Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just now, Frank Sobotka said:

Funniest moment had to be Ian Poulter, noising up the crowd alongside a spectator in an England shirt with a flag. (Seen a few of those yesterday). Saying "it's coming home" repeatedly whilst waiting to tee off on a par 5. Eventually goes to tee off and some guy shouts C'mon Italy on his backswing causing a 30 yard slice.

I mean, that's poor form, but 😆

50 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

That's a quality comedy double-take from Rory, there.

That's the bonus of social distancing. You can stroll up and take the driver out of Rory's bag while everyone keeps their 2m distance from you. 

Thomas Detry missed out at The Open final qualifying a few weeks back, giving himself a chance of winning a spot here.

Ryan Palmer has obviously forgotten he is in my fantasy team, this is the first time he has been on the first page of a leaderboard since I picked him.

On 05/07/2021 at 19:03, Ro Sham Bo said:

£95 is a bit steep. I tend to try and take in a day's play at the Scottish venues each time one comes round but that price, especially for the St Andrews spectator experience, is pushing it. 

When the Open is in Scotland I like to attend on the Saturday if I can. You usually get a few good pairings you can follow around at certain points if you pick out a couple of grandstands or tee boxes to head for, retire to the tented village as the day dies down and head for the train before it becomes a free for all. I would never choose to go on a Sunday though, that’s a day for planting yourself in front of the TV. Although one of my best ever days at the golf, or anywhere for that matter, was on a Sunday. 

I’d got a ticket to the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles on the Sunday and ended up hearing the winning putt on a German guys portable radio, even though it was happening live about 500 yards from me. Seen a couple of good moments live; Poulter chipping in against Webb Simpson I think, and was about 5 feet from Garcia as he chopped out the rough on one of the mounds to an inch from the hole. They had ran out of beer by about 11am that day and the only options were whisky or wine. I didn’t fancy the whisky at that time of the morning so I was stoating about the course with two bottles of cheap Ryder Cup branded rosè, that cost me about 70 quid into the bargain, talking to anyone who would listen (and probably some people who didn’t want to listen). 

Had so many great encounters that day with people of all nationalities, but the best was a sound guy from Dundee that I was chatting away to as we headed for the train station. He had been a steward and was wearing all the official gear, lanyard round his neck etc. He was saying he was gutted he couldn’t stay for the party and free bar that was getting put on for all the volunteers as he had to head home sharp. He had obviously noticed I was a bit merry and just as our train was pulling up he handed me his lanyard and official Ryder Cup anorak and told me to go and chance it at the door of the big tent beside the first fairway. I didn’t have much time to tell him how appreciative I was but I stuck the jacket and the lanyard on, ran back on to the course and up the ramp of the hospitality area, flashed my lanyard to the guy at the door who never took a second look, and spent the next few hours at a free bar mingling with the real, deserving, volunteers. I think I told a good 70 percent of them that I had just got the jacket and lanyard from a sound guy at the train station, and I had no right being there, but they didn’t seem to mind. Neil Lennon was in there drinking cans of Red Stripe with Martin Kaymers caddy and a few other very fat Irish guys. I went over and tried to have a chat with him about football, but he put his hand round the back of my neck, pushed it down, and said ‘listen what’s your problem mate?’, in an accent that can only be described as very very similar to Gerry Adams. I moved away from his group and proceeded to tell everyone else I spoke to that I had just heard Lennon use sectarian language, and in an act of spite tweeted a picture that I had took of him to a Daily Record journalist. It was a truly great night, and if anyone on here knows a volunteer at that Ryder Cup from Dundee who had to leave early, please send him my regards. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

When the Open is in Scotland I like to attend on the Saturday if I can. You usually get a few good pairings you can follow around at certain points if you pick out a couple of grandstands or tee boxes to head for, retire to the tented village as the day dies down and head for the train before it becomes a free for all. I would never choose to go on a Sunday though, that’s a day for planting yourself in front of the TV. Although one of my best ever days at the golf, or anywhere for that matter, was on a Sunday. 

I’d got a ticket to the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles on the Sunday and ended up hearing the winning putt on a German guys portable radio, even though it was happening live about 500 yards from me. Seen a couple of good moments live; Poulter chipping in against Webb Simpson I think, and was about 5 feet from Garcia as he chopped out the rough on one of the mounds to an inch from the hole. They had ran out of beer by about 11am that day and the only options were whisky or wine. I didn’t fancy the whisky at that time of the morning so I was stoating about the course with two bottles of cheap Ryder Cup branded rosè, that cost me about 70 quid into the bargain, talking to anyone who would listen (and probably some people who didn’t want to listen). 

Had so many great encounters that day with people of all nationalities, but the best was a sound guy from Dundee that I was chatting away to as we headed for the train station. He had been a steward and was wearing all the official gear, lanyard round his neck etc. He was saying he was gutted he couldn’t stay for the party and free bar that was getting put on for all the volunteers as he had to head home sharp. He had obviously noticed I was a bit merry and just as our train was pulling up he handed me his lanyard and official Ryder Cup anorak and told me to go and chance it at the door of the big tent beside the first fairway. I didn’t have much time to tell him how appreciative I was but I stuck the jacket and the lanyard on, ran back on to the course and up the ramp of the hospitality area, flashed my lanyard to the guy at the door who never took a second look, and spent the next few hours at a free bar mingling with the real, deserving, volunteers. I think I told a good 70 percent of them that I had just got the jacket and lanyard from a sound guy at the train station, and I had no right being there, but they didn’t seem to mind. Neil Lennon was in there drinking cans of Red Stripe with Martin Kaymers caddy and a few other very fat Irish guys. I went over and tried to have a chat with him about football, but he put his hand round the back of my neck, pushed it down, and said ‘listen what’s your problem mate?’, in an accent that can only be described as very very similar to Gerry Adams. I moved away from his group and proceeded to tell everyone else I spoke to that I had just heard Lennon use sectarian language, and in an act of spite tweeted a picture that I had took of him to a Daily Record journalist. It was a truly great night, and if anyone on here knows a volunteer at that Ryder Cup from Dundee who had to leave early, please send him my regards. 

I've only ever been to one Open Sunday. Never fancied it for the same reason as you and only had the ticket because my wife bought it as a birthday present.  Fortunately for me it was the Stenson v Mickelson duel at Troon, so everyone outside their pairing was irrelevant.  

It was the finest sporting spectacle I've attended by a country mile. 

So many made the cut at Scottish Open that there will be a secondary cut after the 3rd round. Process is as follows-

“The European Tour's third-round cut rule is very similar in nature to that of the PGA Tour. If 78 or more players make the 36-hole or second-round cut in a tournament, then there will be a secondary cut after the third round. On the PGA Tour, that cut is made to the number "nearest 70 as possible," while on the European Tour, that number will be the top 72 professionals and any players tied for 72nd place after three rounds.”

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

So many made the cut at Scottish Open that there will be a secondary cut after the 3rd round. Process is as follows-

“The European Tour's third-round cut rule is very similar in nature to that of the PGA Tour. If 78 or more players make the 36-hole or second-round cut in a tournament, then there will be a secondary cut after the third round. On the PGA Tour, that cut is made to the number "nearest 70 as possible," while on the European Tour, that number will be the top 72 professionals and any players tied for 72nd place after three rounds.”

Out of interest will those that miss the 3rd round cut receive any prize money?

4 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I can't recall ever seeing that before. 

I did notice it was a huge field today, with three balls all round. 

Looking for a bit of help with the Scottish golf app, I’m trying to enter an open am-am at my home course, I’ve already got a team of 4 but one person is a member elsewhere and comes down every year for it. It won’t let me enter unless I have 4 players but it won’t let me enter the non members name or “guest” like it did on brs. Does anyone know how to bypass this or what to put in? Thanks in advance

30 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes they receive prize money and ranking points based on their position after 3 rounds. They are classified as MDF ie made cut didn’t finish

Thanks, thought it would be a bit harsh to make halfway cut and receive zilch.

Played Strathtay this morning.  Lovely wee 9 hole course in absolutely spectacular condition.  

It's got 2 very driveable par 4's. The 1st and the 5th (?). 1st I hit a great 3 wood just up the left but saw it land just left of the green. Got up there and it's nowhere to be found.  The 5th I hit to just off the back of the green and took 3 further shots to get it in the hole.  

Seething, etc. 

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes they receive prize money and ranking points based on their position after 3 rounds. They are classified as MDF ie made cut didn’t finish

Looking good so far. 

Is such a nice day that I really should be out in the garden but it's tempting just to settle in front of the TV for the afternoon. 

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Enjoying the golf from Scottish Open.

I have a small wager  this week which is a double on Connor Syme to make the cut after round two (already in) and Richie Ramsay to finish top 40 (currently tied 17th).

Will win £310 if it comes in.

A lovely bogey free 6 under 65 for Ramsay today. Currently tied 5th. 

Pleasing.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer