Golfers Thread

Gaz

Laird 4 under after round one and currently sitting tied 13th.

Seems to be safely in, he's T5th on a total of 9 under and a few shots inside the cut off mark. Fowler a few shots the other side of the line. Final round scores not all posted yet.Screenshot_20210608-082137_Chrome.jpg

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Seems to be safely in, he's T5th on a total of 9 under and a few shots inside the cut off mark. Fowler a few shots the other side of the line. Final round scores not all posted yet.Screenshot_20210608-082137_Chrome.jpg

They must have had a glitch in the updates because they haven't been updated for a couple of hours and it will be the middle of the night there now.

Either that or they couldn't get finished in one day and had to suspend play.

They must have had a glitch in the updates because they haven't been updated for a couple of hours and it will be the middle of the night there now.

I follow Monday Q Info on Twitter ( @acaseofthegolf1 ) He was at the event at Springfield, it's a crazy day with some great stories. He's got dozens of tweets from yesterday that are worth a read. This was one about the strength of field at Columbus.

They should have one major a year where only the defending champion qualifies automatically. Everyone else has to go through qualifiers. Millionaire PGA superstars having to battle it out with some chain smoking driving range instructor on a some goat track in Carolina.

12 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

We’ve got tee times for Dornoch, Brora and Golspie (Golspie at a frankly ludicrous £9, must be the best value ever seen in golf?).

Having played it on Saturday and Sunday I can confirm that £9 for Golspie is the biggest bargain in the history of golf. The course is absolutely immaculate, greens are in some of the best condition I've ever seen them. Came off with an 84 on Saturday which I was pretty pleased with. Finished with an 80 on Sunday and was absolutely raging with myself. 4 over after 12, playing some of the best I'd ever played, inexplicably put two OB on the 13th, which is one of the widest fairways on the course, for an 8, and had another inexplicable double bogey on the 16th. Still don't know how I did either of them. What a sport.

On the pub front, everywhere was busy on Saturday. Good few in the golf club for food and pints, GI renovation is pretty nice, didn't have food, but looked decent. Stag remains one of my favourite boozers on the planet and the pints of T are a thing of beauty. The Chinese was also excellent as always. Don't think the Ben will be open by the time you're up (still scaffolding outside) , and sadly as @RH33 says, Caber won't be open any time soon.

**Fantasy Golf Week 23**

RahmReaction.thumb.png.6d1f62953a3d6b154cf86aec4daf8669.png

Rahmbo First (positive) Blood (test)

The nightmare scenario finally came as big John was forced to withdraw due to covid at The Memorial despite leading by 6. Scenes if this happens next week at the US Open. Pat Cantlay was the big winner after seeing off Morikawa in a play off.

Over in Europe, an emotional Marcus Armitage won the weird 3 day Saturday to Monday European Open.

No, you're crying.

Overall Standings 

@die hard doonhamer smashes through the 1000 points barrier as this week marks roughly the half way stage.

1004 @die hard doonhamer

972 @Tartan Dave

954 @alta-pete

919 @J_Stewart

904 @Ro Sham Bo

899 @lichtie23

868 @Avon Barksdale

863 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

829 @Honest_Man#1

823 @peasy23

738 @Distant Doonhamer

The Race to Whistling Straits 

414 @Honest_Man#1

370 @Tartan Dave

358 @Ro Sham Bo

350 @die hard doonhamer

334 @Distant Doonhamer

326 @peasy23

314 @lichtie23

252 @Avon Barksdale

244 @J_Stewart

166 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

392769727_Annika-Sorenstam-och-Henrik-Stenson.png.097a85785a1b39e313decbb5807cedaa.png

US Open next week lads, but first up is the Scandinavian Mixed Event hosted by Henrik and Annika. Playing at Vallda in Sweden at a course designed by Martin Hawtree who some of you may know as the guy who does a lot of work for the R&A in altering Open venues. This has been designed as a typical British heathland course and will play quite short as the girls are here.

congaree-golf-club-south-carolina.thumb.jpg.4fc150de1156930d87fb5d02bd0fc763.jpg

A good field heads back to South Carolina for The Palmetto Championship at Congaree. A first time on tour for this Tom Fazio design which is a homage to the courses on the Melbourne sandbelt, so it'll be firm and fast, good practice for next week. This replaces the Canadian Open, traditionally played the week before the US. The 2nd year in a row they've missed out.

The anti Canadian agenda continues smh.

burnflag.jpg.3960bbb495ca1a8605f8d5ce4a55dffa.jpg

Danny Willett having a tough few months. He had Covid in March then had to have a troublesome Wisdom tooth removed in April.

He was playing at the Memorial at the weekend and an abdominal pain kept him awake on Saturday night. He played on Sunday and ended up 26th. The pain turned out to be appendicitis, and he had surgery yesterday to remove his appendix and had a hernia op at the same time.

Not much info about why it took so long, but here are the 16 who made it through from Columbus. Harrington, Dufner, Bradley and Fowler all missed out by a shot. Screenshot_20210608-161745_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Not much info about why it took so long, but here are the 16 who made it through from Columbus. Harrington, Dufner, Bradley and Fowler all missed out by a shot. Screenshot_20210608-161745_Chrome.jpg

Fair play to the amateur from coming through that field.

I feel that tied 1st for Van Rooyen should be rewarded with some fantasy league points for anyone who has him in their team :whistle

Fair play to the amateur from coming through that field.
I feel that tied 1st for Van Rooyen should be rewarded with some fantasy league points for anyone who has him in their team :whistle
Me too with Van Rooyen. [emoji1787]

A lot of the big courses that usually you struggle to even get a time on are clearly blowing out of their arse at the moment with no American tourists. Deals on at loads of them, and entering the ballot for the Old Course basically guarantees you a spot. Great time to tick off some of the bucket list courses before travel resumes and it goes back to being impossible and ragingly expensive.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

A lot of the big courses that usually you struggle to even get a time on are clearly blowing out of their arse at the moment with no American tourists. Deals on at loads of them, and entering the ballot for the Old Course basically guarantees you a spot. Great time to tick off some of the bucket list courses before travel resumes and it goes back to being impossible and ragingly expensive.

I played it a few weeks back through the ballot and thinking about trying for it again next week. If I had the money I would be playing it once a week. 

Played Gullane No. 2 this morning and started 7, 8, 7, 8. The wind was blowing strong and I struggled badly. The course itself was excellent and it’s a great set up they have but really need to be upping the standard of my game to truly enjoy these courses. Bought a 3 pack of TP5 balls out the pro shop before I teed off and had lost them all by the 4th :lol: I’ve came back with more balls than I left with though, due to spending so much time farting about in the rough I found plenty lying around including a few Pro Vs. 

Edit - The club house car park beside the 18th on No2 at Gullane is in a dangerous place, I wonder how many times people have come off the course to find a ball through their window.

We had the wind behind us standing on that tee and all ended safely down the fairway, but we worked out it’s only around 260 to reach the car park from the tee, without taking a helping wind into consideration. I don’t regularly hit my driver 260 but in those conditions today I wouldn’t be a kick in the stones off it, and I’m far from a long hitter. Good to know for the next time I’m at Gullane, or anyone on here that hasn’t been before, park as far from the 18th as you can. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Took the new irons out for a spin in the midweek medal at Ladybank  yesterday evening - learned hee-haw about their "true" distances due to a 2-club wind blowing for the first 15 holes, but the putter definitely got the message that I'm having a clearout of old technology as it was on fire last night. 27 putts (including 9 up-and-downs) certainly smartened the scorecard up and, bar a stupid left-right-left-right fairway-avoiding double down the last I'd have won the thing. Still, a wee confidence boost ahead of 36-hole club champs qualifying at Ladybank this weekend, and attempting a salvage operation for the Tulliallan qualifying on Saturday afternoon.

It was the final round of our Championship and 75th Anniversary qualifiers but having missed the first two I wasn't really playing for anything.
Started ok, but on the 4th pulled one into the rough which we thought we would find but couldn't. Couldn't be arsed going back to hit another, but ended up hitting a score on the other 17 holes that will likely see me getting a cut. It's showing on the Scottish Golf app as an adjusted gross of 90, which is better than 5 of my current counting scores.