Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played the Old Course again a week past on Friday, with a howling wind off the sea that made a couple of the holes completely unplayable for a golfer of my standard. Literally creaming 6 irons down the fairway that were lucky to land 90 yards away, and when I was brave enough to pull out a hybrid or a 3 wood the wind was taking it either on to the Eden or the New Course. Went round in 107 and lost at least half a dozen balls, three of which were St Andrews branded Pro V1s that I bought out the shop beside the 18th green. 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Played the Old Course again a week past on Friday, with a howling wind off the sea that made a couple of the holes completely unplayable for a golfer of my standard. Literally creaming 6 irons down the fairway that were lucky to land 90 yards away, and when I was brave enough to pull out a hybrid or a 3 wood the wind was taking it either on to the Eden or the New Course. Went round in 107 and lost at least half a dozen balls, three of which were St Andrews branded Pro V1s that I bought out the shop beside the 18th green. 

I'm taking the mother in law's dog down there later for his Sunday stroll I'll see if I can find them for ye 😉

53 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I'm taking the mother in law's dog down there later for his Sunday stroll I'll see if I can find them for ye 😉

First time I’ve ever bought Pro V1s and most likely the last. A slice into the bushes hurts more when it’s costing you 6 quid a time. Follow the path up between the 2nd tee and the clubhouse and you might get a couple of them. 

Anyone got a recommendation for a nice course down Ayrshire way that isn’t £100+? Playing Irvine Bogside on Wednesday and my friend has managed to get us a game at Turnberry on the Ailsa course on Thursday through a member. Played Prestwick St Cuthberts a few weeks ago and wasn’t impressed with it for the money they are charging, and have played the municipals at Troon multiple times, so any courses apart from them? 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Anyone got a recommendation for a nice course down Ayrshire way that isn’t £100+? Playing Irvine Bogside on Wednesday and my friend has managed to get us a game at Turnberry on the Ailsa course on Thursday through a member. Played Prestwick St Cuthberts a few weeks ago and wasn’t impressed with it for the money they are charging, and have played the municipals at Troon multiple times, so any courses apart from them? 

West Kilbride is very decent, Think it's about £70

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

West Kilbride is very decent, Think it's about £70

I’ve actually been recommended that before and it hasn’t crossed my mind, that’s a good shout cheers. 

We were going to book Barrassie which I know is good but I played it years ago, trying to find somewhere none of us have played and I think West Kilbride fits that bill. 

For any east coasters through this neck of the woods, Irvine is a cracking course that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg like the Gailes or Dundonald, although admittedly great courses. £50 I think it is for a round. If I stayed 20 minutes further west I would be joining Irvine in a heartbeat, but it’s just slightly too far away for me to be getting down there after work. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Grant Forrest took a 6 at the last hole yesterday, and looks like doing it again as he's hit 4 just to get on the green. Wrecked a really good score which would have seen him take the clubhouse lead and possibly bag an Open spot.

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Grant Forrest took a 6 at the last hole yesterday, and looks like doing it again as he's hit 4 just to get on the green. Wrecked a really good score which would have seen him take the clubhouse lead and possibly bag an Open spot.

It's a sickener for him. Took three from the edge of the 17th as well. 

Anyone go in for the ballot for St Andrews next year, the 150th Open? I’ve applied for 4 Saturday tickets which they are pricing at £95 each, which I think is 25 odd quid dearer than the last Open at St Andrews I was at, the year it went on to the Monday. 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

T4th finishes for Forrest and Richie Ramsay is still a decent week's work.

It at least puts them both well on course to retain their cards after slow starts to the season. 

Hopefully they can continue their form into next week where there will no doubt also be slots available for the Open. 

7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It at least puts them both well on course to retain their cards after slow starts to the season. 

Hopefully they can continue their form into next week where there will no doubt also be slots available for the Open. 

3 more Open slots available next week. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Anyone go in for the ballot for St Andrews next year, the 150th Open? I’ve applied for 4 Saturday tickets which they are pricing at £95 each, which I think is 25 odd quid dearer than the last Open at St Andrews I was at, the year it went on to the Monday. 

I've applied for the Sunday only but I was a steward last time at St Andrews as my club is one the clubs that get to look after a hole when the opens there.12 th hole and I found out during the week that the gear you get given you isn't waterproof even though it was Ralph Lauren branded but I'll be entering the ballot to steward again

I’ve applied for the Thursday and the Saturday.