Golfers Thread

Gaz

Found this guy on YouTube a few weeks ago and now his videos get recommended to me. ‘The Average Golfer’ he’s called, an English guy who seems to adore Scottish golf courses. His videos aren’t your usual golf blogger type though, he always tries to explain the history of the course, and speaks to the members or captains to try and find some lesser known facts. His video on Prestwick is extremely interesting and I learnt a lot of stuff around the early days of the Open championship, Old Tom Morris etc. that I didn’t know. 

He’s also went and documented a few inner city courses, like Haggs Castle and Pollok, that are about a 10 minute drive from me, but ones that I had no idea were as good as they look on his videos. He’s not a bad golfer either, he’s doing himself a disservice calling himself average. 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Found this guy on YouTube a few weeks ago and now his videos get recommended to me. ‘The Average Golfer’ he’s called, an English guy who seems to adore Scottish golf courses. His videos aren’t your usual golf blogger type though, he always tries to explain the history of the course, and speaks to the members or captains to try and find some lesser known facts. His video on Prestwick is extremely interesting and I learnt a lot of stuff around the early days of the Open championship, Old Tom Morris etc. that I didn’t know. 

He’s also went and documented a few inner city courses, like Haggs Castle and Pollok, that are about a 10 minute drive from me, but ones that I had no idea were as good as they look on his videos. He’s not a bad golfer either, he’s doing himself a disservice calling himself average. 

Brilliant, cheers for that. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 

David Drysdale had another half decent finish which lifts him to a projected 121st on the road to Dubai, and a wee bit of daylight between himself and the magic number of 126th.

Francesco Molinari was taking on the world 3 years ago. Today he dropped below the line for keeping his card automatically, although I'm sure he has an ongoing exemption from his 2018 PGA and Open Championship wins which will save him.

Anyone played/a member of Pitlochry? Potentially have an opportunity to play it this weekend if I can wrangle the spare time but the £50 price tag is putting me off a bit. 

Played it a few years back, nice enough course but 50 quid sounds a bit steep. Don’t remember it being particularly long and the greens were reasonable.
Dunkeld & Birnam GC back down the A9 is just as picturesque and the visitor green fees are much more sensible I recall.

Interesting piece on the mystery that is Anthony Kim in today's Grauniad :-
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/20/golf-anthony-kim-ryder-cup-usa
It's certainly one of the stranger disappearances of a golfer from the tour, after what seemed to be a fairly routine injury. The insurance policy payout rumour has been doing the rounds for quite a while, but it really is the only thing that makes his decision to stop playing make any sense.

How much insurance money do you reckon he'd have got?

If Kim sees golf as a job rather than his passion or his love then throwing away the clubs when you've got all the money you could want makes sense. Sad for fans to lose a good player but as long as Kim is happy then we should make peace with it. 

How much insurance money do you reckon he'd have got?
If Kim sees golf as a job rather than his passion or his love then throwing away the clubs when you've got all the money you could want makes sense. Sad for fans to lose a good player but as long as Kim is happy then we should make peace with it. 
The first figure I ever saw mentioned was $10 million.

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

@The Moonster did you end up playing Pitlochry?

Noticed it was £30 on Golf Now yesterday rather than the £50 you were quoted

Decided against it as I'd pushed my hillwalking a bit too hard the previous day and my legs were fucked. Did walk through the course though and it looked nice enough. 

**Fantasy Golf Week 37**

IMG_20210920_113223.thumb.jpg.e39c769200e84de2f7dd30d2dabea9e7.jpg

Homa is where the heart is

Max Homa won in his home state of California for the 2nd time this year as he became the PGA Tour's first winner of Season 21/22. Despite having a name that sounds suspiciously like an anti gay slur and an horrendously bad bit of facial hair, Max is a pretty popular guy. Wasn't popular enough to be in the Fantasy League this year though. Maybe next year pal.

Kristoffer Broberg managed to avoid the siren call of the red light district to win the KLM Dutch Open. He is also not in the Fantasy League this year. Mainly because he's World no. 772 and has suffered serious injury issues.  He was rather emotional about it. Bro(berg)s before Hoes x

Overall Standings 

Biggest winner this week was my good self. Not in terms of points, I just don't have to write out that bloody Race to Whistling Straits table any more and I get a week off too.

There's very little change.

2114 @die hard doonhamer

1842 @lichtie23

1841 @Ro Sham Bo

1788 @Tartan Dave

1774 @peasy23

1598 @J_Stewart

1539 @alta-pete

1517 @Namond Brice

1517 @Honest_Man#1

1487 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

1247 @Distant Doonhamer

51499.thumb.jpg.0dad36e833b3164c4041fa2ea3a3eef1.jpg

When we return, we're heading to the home of golf for The Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, played of course at 3 different venues, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns and the Old Course (Hi Peppino)

2-St-Andrews-Old-_246637502_400683701-630x473.jpg.446ee2bea562e8e3e9a380faa1725da1.jpg

The Sanderson Farms Championship is next on the PGA Tour at The Country Club Of Jackson (not to be confused with Jackson Country Club, I'm serious), which is a pretty unremarkable course tbh. Sergio Garcia won here last year, but he's unlikely to return after the Ryder Cup. Who will lay claim to the *checks notes* Giant Chicken trophy ??

1278490101.jpg.955dfc267b31984ff3059ad7344335aa.jpg

See you in 2 weeks. 📢 THIS IS NOW A RYDER CUP HYPE ACCOUNT. 📢

IMG_20210920_131017.jpg.80743a61d2528dcf459347cbbe4b21f2.jpg

Edited by Namond Brice

28 minutes ago, Namond Brice said:

Seve-Ballesteros-Jos--Mar-007-1.jpg.14020932fc873d660b3f0c04d1ff08ee.jpg

The greatest partnership of all time (11-2-2) at the the 1991 Ryder Cup at Kiawah Island. They ended up on the losing side despite teaming up for 3.5 points in the foursomes and fourballs that year.

That’s my earliest memory of the Ryder Cup. Langer missing a short putt on 18 to tie it, the nonsense about Steve Pate not being able to play the singles and Seve pissing off Azinger 

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

That’s my earliest memory of the Ryder Cup. Langer missing a short putt on 18 to tie it, the nonsense about Steve Pate not being able to play the singles and Seve pissing off Azinger 

Even now, when I see Langer playing on the seniors tour, that putt is about the first thing I associate with him...