Golfers Thread

Gaz

Overall I worry that Hatton, Westwood and Fitzpatrick could be total liabilities. 
If we win with this squad it will be up there with the best victories we've had. 
Hatton's very dodgy temperament combined with an extremely partisan crowd is a huge cause for concern.

Hatton's very dodgy temperament combined with an extremely partisan crowd is a huge cause for concern.

I agree. If he’s playing well he’ll most likely love it but it’s very easy to see him absolutely combusting if he starts to struggle. Be important who Harrington partners him with I think.

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:
14 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
Ooft, Stricker didn't even give Horschel the courtesy of a phone call...

How far down the list is normal for the captain to call though? Reed, Simpson, Kokrak & Burns were all closer to making it than Horschel.

It's a fair point, and Horschel did accept he's not been in great form recently, but I expect someone who had won the WGC Matchplay 6 months ago might have still thought he was in the reckoning enough that a phone call was required.

Kokrak and Burns might have been closer in terms of ranking points but I think more people would have raised eyebrows if they'd been picked than if Horschel had. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I find Hatton deeply unlikeable. Hoping he can change my mind through the tournament but I'll find it difficult to cheer him on. I don't fancy our chances much this time round, we just need to hope that the Americans don't get on with each other and play some shit golf. 

I can never really get excited about the Ryder cup and will probably find myself wanting Hatton to lose as I also find him unlikeable.

I love my golf but for some reason a Europe v USA contest just doesnt do it for me.  I probably will watch some of it on the Friday night as a few of us in Dundee (Monifieth) for a golf weekend but can't see myself watching any on the Saturday or Sunday (unless really close....where any sport can be exciting) I didnt watch a single ball being hit during the 2014 event but that was more to do with being overseas on an unsuccessful Ironman attempt.....

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

I can never really get excited about the Ryder cup and will probably find myself wanting Hatton to lose as I also find him unlikeable.

I love my golf but for some reason a Europe v USA contest just doesnt do it for me.  I probably will watch some of it on the Friday night as a few of us in Dundee (Monifieth) for a golf weekend but can't see myself watching any on the Saturday or Sunday (unless really close....where any sport can be exciting) I didnt watch a single ball being hit during the 2014 event but that was more to do with being overseas on an unsuccessful Ironman attempt.....

I've loved the Ryder Cup since I was wee so I always get a wee buzz around this time. American golf fans are as bad as English football fans for me, so any chance to get it round them should be taken IMO. Hope you enjoy your golfing weekend though, sounds like it should be rare!

We'll never find out, but if Harrington was just told to pick 12 players for the team I wonder how close it would be to the line up we have?

Considering he seems terrified of picking rookies (unless they are Irish major winners), probably not much different from what we are lumbered with. Rose for Weisberger probably and that's it.

Just reading a few tweets there that in some parts of Australia golf is still banned due to Covid restrictions. New South Wales has classified golf as exercise and has allowed two ball play all the way through, and back to four balls next week if all players are double vaxxed. Victoria on the other hand has lumped golf in with organised sport and courses remain closed.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

Just reading a few tweets there that in some parts of Australia golf is still banned due to Covid restrictions. New South Wales has classified golf as exercise and has allowed two ball play all the at through, and back to four balls next week if all players are double vaxxed. Victoria on the other hand has lumped golf in with organised sport and courses remain closed.

Absolute madness. Victoria seems to be run in a manner that would make the North Koreans blush.

Think Europe's best hope is for some wind and rain coming in from the coast, Whistling Straights being a huge course if it stays dry and little wind it will be perfect conditions for the big hitters in the USA side such as Johnson, Finau  and De Chambeu.

As previously alluded this might be a Ryder Cup too far for Poulter, who isn't the longest off the tee and Westwood, whilst the form of a couple others is a concern. 

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Just reading a few tweets there that in some parts of Australia golf is still banned due to Covid restrictions. New South Wales has classified golf as exercise and has allowed two ball play all the way through, and back to four balls next week if all players are double vaxxed. Victoria on the other hand has lumped golf in with organised sport and courses remain closed.

Try getting a tee time in Sydney though. Most slots being put up at midnight 14 days ahead of time and full by 12.02

Koepka doesn't like the Ryder Cup because the meetings and photo ops get in the way of his naps. I particularly like his "I done my job, what more do you want from me" line, what a spoiled wee c**t. It really is no wonder the USA struggle so much with a team event when they've got such self centred wee c***s that fill their team (and Tony Finau). 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/58562548

Koepka doesn't like the Ryder Cup because the meetings and photo ops get in the way of his naps. I particularly like his "I done my job, what more do you want from me" line, what a spoiled wee c**t. It really is no wonder the USA struggle so much with a team event when they've got such self centred wee c***s that fill their team (and Tony Finau). 

At least he is being honest, he won't be the only one that struggles to switch from playing as an individual to being part of a team. Only thing is though, just because he has qualified he doesn't have to play. If he dislikes it so much he could give up his spot.

42 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

At least he is being honest, he won't be the only one that struggles to switch from playing as an individual to being part of a team. Only thing is though, just because he has qualified he doesn't have to play. If he dislikes it so much he could give up his spot.

I guess his wrist is ok then 

[emoji23]