Golfers Thread

Gaz

On the talk of handicaps, I was given an initial handicap of 19.4 after putting in my three scorecards. My lowest round was 92 and highest 111, so I’m unsure how they’ve came to that number, was expecting slightly higher. I would need to shoot a career best round just to get nett level par. My friend who I joined the club with was given 12.5, and he regularly beats me playing match play whilst giving me a shot on every hole. I have been told off others to wait until I have 20 rounds recorded to give a more accurate reflection. 

I’ve entered the competition on Saturday and received an email today that states :- Handicap Index - 19.4, Course Handicap - 20.9, Playing Handicap - 20. 

From reading up on how the WHS works I can understand that I have a handicap index that will take into account the course difficulty etc. and adjust the handicap accordingly, and I assume this is why my ‘course handicap’ is higher at 20.9. But what I don’t understand is how my ‘playing handicap’ is 20, when rounding either of the other numbers would come to 19 or 21. I’m probably missing something obvious but can’t seem to figure out how they have arrived at 20. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

On the talk of handicaps, I was given an initial handicap of 19.4 after putting in my three scorecards. My lowest round was 92 and highest 111, so I’m unsure how they’ve came to that number, was expecting slightly higher. I would need to shoot a career best round just to get nett level par. My friend who I joined the club with was given 12.5, and he regularly beats me playing match play whilst giving me a shot on every hole. I have been told off others to wait until I have 20 rounds recorded to give a more accurate reflection. 

I’ve entered the competition on Saturday and received an email today that states :- Handicap Index - 19.4, Course Handicap - 20.9, Playing Handicap - 20. 

From reading up on how the WHS works I can understand that I have a handicap index that will take into account the course difficulty etc. and adjust the handicap accordingly, and I assume this is why my ‘course handicap’ is higher at 20.9. But what I don’t understand is how my ‘playing handicap’ is 20, when rounding either of the other numbers would come to 19 or 21. I’m probably missing something obvious but can’t seem to figure out how they have arrived at 20. 

Your course handicap is 20.9. In a medal/stableford competition you get a playing handicap for the competition which is 95% of your course handicap.

95% of 20.9 is 19.8 which is rounded up to 20.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Your course handicap is 20.9. In a medal/stableford competition you get a playing handicap for the competition which is 95% of your course handicap.

95% of 20.9 is 19.8 which is rounded up to 20.

Cheers, good to know. Is there a particular reason they use 95% instead of your full handicap in competitions? Seems pretty pointless for the sake of 5% but again, I’m probably missing something. 

10 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Cheers, good to know. Is there a particular reason they use 95% instead of your full handicap in competitions? Seems pretty pointless for the sake of 5% but again, I’m probably missing something. 

Found this on frequently asked questions from Golf Ireland.

For competition purposes the 95% is required to balance out the increase in Course Handicaps of higher handicap players against that of lower handicap players. By applying the 95% adjustment on a course with a Slope rating of 130, a 36.0 Handicap Index player will have a Course Handicap of 41.4 (41) converted to a playing Handicap of 38.95 (39) but a 5.0 Handicap Index player will have a Course Handicap of 5.75 (6) converted to a Playing Handicap of 5.7 (6), therefore an adjustment is required for competition purposes.

FAQs Golf Ireland

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

5705664B-442E-42FD-A04F-47D7EEA43182.jpeg

On the WHS system if you haven't played the full 20 rounds then it counts a percentage of your rounds played, and I think it will only be counting your best one at the moment.

Edit: found the graphic with the percentages explained.Screenshot_20201215-152833_Chrome.jpg

Richie Ramsay, Connor Syme and Calum Hill all in a tie for 3rd in the Canary Island Open. Syme has had 4 eagles already this week. 

Unfortunately a couple of those pesky South Africans are also up there challenging. 

54 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Richie Ramsay, Connor Syme and Calum Hill all in a tie for 3rd in the Canary Island Open. Syme has had 4 eagles already this week. 

Unfortunately a couple of those pesky South Africans are also up there challenging. 

Great to see three Scots right in the mix. Grant Forrest also made the cut comfortably on 7 under meaning all four Scots in the field made the weekend.

Russell Knox comfortably in for the weekend in the Wells Fargo event on the PGA Tour too. 

Currently sitting on one under having completed his second round and lies tied 29th. Had got to 3 under which is currently tied 11th but a couple late bogeys dropped him back. Still well placed. Cut looks like being either one or two over. Lead is only 6 under currently.

Great to see three Scots right in the mix. Grant Forrest also made the cut comfortably on 7 under meaning all four Scots in the field made the weekend.
Russell Knox comfortably in for the weekend in the Wells Fargo event on the PGA Tour too. 
Currently sitting on one under having completed his second round and lies tied 29th. Had got to 3 under which is currently tied 11th but a couple late bogeys dropped him back. Still well placed. Cut looks like being either one or two over. Lead is only 6 under currently.
It's just moved to 2 over, bringing a lot of guys who were finished early and thought they had no chance back in. Currently 81 players in for the weekend.

Cut was finally at +2 and 78 players are in for the weekend. Only 20 players managed to shoot under 70 yesterday and most of them were early starters as conditions got tougher as the day went on.

Said in his interview that his drive shape now will be a fade, and that if he needs to hit a draw it will be with a 3 wood from now on.

Also pointed this out...

Hill has gone from 200th on the OWGR at the start of the year to 139th, decent run of form at the moment.

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

I played an 18 hole stableford in atrocious conditions this morning. I don’t mind playing in rain but 30 mph winds makes me never want to pick up the clubs again. 

Decided to bin my golf plans today as the forecast was dire.

Playing tomorrow. Looks like a better day for it.

18 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Hill two under through 9 and still one off the lead. Ramsay one shot further back. Syme 3 over through 10 holes today and has fallen to tied 35th and 6 shots back

The guy Arnaus who was one of the leaders hit two tee shots out of bounds on the par 5 third hole and took 9.