or 4. DJ wil play 3 or 4 with Morikawa and Berger. Schauffele and Cantlay are pals off the course. Koepka will probably only play in the fourballs, probably with Finau. Scheffler and English don't seem to mind Bryson.

I'm swinging wildly between 'we've got a wee chance here', to 'we're going to get pumped 18-10"

On 21/09/2021 at 17:38, doulikefish said:

I prefer leven to lundin to be honest 

I don't mind Leven as it happens (I play there fairly regularly in Handicap League matches), but the course condition (other than the greens) is pretty patchy - you can be in the middle of the fairway in a bare lie with the ball jammed up against a really lush patch. It used to be in far better nick, tbh. Lundy is generally in tip-top condition.

10 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm struggling to come up with 4 good pairings. Rahm & Lowry and McIlroy & Hovland could be good and Casey and Garcia could each be paired with A.N other I guess. 

Poulter's fourball/foursomes record isn't actually that good I don't think. He gets put on a bit of a pedestal in this format because of his heroics at Medinah

Poulter's overall record is 14 wins and 6 defeats with 2 halves. This is obviously skewed by 5 wins and a half in singles. 9 wins and a half against 6 losses in foursomes/fourballs is a decent enough record though

19 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Poulter's overall record is 14 wins and 6 defeats with 2 halves. This is obviously skewed by 5 wins and a half in singles. 9 wins and a half against 6 losses in foursomes/fourballs is a decent enough record though

Yeah I should've said since 2012. He was a bit up and down in 2014 and 2018 and didn't make the team in 2016.

IMG_20210922_150824.thumb.jpg.12de84cfe2770035d4fa26e67c6d904a.jpg

Christy O'Connor Jnr hit one of the greatest golf shots in the the history of the game during the his singles match at The Belfry during the 1989 Ryder Cup. His 2 iron to 3 foot on the 18th hole was pivotal in his defeat of Fred Couples and ensured Europe retained the trophy with a 14-14 tie.

Final practice pairings. Like both top pairings and McIlroy/Lowry. It's going to need the likes of Hatton, Fitzpatrick and Westwood to play out of their skins. FB_IMG_1632411449083.thumb.jpg.b20efcd7445cc597ba04c32ed4fababe.jpg

I have a nagging doubt that Rahm might struggle under the weight of being world number one and Europe’s big name. He runs hot at the best of times and I can see the crowd getting under his skin early on. Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong though.

Ironically, despite us having players with more experience than the whole US team has and them with their 6 rookies, their pairs seem easier to pick.
Speith/Thomas will play 3 or 4. DJ wil play 3 or 4 with Morikawa and Berger. Schauffele and Cantlay are pals off the course. Koepka will probably only play in the fourballs, probably with Finau. Scheffler and English don't seem to mind Bryson.
I'm swinging wildly between 'we've got a wee chance here', to 'we're going to get pumped 18-10"

Not as wide as 18-10 but don’t have a great gut-feeling going in to this. Hope I’m miles off but the US to win by a three point margin (15.5 to 12.5). We’ve plenty of seasoned performers but perhaps without the form to carry into 3 intense days of such competitive team golf. Can’t wait for the start though.