Golfers Thread

Gaz

No surprise Deroidbeau had to pull out I always thought he might "struggle" with Olympic testing procedures 

Bubba and Phil are the only 2 golfers I can remember saying publicly they are vaxxed 

That sound of glass smashing everywhere that you all probably just heard was me needing 4 bogeys over the last four to make the club champ knockouts, and having 3 doubles before a birdie on the last to give me false hope. Absolute fucking fanny.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

That sound of glass smashing everywhere that you all probably just heard was me needing 4 bogeys over the last four to make the club champ knockouts, and having 3 doubles before a birdie on the last to give me false hope. Absolute fucking fanny.

Ouch!!! I sometimes wonder why we put ourselves through it...

1 hour ago, funky_nomad said:

Ouch!!! I sometimes wonder why we put ourselves through it...

Even worse is that I would have been in the handicap competition had it not been for a misjudged general play during the week that got me back down to single figures.

My handicap score would have strolled into the knockouts!

Nacho Elvira cards a maiden European Tour win at the Cazoo Open at Celtic Manor, but by Christ he didn't half make himself sweat for it. He had a 6 shot lead st the start, but 4 birdies and 4 bogeys coupled with Justin Harding heading for a -6 round of 65 saw his lead gone by the time he was on to the last few holes. He then birdied 17 to go back 1 ahead, but a bogey on the last put him into a playoff with Harding. The Spaniard's par at the 18th in the playoff was enough for the win as Harding bogeyed.

David Law and Connor Syme best placed Scots tied 18th, but 10 shots behind the winner. Law is up to 133rd on the Race to Dubai, had a half decent run lately as he fights to keep his card for next year.

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Ouch.

Just switched over from the darts to see Cameron Champ birdie #16 and move 2 clear of clubhouse leader Louis Oosthuizen. I've not been betting on golf since Covid-19 started, but I noticed Joe Champion tipped him in the Racing & Football Outlook preview on Tuesday. He was 150/1 with the bookie I looked at, so "fair fux" to Joe Champion. (Likely only tipped him because he likes the name, mind, but a 150/1 winner doesn't come along every day.) He was matched @ 200 (£63) and @ 190 (£103) on Betfair. Someone got 50p on @700. 

Edited by FortescueFotheringhamSmyth

Earlier this year I decided to get back into golf (not played properly since I was about 16, now 32), pieced together a wee set of clubs and had the view of joining a club at some point this year. I've been playing a lot of local courses to see what I fancy and played Balfron yesterday - it was in glorious condition and has really tempted me for a membership. Kept in great condition, some challenging holes (and pin positions!) but not overly difficult and it's quite spaced out too so even when there are plenty groups on the course you don't feel like it's crowded like other courses I've played. The only downside is the drive out for me, it's half an hour but there's potential for heavy delays on the road which could make nipping out for a round a bit of a pain. I live a 2 minute walk from Dumbarton golf course but it's pretty flat and boring course which is usually pretty busy. Not sure whether to favour convenience over a better course, when it's 500 quid you're forking out it makes these decisions a bit more difficult!

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Earlier this year I decided to get back into golf (not played properly since I was about 16, now 32), pieced together a wee set of clubs and had the view of joining a club at some point this year. I've been playing a lot of local courses to see what I fancy and played Balfron yesterday - it was in glorious condition and has really tempted me for a membership. Kept in great condition, some challenging holes (and pin positions!) but not overly difficult and it's quite spaced out too so even when there are plenty groups on the course you don't feel like it's crowded like other courses I've played. The only downside is the drive out for me, it's half an hour but there's potential for heavy delays on the road which could make nipping out for a round a bit of a pain. I live a 2 minute walk from Dumbarton golf course but it's pretty flat and boring course which is usually pretty busy. Not sure whether to favour convenience over a better course, when it's 500 quid you're forking out it makes these decisions a bit more difficult!

I played Cardross last year which was lovely.  Not sure where about that is in relation to you.

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

I played Cardross last year which was lovely.  Not sure where about that is in relation to you.

It's about a 10 minute drive but a wee bit out my price range for a membership. The intermediate membership isn't really ideal as I mainly only have time to play on Friday afternoons or Sunday mornings, full membership is about a grand. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

It's about a 10 minute drive but a wee bit out my price range for a membership. The intermediate membership isn't really ideal as I mainly only have time to play on Friday afternoons or Sunday mornings, full membership is about a grand. 

Ah, ok, I wasn't sure about subs.  I've not played it for many years but Dalmuir was always a great course when we played it as kids.  

I vaguely remember playing Vale of Leven and the only thing I remember was it was really hilly.

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Ah, ok, I wasn't sure about subs.  I've not played it for many years but Dalmuir was always a great course when we played it as kids.  

I vaguely remember playing Vale of Leven and the only thing I remember was it was really hilly.

Aye, I've been round Dalmuir many a time but it's fucking tiring and I feel some of the holes are particularly unfair (par 3 with the green tucked round a corner, another par 3 with the green elevated about 300ft in the air). The Vale isn't as tiring as Dalmuir but you can spend most of the day hitting shots above or below your feet. I think it's a 3 way race between Dumbarton, VoL and Balfron, with Balfron edging in front at the moment. I'm sorting myself out with a new putter this week then when I get paid I'll get signed up somewhere. 

Aye, I've been round Dalmuir many a time but it's fucking tiring and I feel some of the holes are particularly unfair (par 3 with the green tucked round a corner, another par 3 with the green elevated about 300ft in the air). The Vale isn't as tiring as Dalmuir but you can spend most of the day hitting shots above or below your feet. I think it's a 3 way race between Dumbarton, VoL and Balfron, with Balfron edging in front at the moment. I'm sorting myself out with a new putter this week then when I get paid I'll get signed up somewhere. 

I like the par 3 with the dogleg, but the Road Hole - Gully - Hill 60 run of holes is knackering!

Been playing the odd round on the Antonine course at Dullatur and it makes Dalmuir look flat. The hike from the 17th green to 18th tee wasn’t fun in Friday morning’s heat and after a pretty horrible run on the back 9! Cracking course though, shame it’s ear-marked for housing soon.

1 minute ago, codfish said:

I like the par 3 with the dogleg, but the Road Hole - Gully - Hill 60 run of holes is knackering!

I'm sure for decent golfers who can carry the trees, the dogleg par 3 is fun, but for chumfers like me it means almost certain bogey and/or a lost ball. The run from the road hole should be used for some sort of preseason training.