Golfers Thread

Gaz

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I like Rory. Hopefully this means he’s got beyond his obsession with trying to power play like DeChambeau. If he plays a controlled game he’s still a tremendous player.

I used to be a fan. I just feel like he likes the sound of his own voice a bit much these days. From a Ryder Cup point of view it would be good to see him get his form back though. 

Talking of unpopular, it was some effort from Bryson to get inside the top 10 considering he flew home on Friday thinking he'd missed the cut and had to fly back in the early hours of Saturday morning. 

Rory back up to 7th on the OWGR. Robert MacIntyre moved back up to 45th despite not playing at the weekend, he's back in action at the British Masters this Wednesday. Martin Laird up to 95th, and Calum Hill next best Scot at 135th.

Me and my mate were planning on doing a wee trip in my camper van later this year and playing both the Machrihanish courses and maybe squeezing in another round at a decent links course in that vicinity. Any suggestions for somewhere decent nearby that area that wont break the bank or be impossible to get a tee time for?

Me and my mate were planning on doing a wee trip in my camper van later this year and playing both the Machrihanish courses and maybe squeezing in another round at a decent links course in that vicinity. Any suggestions for somewhere decent nearby that area that wont break the bank or be impossible to get a tee time for?
Dunaverty, at Southend to the south of Campbeltown.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

If you could be bothered getting the ferry to Islay then Machrie looks brilliant. I’m planning that exact trip for some point during summer.

Was up the road for the first time since October at the weekend, so managed the first game round Golspie of the year yesterday morning, a very pleasing 82 in fairly strong winds, and an even more pleasing 5&3 beating of the old man. Course is immaculate as usual.

IMG_8917.jpg
IMG_8929.jpg

32 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

10 Scots in the field at the British Masters starting tomorrow at the Belfry. Won't see much of 6 of them on Wednesday as they tee off at 8.40am or earlier and Sky's live coverage isn't on air until 1.30pm.

I genuinely don’t understand why they can’t just show stuff all day. Even if it’s just featured morning groups. 

**Fantasy Golf Week 18**

paulmcginley-847-rosskinnaird-sm.jpg.c48cf86c63fb290230b3bc81277624b0.jpg

Guess who's back ?

With major season in full swing, a timely return to form for Rory McIlroy must have made at least one old man very happy. Granted it was at his favourite course, but he never missed a putt under 6ft all week and his work with a new swing coach is paying dividends, taking the DJ approach and just blocking out one half of the course. He's now firm favourite for next week's USPGA.

South Africans appear to be on their greatest sporting winning streak since Oscar Pistorious grabbed a handful of gold medals, let's just hope no ones girlfriend gets mistaken for a burglar trying to loot a European Tour trophy. Garrick Higgo appears to be an unstoppable winning machine and is now up to 51st in the world. Thoughts and prayers for @Tartan Dave who transferred Higgo out before the Masters and has now missed out on 124 points and counting.

Overall standings 

871 @J_Stewart

848 @die hard doonhamer

796 @alta-pete

792 @Tartan Dave

761 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

760 @Ro Sham Bo

731 @lichtie23

721 @peasy23

692 @Henderson to deliver .....

658 @Distant Doonhamer

529 @Honest_Man#1

@Distant Doonhamer the only man to have Rory in his team, makes a move to the top of the mini league standings.

The Race to Whistling Straits 

262 @Distant Doonhamer

236 @peasy23

230 @Ro Sham Bo

206 @Tartan Dave

206 @die hard doonhamer

200 @J_Stewart

166 @alta-pete

162 @lichtie23

134 @Henderson to deliver .....

126 @Honest_Man#1

96 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

fdfec400534d0e38d6d9750e710e568a--ryder-cup-golf.jpg.7f9a812babb9b593078d0d70d6fe0265.jpg

Before we get all excited for the years 2nd major, we have a half decent looking week of golf 1st. The Betfred British Masters hosted by Danny Willett takes place at the Brabazon course at the Belfry. The course needs no introduction, host of numerous tour events and 4 unforgettable Ryder Cups. A touch overrated because of this, it probably wouldn't make the top 20 UK parkland courses, although it probably has more water than any other UK inland venue. Our very own Boab MacIntyre is the bookies favourite.

TPC-Craig-Ranch-Home-Overview_1-Golf.thumb.jpg.77f0e27b547ae54311d15c03402956a7.jpg

The PGA Tour warms up for it's flagship event next week with the AT&T Byron Nelson named of course after one of the all time greats. TPC Craig Ranch in Texas is the venue, decent field as there's quite a few based in Texas. The course, a Tom Weiskopf design isn't anything special, known more for the excellent TPC facilities here. This will be a doddle, a nice easy warm up before next week, winning score between 25 and 30 under imo. Also, please restrain yourself from launching something at your TV after hearing the commentators pronounce Craig as Kregg for the hundredth time. Stoopid muricans.

096755725e244b2550bcadf33ad7b29c3572c7e3377c8daaa31487f044391795.jpg.100232e654940f879fc180fbfe0d0915.jpg

Managed 16 holes at Kemnay the night after work, so class getting to start at half 6 and nearly getting a full round in. Course is still very much in growth mode and the greens are still being worked on (which after Golspie at the weekend is a bit of a downgrade), but still very enjoyable. Scenery with Bennachie in the background is immense too

IMG_9019.jpg

IMG_9018.jpg

Played the Old Course this morning, and it was everything I hoped it would be and more. Found it such an enjoyable course to play even as a mid to high handicapper. Plenty short par 4’s where a straight drive could have you a wedge in, but the thing I enjoyed the most was playing little bump and runs across the slopes and greens. The pins seemed to be in favourable positions where a lot of shots naturally filtered down towards them. 

Birdied the 9th and lipped out for eagle on the 10th but had a couple of lost balls early on which resulted in me finishing with a round of 95, which I was over the moon about. Highlight was firing my drive straight over the Old Course Hotel roof onto the middle of the fairway on 17, and running a punchy 5 iron up the green. Played that hole so many times on the PlayStation, it was a surreal feeling to be doing it in real life. 

Only entered the ballot on Monday night on the off chance we got picked, but from speaking to the starter today he said anyone who entered it would have got a tee time due to the lack of tourists, but from next Monday it’s starting to get busier again. 

51D7AD31-E06F-4E31-8C2C-ED21FF75B1DB.jpeg

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Played the Old Course this morning, and it was everything I hoped it would be and more. Found it such an enjoyable course to play even as a mid to high handicapper. Plenty short par 4’s where a straight drive could have you a wedge in, but the thing I enjoyed the most was playing little bump and runs across the slopes and greens. The pins seemed to be in favourable positions where a lot of shots naturally filtered down towards them. 

Birdied the 9th and lipped out for eagle on the 10th but had a couple of lost balls early on which resulted in me finishing with a round of 95, which I was over the moon about. Highlight was firing my drive straight over the Old Course Hotel roof onto the middle of the fairway on 17, and running a punchy 5 iron up the green. Played that hole so many times on the PlayStation, it was a surreal feeling to be doing it in real life. 

Only entered the ballot on Monday night on the off chance we got picked, but from speaking to the starter today he said anyone who entered it would have got a tee time due to the lack of tourists, but from next Monday it’s starting to get busier again. 

51D7AD31-E06F-4E31-8C2C-ED21FF75B1DB.jpeg

How much were you for that mate?

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Haven't played the Old Course for a number of years. There really is something special about it IMHO. 

I suspect the lack of tourists has improved the pace of play as well as making for easier access.

Me and my mate played a best ball scramble at our local today and it was a right enjoyable round. It’s probably the first time I’ve experimented with playing something that isn’t the usual matchplay/stroke play/stableford and it felt like a different game at times. A lot of tactical play involved, especially when it came to putting and chipping, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Both of us were miles off it so plenty of scope to improve on our very disappointing 81. After we birdied the 1st and had a par on 2 and 3 we genuinely thought we were going to hit about a 72 😂 we’re blaming the wicked wind that kicked up on the 4th for the run of bogeys that followed. Hopefully the next one is a sunny day with a few beers in the bag.

41 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Haven't played the Old Course for a number of years. There really is something special about it IMHO. 

I suspect the lack of tourists has improved the pace of play as well as making for easier access.

Definitely something about the place. Everyone I spoke to before I went said it’s not the hardest course I will ever play by any stretch, but it’s just an absolute joy to go round. I can completely agree with that now. Even though I only walked off the 18th nine hours ago, the memories of today feel surreal, like something that happened in a dream. 

When I walk off a course I always have those one or two memorable shots that I played, but after letting that round today sink in I’ve got about 15 or 20 between me and my friend. I could probably recollect every single swing of the club tbh. Genuinely shots that I will never forget for as long as I live. 

My drive at the first was slightly right and I took out an 8 iron just to make sure I made it over the burn. I got a horrific contact that resulted in some blade/slice action that bounced just over the burn and ran to about 10 feet. To say I was buzzing crossing the burn as I looked towards my ball was an understatement. The birdie putt broke about 8 feet right which I missed but was left beside the hole for a tap in par and I walked off the green like prime Tiger Woods. Duffed my drive on the second, naturally, and lost my ball but from that point forward I went round without a care in the world happy that I had parred the first at St. Andrews. 

An Uncle took me to the Open in 2000 as a 10 year old and it’s a day I can still remember vividly. Getting lifted on top of a wheelie bin so I could get a glimpse of Tiger on one of the greens feels like it happened yesterday so I feel very privileged to play that same course today, a day I will remember for a long time.