Golfers Thread

Gaz

Horrendous deal for GCC, though I'm sure nobody is surprised. On the plus side, they won't be fucking up running the place any more.
£200k with a probable clause to keep it as a golf facility I assume. Tbh they can do it up as much as they want. The fuckwits in Ruchazie will still rip through it on motorbikes.

I took my six year old son to Wellsgreen Golf Centre, near Leven, at the weekend. It has a driving range and a 'Wee Course'. The wee course is basically a 6 hole par 3 course which was ideal for my son. He fair enjoyed it, but was a bit of a trek to get to there.

Does anyone know of anything similar in the Edinburgh - Glasgow commuter belt area? (we're in Falkirk)

6 hours ago, Steven W said:

I took my six year old son to Wellsgreen Golf Centre, near Leven, at the weekend. It has a driving range and a 'Wee Course'. The wee course is basically a 6 hole par 3 course which was ideal for my son. He fair enjoyed it, but was a bit of a trek to get to there.

Does anyone know of anything similar in the Edinburgh - Glasgow commuter belt area? (we're in Falkirk)

Whitecraigs has a "Wee Course", 9 hole par 3 course.

6 hours ago, Steven W said:

Swanston Golf Club in Edinburgh has very good facilities, driving range and a 9-hole par 3 short course (apparently it also has the largest junior section of any club in the UK). Situated right next to city bypass. If you decide to call them, ask for Mike Robson, club manager and really good guy.

https://www.swanstongolf.co.uk/administration/edinburgh-golf-group/golf-facilities/

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

Played lethamhill and was in the best shape IV played it, rough was all cut down and nice looked like a great course then the greens which were terrible add the lack of rain most of them are dead, still went round in +2 net, it's going to be missed

Alright lads, I'm looking to upgrade my irons and seriously thinking of going 2nd hand - anyone done that previously.

I'm a very occasional golfer at the moment, handicap would be in the 20s. 

However, I'm looking to join somewhere shortly over the autumn and then keep it going into the next summer season. 

I have Wilson D100 irons at the moment and really want to upgrade but just can't pay top dollar. 

Anyone any thoughts/advice ? 

Alright lads, I'm looking to upgrade my irons and seriously thinking of going 2nd hand - anyone done that previously.
However, I'm looking to join somewhere shortly over the autumn and then keep it going into the next summer season. 
I have Wilson D100 irons at the moment and really want to upgrade but just can't pay top dollar. 
Affordable Golf have a decent second hand section, but sometimes not all that cheap.

27 minutes ago, Silvio said:

I got my clubs from American Golf and paid it up over 6 months. 

8 hours ago, Steven W said:

At that age, the free pitch and putt at Bruntsfield Links across from the Meadows might be worth a shout - when I lived in Brunstfield, I spent many a happy summers evening playing there and shouting "fore" at unsuspecting tourists who had no idea why there were so many holes in the ground in a park. Not sure if the flags are out at the moment, though...

Alternatively, there's the Wee Braids 9-holer up past the Hermitage  (I think it's 6 par 3s and 3 par 4s, maybe 1,800 yards in total).

48 minutes ago, Silvio said:

I know you aren't a member anywhere but also check your nearest pro shop as a lot of the on course pro shops have decent 2nd hand clubs for sale as the weekend warrior buys the latest major winners gear after owning the last major winners gear 

Most club pros will price match the cheap places 

Affordable golf and some others I'd imagine can fit you for a fee then buy used in that spec, there's golfclubs4cash, quite good and you have a 14 day return on used clubs a vast selection too q

**Fantasy Golf Week 29**

Champ-Kind.jpg.add827a4ec8c6f0f304ee7188001d4a7.jpg

Whammy !!

Only a brief update this week lads as I'm currently sunning myself on holiday on the beautiful North Ayrshire Riviera (no golfing though ☹️) and I'm getting funny looks from the missus as I download weird photos onto my phone in the middle of our family meal.

Cam Champ won the 3M Open and now has more PGA titles than Louis Oosthuizen (2nd again) and Tony Finau put together, incredible. The Spaniard Elvira won the Cazoo Open on the European Tour, Nacho usual winner. (Haha, yes)

Barely any points handed out this week, except for @Honest_Man#1 who had both Champ and Oosthuizen and therefore landed a bonus and a bump up the table, he'll have to wait till next week to find out how big a move he made.

tokyo-olympic-golf-ball-artsy-2021.thumb.jpg.edb3ee8949cf0ba2a77b34030c6a6f10.jpg

We'll start with the biggest event this week, The Olympic Games. A small field and a few high profile call offs, it should still be a decent watch, with golf at the Olympics slowly gaining popularity. Masters champ Hideki Matsuyama must have a decent shout on home soil at the course he won the Asian Amateur Championship on, historic Kasumigaseki, built over 90 years ago and recently renovated by Tom Fazio. At over 7500 yards with deep 'Allison' bunkering, named after the original architect, whoever triumphs will have earned their gold medal. Double points for the medalists and 1.5x for the rest here.

KasumigasekiClosingHole-1694-MikeEhrmann.thumb.jpg.70a891bf84c93e50f8fd727358878851.jpg

The European Tour heads to the failed statelet of Northern Ireland for the IPS Handa World Invitational, which is a male/female mixed team sort of thing, which sounds like a good laugh.

PAY-Ian-Paisley.jpg.27e1801f1fad41be45753e2b1cb12f55.jpg

A reminder to get your transfers in before midnight Wednesday too.