Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played a stableford open at Longniddry today. Well kept course, but a little bit dull for me. Happy enough having paid £20 but I’d paid the usual visitor green fee of £85 (I think) I’d have felt ripped off.

Was absolutely stinking on the front 9, but then had a great back nine, until the 17th where I’m fairly certain a group playing the parallel hole played my ball. Very frustrating hitting a good drive and then finding a ball that’s not your one in the general area where your one was. 2 shots dropped and the hole is fucked because someone hasn’t checked the fucking ball before hitting it.

8 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Played the Dunkeld Open today. Greens were horrific very bare and patchy. Struggled to get any read off them. As soon as the ball hit a patch it bobbled in the air. Very disappointed to say the least

497F1B25-7315-4BE6-BAB0-77581BCA7C77.jpeg

That's disappointing to hear, it's a cracking course when it's in good nick. The 18th is a brilliant finishing hole, IMO.

4 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Yep. I found myself playing from the road far too many times over the years (it's the course I grew up playing).

I enjoyed it….until the greens. A fair few short par 4s that had narrow greens and were hard to land on without running off the back. 

9 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I enjoyed it….until the greens. A fair few short par 4s that had narrow greens and were hard to land on without running off the back. 

Yeah, there are a few fun holes. Although most of the good ones sit in the original course, rather than the extension (9-16). The 6th (the drivable ravine, although the sensible play is down next to the fairway bunker for the best angle in) and the 8th (over the road, elevated green) are personal favourites.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Yeah, there are a few fun holes. Although most of the good ones sit in the original course, rather than the extension (9-16). The 6th (the drivable ravine, although the sensible play is down next to the fairway bunker for the best angle in) and the 8th (over the road, elevated green) are personal favourites.

A poor drive on 7 made me have to play it like a  par 5. The 3 putt on the shite green cost me. The 4th was weird. My playing partners (ex members) told me to drive up the 5th fairway for a better angle in! 

26 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

A poor drive on 7 made me have to play it like a  par 5. The 3 putt on the shite green cost me. The 4th was weird. My playing partners (ex members) told me to drive up the 5th fairway for a better angle in! 

Back over on the 1st on the 7th? The green is quite well protected from over there.

I've never considered playing the 4th that way, but it makes sense as it takes the rock face out of play.

13 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Back over on the 1st on the 7th? The green is quite well protected from over there.

I've never considered playing the 4th that way, but it makes sense as it takes the rock face out of play.

The 8th sorry mate, with the raised green. Yea it did take the rocks out of play. Still doubled it though 

Glorious, if breezy, morning for golf. Played second round of club champs qualifying at Ladybank. My two nett rounds of 73-71 is guaranteed to make the Handicap knock-outs, but I'm a bit concerned that 82-79 might make the cut for the Scratch knock-outs. Qualified for that a couple of years ago and was drawn to play someone off +4... 🤣

Weird that I can play 2 very solid rounds off the back tees at Ladybank over a weekend, but chuck an absolutely honking NR at my home club in the middle. This game... 🙄

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

My two nett rounds of 73-71 is guaranteed to make the Handicap knock-outs, but I'm a bit concerned that 82-79 might make the cut for the Scratch knock-outs. Qualified for that a couple of years ago and was drawn to play someone off +4... 🤣

Feck, it's happened again...

What is wrong with all the Cat 1 players at Ladybank not having the bottle...

So, instead of being 2nd seed in the Handicap section and fancying my chances (and a decent pay-out!), I'm 15th seed and playing a scratch golfer off bare feet. 🙄