Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Mon the wind start gusting 25mph bring em all back to bob 

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

A quick start tomorrow and Bob may well be in it

Not looking likely if the forecast they're talking about comes to pass. 

A real pity they don't have the sort of wind there is up here just now. 

Day out on the Ailsa at Turnberry on Thursday thanks to a friend of a friend who is a member down there. By a country mile the best course I’ve ever played, and we got lucky with the weather as well. Extremely jealous of anyone with the funds to be a member, hopefully one day I will be able to justify it as well. 

The holes around the lighthouse are brilliant to play due to the views out across the ocean with the Ailsa Craig in view. 

Stopped at the lighthouse for a sausage roll, bottle of juice and a pee. This turned out to be the most expensive sausage roll I’ve ever bought at a cost of £7.50, but after seeing the quality of the toilet pictured below, I quickly forgot about it. 

Really sad that it’s not on the Open rota due to Mr Trump but hopefully one day it will be again. Next plan is to go and play the Robert the Bruce course which looks in fantastic condition as well from what we seen. Speaking to a couple of members in the restaurant after the round and they both spoke very highly of it. 

B2065B57-F4B2-4D92-985A-9A0E118648D4.jpeg

3DD7245C-FA1A-4959-BE45-353881D31B52.jpeg

16 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Day out on the Ailsa at Turnberry on Thursday thanks to a friend of a friend who is a member down there. By a country mile the best course I’ve ever played, and we got lucky with the weather as well. Extremely jealous of anyone with the funds to be a member, hopefully one day I will be able to justify it as well. 

The holes around the lighthouse are brilliant to play due to the views out across the ocean with the Ailsa Craig in view. 

Stopped at the lighthouse for a sausage roll, bottle of juice and a pee. This turned out to be the most expensive sausage roll I’ve ever bought at a cost of £7.50, but after seeing the quality of the toilet pictured below, I quickly forgot about it. 

Really sad that it’s not on the Open rota due to Mr Trump but hopefully one day it will be again. Next plan is to go and play the Robert the Bruce course which looks in fantastic condition as well from what we seen. Speaking to a couple of members in the restaurant after the round and they both spoke very highly of it. 

B2065B57-F4B2-4D92-985A-9A0E118648D4.jpeg

3DD7245C-FA1A-4959-BE45-353881D31B52.jpeg

It’s phenomenal. So much better than the other open venues I’ve played which makes it frustrating as you say that Trump is essentially stopping it getting back on the rota (although there were rumours pre-Trump that the R&A don’t like using it as the infrastructure for fans isn’t as good). Occasionally you get random price drops for tee times when checking the site. I played a Saturday in May for £120, when the surrounding tee times were all £250, very odd. But for £120 it’s great value considering the prices for some open venues.

22 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It’s phenomenal. So much better than the other open venues I’ve played which makes it frustrating as you say that Trump is essentially stopping it getting back on the rota (although there were rumours pre-Trump that the R&A don’t like using it as the infrastructure for fans isn’t as good). Occasionally you get random price drops for tee times when checking the site. I played a Saturday in May for £120, when the surrounding tee times were all £250, very odd. But for £120 it’s great value considering the prices for some open venues.

We got lucky in that we didn’t have to pay for the round although the member we were with takes a caddy out with him, so the only expense was a tip for the caddy at the end of the round (which was very much earned due to the amount of times he found my ball in the rough for me). 

I could imagine why it wouldn’t be the best host venue with regards to the infrastructure around the course, it’s sort of boxed in between the hotel and the sea, but as a course it definitely deserves its place in my opinion. Have you played the RtB course? 

41 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I genuinely can’t justify paying over £100 for a round of golf, no matter how good the course is. 

Everyone’s different, and we are lucky enough in Scotland that we have plenty of amazing courses that don’t need to break the bank. 

I’ve paid 100+ a few times for a round, but only when I think it’s justifiable. I paid £195 for St Andrews a couple of weeks ago, but the memories I have for the rest of my life every time I see that course on TV justify that price for me. Next year when the Open is at St Andrews I will be watching the professionals on the same fairways and greens that I was, and the last thing I will be thinking about is how much it cost me to play it.