Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Looking forward to a round at Elgin Golf Club in a couple of weeks, any forward tips from P&B’ers who’ve enjoyed a knock up there?

Played a few rounds there a few years back. Nice course and clubhouse.

2 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Looking forward to a round at Elgin Golf Club in a couple of weeks, any forward tips from P&B’ers who’ve enjoyed a knock up there?

Played Elgin 3 years ago on a very windy day. Course was in very good condition. Staff in clubhouse and pro shop were excellent. From memory a good number of the par 4s are longish (more than 400 yards). Really enjoyed our day there.

Really frustrating round today. Wednesday sweep and finished with 36 points which is generally entirely satisfactory. That said I had 32 points after 14 holes so feels like a real chance missed. A bogey for one point on par 3 15th. Tricky hole so happy enough.
Double bogey 7 on par 5 16th. Brilliant drive, followed by a great 2nd with hybrid which looked bound for the green. Took a horror bounce and ended up the face of a bunker 20 yards short of the green. Two shots to get out. Decent chip to 5 feet, missed the putt so another single pointer. Reasonable drive on 17 followed by my best shot of the night with a 6 iron to about 4 feet. Birdie putt lipped out. Two points for par. Great drive on 18. Pulled 2nd to a horrible lie just off the green and took 4 more to get down. No points. Hugely frustrating. Hit the ball as well as I have for ages so some consolation and also had a two so some cash for that.

This round will become one of my best 8 and I expect handicap index to go from 7.6 to 7.3. Pleased about that but still pissed off I missed a great chance for a much bigger cut.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

18 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Played a few rounds there a few years back. Nice course and clubhouse.

18 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Played Elgin 3 years ago on a very windy day. Course was in very good condition. Staff in clubhouse and pro shop were excellent. From memory a good number of the par 4s are longish (more than 400 yards). Really enjoyed our day there.

Thanks Gents. 

Everything finally clicked last night in the Midweek Medal, ended up with a nett 69 to win the Division, and the cash register will be topped up by a tap-in Magic 2.

Only hit 1 really poor iron shot the entire round - pulled a 6-iron off the tee at the par 3 8th, hit a tree 15 yards off-line resulting in a mysterious lost ball (might still be up the tree...) and my only double bogey of the round. Only other really frustrating shot was around the green at the par 5 13th - having got to within 30 yards of the green in 2, played a poor chip and 3-putted for a bogey when I was eyeing up birdie. This was forgotten when I birdied the tough last hole to come home in 36 (+1) for my lowest round of the year.

Was hitting my (still fairly) new woods beautifully, irons were solid and the putter was very reliable other than one silly 3-stab. These days don't come around very often so I'm going to bask in this until Saturday, when no doubt normal, inconsistent service will be resumed...

And the handicap is now back down to 6.2 having started the season at 6.0 - onwards and downwards!!

19 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

The new Titleist irons look rather nice.FB_IMG_1627568179138.jpg

You would think it wouldn't be too much to ask for them to make a set of irons where each club head has the same design.....

They do look good, sadly I think I'll stick with my trusty old X18s until I actually start playing more than a few rounds of golf a year.

After a chat with my playing partners yesterday re the impact and pros and cons of the WHS several months into the new system, I decided that I needed some extra data to further my case that the exercise was pretty pointless for club golfers who regularly play medal/competition golf.

I have now played 30 singles "medal" rounds this year over 2 different courses, which seems like a reasonable sample size - probably slightly above the average number for a whole season for regular club golfers who pay on in the Saturday comps and maybe a few midweek medals when the nights are longer. 

My Handicap Index started at 6.0, went up to 7.8 at one stage, and is currently 6.2. During that time, I've had Course Handicaps listed between 6 and 9. This supports the view that WHS offers a fair handicap that reflects recent scoring (if not ability...). 

I have "mapped" my medal scores in date order using the old system, starting from a base of 6.0. I haven't made any adjustments for occasions where the Competition Standard Scratch may have differed from the SSS (although the CSS was regularly higher than the SSS, particularly off the Championship Tees).

From a starting spot of 6.0, after 7 games (mid-May) I moved up to a 7 handicap, having missed buffer 5 times (early season conditions and all that... 🙄). Since then, I missed buffer 13 times, made 6 buffer zones and had 4 downward adjustments, the latest of which would have brought me down to 6.4. A whole 0.2 of difference over the piece from my current HI of 6.2.

So, what did I learn from this futile exercise??

1 - As someone who plays most of my golf at the clubs I'm a member of (value for money and all that), and maybe plays 10 or 15 games a year at other courses, it's hard to see any meaningful difference between WHS and the old system;

2 - Due to the amount of medal golf I play, my handicap was always pretty honest. It remains so, but under a different set of algorithms;

3 - I'm still coming to terms with the speed of fluctuation in handicap that WHS allows - hence me doing this;

4 - I'm even more inconsistent than I thought I was - some of those Missed Buffer scores were horrendous for someone purporting to be playing off 6 or 7... 🤣  But then, would I have tried harder on "free hit" days when I might have needed level par over the last 4 or 5 holes to make buffer and/or hope for the CSS to go up?

5 - I've no way of proving this, but my gut feeling is that people playing regular medal golf aren't entering Casual Scores. I mean, why would they? I'd love to see some data from Scottish Golf re the comparative amount of Casual Scores being entered vs scores entered in competitions, however I suspect we'll only be told of this if it suits SGs agenda...

(As a side-bar, I play for a Handicap Team in a league of 6 with home and away matches, and we've now completed about 75% of the matches. Despite WHS supposedly making it fairer handicap-wise in terms of the differentiation between degrees of difficulty of courses, thee have been 10 home wins, 2 draws and 2 away wins in the matches played. Away wins were much more frequent in previous years).

You would think it wouldn't be too much to ask for them to make a set of irons where each club head has the same design.....
They do look good, sadly I think I'll stick with my trusty old X18s until I actually start playing more than a few rounds of golf a year.

That's 4 different models in the picture.

T100 at the bottom, T100S next up, T200 then the T300 at the top. All aimed at different standards of golfer.

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

That's 4 different models in the picture.

T100 at the bottom, T100S next up, T200 then the T300 at the top. All aimed at different standards of golfer.

Sorry, I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Never comes across well online :oops

Second round of the Olympic golf was cut short by the weather with Schauffele in the lead by one. His only swing coach has been his German born dad, who was a highly rated prospect for the decathlon in his youth and dreamed of going to an Olympics. His dream was cut short though after he was in a car crash aged 20, and a piece of glass lodged in his eye causing him to lose the sight of that eye. He's finally got there as part of Shuffles coaching bubble.

10 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Played at Lundin Links today. Another enjoyable day. Played well and round in 3 over par. Birdies on 9th and 10th. 5 bogeys and the rest all pars. Scarcely a breath of wind most of the way round so very benign conditions. 

A course I've a lot of time for. That par 5 along the top beside the road (13th??) is a lovely hole.

2 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

A course I've a lot of time for. That par 5 along the top beside the road (13th??) is a lovely hole.

Fucking clown course. If you put the ball in the right places and putt well, you get a good score. Absolute joke.