Golfers Thread

Gaz

12 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

My home course have been in the process of installing ‘Black’ tees on the majority of the holes, most only set back 10-20 yards from the White but a couple of them add on a good 40 or 50 yards, and turns one from a long par 4 into a reasonable par 5. Playing off them tomorrow in a stableford competition so will see how I get on, my lowest score from the Whites has been 93 so I will do well to better that. 

Is this a common feature at other courses, having a set of tees further back than the Medal tees? I don’t think it’s something I’ve noticed before but I’ve not played that many courses either. There is only one par 5 from the White tees at my course, and none from the Yellows, so it looks like they have done this to fit another par 5 in. It seems they are still going to be using the Whites for Medals/comps so I don’t see how much purpose they serve. 

We've had black tees put in as well, but to be honest, there's only handful of holes that it adds more than 10-15 yards to.

Ladybank's Championship (Green) Tees add about 200 yards over 6 holes, and they're traditionally only in play for the Spring, Summer and Autumn Meetings and the Club Champs. They really do make 3 or 4 of the holes totally different, and in "old money" Standard Scratch take a par 71 which plays SSS 72 off the Whites to SSS 73 off the Greens. Often the CSS would go up to 74 or 75 when they were in play.

Of course, now that they have to be "in play" all the time under WHS (ie if they're listed on your card, you have to be able to play them any time), I do worry whether they will lose their allure slightly - it always felt like a wee treat to play off them 4 or 5 times a year, but I can now pitch up an play off them for a Casual Score (not that I'd actually ever do that unless I wanted to jack my handicap up...)

11 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Ladybank's Championship (Green) Tees add about 200 yards over 6 holes, and they're traditionally only in play for the Spring, Summer and Autumn Meetings and the Club Champs. They really do make 3 or 4 of the holes totally different, and in "old money" Standard Scratch take a par 71 which plays SSS 72 off the Whites to SSS 73 off the Greens. Often the CSS would go up to 74 or 75 when they were in play.

Of course, now that they have to be "in play" all the time under WHS (ie if they're listed on your card, you have to be able to play them any time), I do worry whether they will lose their allure slightly - it always felt like a wee treat to play off them 4 or 5 times a year, but I can now pitch up an play off them for a Casual Score (not that I'd actually ever do that unless I wanted to jack my handicap up...)

I suppose it does allow you a wee practice round in the week leading up to those comps though

Some day for it today. Been suffering with horrendous back pain the last couple of days so I had to pop a couple of cocodamol to make my 2pm tee time at my local but I’m really glad I did. Shot a career best 83 which included driving the green on the par 4 6th and lipping out for eagle. I just felt really confident over every shot. It was a nett -6 so safe to say I’m buzzing with it and have cracked a beer in celebration. 

Played leven links today but there was a wee bit of wind so that equals a shite course on the pep scale 
I use to be a member there, the wind can make it a tough day how did you get on at the 5th and 18th

7 hours ago, cas79 said:
14 hours ago, doulikefish said:
Played leven links today but there was a wee bit of wind so that equals a shite course on the pep scale 

I use to be a member there, the wind can make it a tough day how did you get on at the 5th and 18th

Play there a lot I'm considering joining next year and leaving balbernie and a 2 putt par on the 5 the and a lovely 6 on on the 18th 🤣

24 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Next weekend is the Porsche European Open, it would appear it will now be a 3 day event with a Monday finish, nothing from the European Tour yet though. The main sponsor has this on social media.20210528_080034.jpg

The European Tour has become quite innovative over the last couple of years. Rule nothing out...

The European Tour has become quite innovative over the last couple of years. Rule nothing out...
Delayed start due to Covid regulations for those arriving from the UK, except most of the field will be coming from Denmark.20210528_083818.jpg

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

Play there a lot I'm considering joining next year and leaving balbernie and a 2 putt par on the 5 the and a lovely 6 on on the 18th 🤣

Ladybank appear to have picked a few members up from Leven this year for some reason - clearly they don't want to play winter golf as Ladybank shuts at the first sign of frost... 🙄

10 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Ladybank appear to have picked a few members up from Leven this year for some reason - clearly they don't want to play winter golf as Ladybank shuts at the first sign of frost... 🙄

Yeah we have done away with the "reciprocal" fife rate at ladybank 

11 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

That was effectively the same as getting people to pay for a 3 and a half our advert to come join Ladybank... 😆

Quite the opposite as ladybank members used to come and play when they were closed