Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Dornoch is decent as well, Eagle, Castle and Coach are all decent boozers and all do food as well. There certainly used to be a decent Italian, but not been there in years, and think it has a couple of takeaways too, but they were pretty dodgy, might be fine now.

Are you perhaps thinking of Luigi's? It's still on the go as far as I know.

And @Honest_Man#1 you might be interested in the Dornoch Firth Golf Pass for your trip. Might save you a few quid. Covers Tain, Golspie, Brora and the Struie course at Royal Dornoch. You can do the Championship course as well but I think you pay a top up fee to use it.

https://www.dornochfirthgolf.co.uk/

Anyone use any at home putting stuff? My all round game is pretty good bar putting and my course has no practice green. All the stuff online looks like a bit of a con but any of them decent? 

feel this post may attract a ton of bots or something so can only apologise ...

5 hours ago, Netan Sansara said:

Might be of interest to some, think it was @Honest_Man#1 that was asking about this before?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/57341294

It's something that would interest me. I don't have the time to justify commitment to a membership anywhere (today was my first round of golf since August 2018 :o) but I'm intending to get out a few times this year. 

It'd be interesting to see what numbers Scottish Golf have budgeted for in terms of income from Open Play - I recall being at the Scottish Golf Conference when this was initially proposed and the forecasts were pretty wild then!

At £5.99 a month the price point only looks sensible for those that already play a decent amount of golf, so I'm not sure where the benefit for casual golfers who only play a couple of times a year with their mates is. SG may of course be hoping that people sign up initially and then forget they've got a direct debit every month...

I'd be concerned that those golfers who just want to play in Opens but need a CDH number to play will give up memberships,  as this system suits them down to the ground - not sure how many that'd be but it's probably more than I imagine.  Even the name would indicate that this is the core market. That could affect club membership much more negatively than the numbers "converted" from Open Play to take up club membership.

Anyone else having trouble fathoming out their Competition Handicaps?

Over my last 3 games my Course Handicaps have been 9, 8 and 8. Corresponding Competition Handicaps have been 8, 7 and 8. I know there's a 95% allocation for Strokeplay and Stableford comps, but the numbers don't appear to make sense, and they don't tally with what I see on the HDID App.

In my head I've started using my Handicap Index as my Competition Handicap and anything extra comes as a bonus, but I still find it annoying not knowing what I'm playing off standing on the first tee.

21 hours ago, Tartan Dave said:

Anyone use any at home putting stuff? My all round game is pretty good bar putting and my course has no practice green. All the stuff online looks like a bit of a con but any of them decent? 

feel this post may attract a ton of bots or something so can only apologise ...

I bought a PuttOut mat, and it’s not bad, but unfortunately it’s just incredibly boring to use. Putting practice is boring at the best of times, but at least on a practice green you’ve got contours etc and can putt to a variety of holes, whereas any hole putting mat is just putting in a straight line repeatedly.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I bought a PuttOut mat, and it’s not bad, but unfortunately it’s just incredibly boring to use. Putting practice is boring at the best of times, but at least on a practice green you’ve got contours etc and can putt to a variety of holes, whereas any hole putting mat is just putting in a straight line repeatedly.

Use of the putt-out mat in my house definitely involves putts that break. I’m not telling the current future Mrs Connolly in case she wants the floorboards levelled

I get protocol is protocol but if he is feeling fine and 100% asymptomatic why not let him go out alone with a marker who stays away at all times, no one else needs go near him and let him play, seems mad and the only reason I can think of is that they wouldn’t want to not be able to have the trophy presentation etc with all the sponsorship etc

7 hours ago, CaspianChris said:

Saw this statement from the PGA Tour regarding John Rahm and his withdrawal due to Covid 

That puts Rory only 11 behind the leaders now... Mcginley will be on later telling us only Rors can win from there 

Played Millport for the first time yesterday, very tough in a strong breeze and being unfamiliar with quite a few blind shots. I've only brought a half set with me due to lack of space in the car. Biggest club I have with me is a 6 iron, creamed one downwind which travelled 220 yards, turned and played the next hole back into the wind and an equally good strike barely made 150.

Very picturesque with nice views over to Bute and Arran and up the Firth of Clyde too. Couple of pictures including one from the par 3 12th tee if you zoom in you can just see the flag. 135 yards downhill with a strong left to right wind yesterday, I was quite happy to walk off with a 4 after finding the front right bunker.20210605_151923.jpg20210605_155215.jpg20210605_163426.jpg

I get protocol is protocol but if he is feeling fine and 100% asymptomatic why not let him go out alone with a marker who stays away at all times, no one else needs go near him and let him play, seems mad and the only reason I can think of is that they wouldn’t want to not be able to have the trophy presentation etc with all the sponsorship etc

^^^^ Has Rahm in fantasy golf picks. [emoji6]

Took delivery of these sexy bad boys yesterday evening - just looking down at them at address makes me feel like a proper golfer.

Could've done with them arriving 12 hours earlier as it might've saved me an absolute howler of a day in a Club Champs qualifier played in perfect conditions...

IMG_20210605_175955_2.jpg