Golfers Thread

Gaz

15 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Dual in the sun? 🤨

I’m surprised he hasn’t trademarked it as ‘The Trump Turnberry Duel in the Sun’. Sorry to keep going on about Turnberry, but I found it quite funny whilst having a look at the pictures hung around the clubhouse, that a good 50 percent of them are Donald and his family members. One of the first I seen that greets you as you walk up the stairs is a picture of Trump with his thumbs up, standing on the grounds of the hotel with a helicopter in the background :lol: 

There is some very interesting photos and artwork amongst them though which do relate to the game of golf. 

Edit- Found the picture. 

68955560-382A-4E12-B3C4-1C28A7A9B9A6.jpeg

Edited by IrishBhoy

40 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Anybody else listen to the no laying up podcast guys?

I'm always amazed how many muricans use a VPN to get a sky stream because there coverage is so bad 

I think Sky do a pretty good job, especially when it comes to the week of the Open. Live coverage from the very first ball on Thursday morning right through to the finish, and they seem to be fairer with their coverage of the whole field instead of focusing on ‘feature groups’. When watching an American broadcast, if they cut away to show you one of the lesser known players hitting an iron from 150 yards away, you can bet your house it’s either going in the hole or very close. 

The Swing Zone is also a good feature they have and they seem to be able to get most of the players involved. 

59 minutes ago, GallowayBlue said:

Anyone able to recommend a decent beginners set of clubs please?

Are you buying new or looking for pre-owned? Full set with driver, irons, wedges, putter etc.?

My advice to anyone looking for a set of clubs as a beginner is to get on eBay/Gumtree and just type in ‘golf clubs full set’, or something of that nature. Friend of mine has just started out and I advised him to get a pre owned set initially. I was keeping an eye on EBay for him and he ended up buying a full set of Wilson irons, a Mizuno driver, Wilson putter and an old Taylormade lob wedge, for £120 including postage (there was an old bag thrown in that looked like it was once owned by Old Tom Morris, so he bought a new stand bag for £80). I would guess the clubs are around 15-20 years old, possibly older, but perfect for a beginner. The set actually came with a 3 iron, which is rare these days, and I hit a few balls with it at the range that I struck cleaner than my own irons which didn’t cost 120 quid.  

What I would say is if you are able to see the clubs before you buy them I would recommend doing that. We took a chance on that set as they were coming from England somewhere, but the seller had put up plenty of pictures and I could tell the clubs were in a good condition.

Edit - I should have said, when looking for a set online obviously try and stick to the more well known brands. There’s some chancers out there selling Donnay clubs that arent worth 2 bob. Wilson seems to be the most regular brand I seen being sold, which will be fine if in good condition. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 hour ago, GallowayBlue said:

What about this apparently unused set for £100. Does that seem reasonable?

D5C437E7-04F5-4066-8171-DA07685553F6.jpeg

Yeah for a bag, couple of woods some irons that's fine..check if there's a putter and some wedges also 

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Any chance we might be able to enjoy the final day unfold at Sandwich this afternoon, without these f*cking ar*eholes shouting out from the Tee at every opportunity?

On yesterday's evidence, I'd say no. 

The only advantage is that they will have about 90 minutes less drinking time today. 

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

McIlroy making a complete arse of the 1st emoji23.png

He seems to have lost a lot of desire and the ability to dig deep when the going gets tough. He was really getting on my tits on Friday when he kept on trying to nonchalantly twirl his club after a shite shot. He's fooling no-one.

The infuriating thing is that he is so talented and should have at least 10 majors under his belt by now. 😡

Bob birdies the 1st to get to -5. [emoji2]
........and bogey at the 2nd. [emoji37]
And gets it back to -5 again.

Could be a fascinating afternoon. Louis never really got going in the final round at Kiawah, Morikawa looks steady but putted woefully last week, but somehow seems to have fixed it in s few days. Speith still looks to have one loose shot too many to see it out and looked petrified over a couple of short putts last night.

The ones behind will need to hit 64 or 65 to have any chance imo, and even then need some help from the leading two.