Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Bandits everywhere.

True, but 91 less 28 would've been met with a few rolled eyes, barbed comments and piss-takes.

91 less 54 is from a different planet though, and just adds fuel to the fire to those struggling to get to grips with some of the broader aspects of WHS. It's not a good look.

Someone has clarified on a page I follow that it’s a guy who was playing for his handicap so had been automatically assigned 54, but his round didn’t count towards the medal. Unsure if that’s legitimate but yeah some of the seethe it’s produced is absolutely delicious. Gammons foaming everywhere.

Someone has clarified on a page I follow that it’s a guy who was playing for his handicap so had been automatically assigned 54, but his round didn’t count towards the medal. Unsure if that’s legitimate but yeah some of the seethe it’s produced is absolutely delicious. Gammons foaming everywhere.
I know last year it happened at Bishopbriggs, the system won't let you book a time for a competition if you don't have a handicap, so the club gives you a figure until you have submitted 3 cards.

What are everyone's thoughts on the WHS now that it's been up and running for a wee while now?

I'm going to sound like a total luddite, but I'm going for "fucking shite". I preferred the old days of knowing exactly what you had to do to make buffer, roughly being able to work out what you'd be cut by after a decent round etc. 

10 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

What are everyone's thoughts on the WHS now that it's been up and running for a wee while now?

I'm going to sound like a total luddite, but I'm going for "fucking shite". I preferred the old days of knowing exactly what you had to do to make buffer, roughly being able to work out what you'd be cut by after a decent round etc. 

Too early to tell. It took a couple of years back in the day to get used to Buffer Zones and handicaps going up +1 or down by an amount determined by formula rather than the whim of the Match Secretary.

I'm not overly keen on the big fluctuations (I don't believe I went from a 6 handicapper to an 8 in 2 rounds, for instance), but that's probably a pride thing on my part rather than a flaw in the system.

With a bit of tweaking on the Apps (something like a "handicap predictor" after a score entry or an "at risk score/timeline" flag when checking in), the info about where we stand on the 1st tee/18th green could be more readily available rather than having to scroll through a score history and working things out from there.

I'm prepared to give it some time, while pointing and laughing at the inconsistencies the system throws up.

It's also given golfers plenty to talk about other than trading the limited lockdown stories that are onto the 6th or 7th retelling, if nothing else...

9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Do Glasgow not still require members to "do their time" at Gailes before being allowed to fully join Killermont? That's why I assumed they already had a CDH number.

1 hour ago, funky_nomad said:

Do Glasgow not still require members to "do their time" at Gailes before being allowed to fully join Killermont? That's why I assumed they already had a CDH number.

Nah don’t think so. My mate joined as a member a year or two back and could play both straight away. He is off +2 though so maybe exceptions if you’re one of the best players at the club.

5 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Have to say I like the new system. That’s quite possibly influenced by the fact I’ve gone down from handicap index 9.6 to 7.9 with some really good play in the last few weeks.
In terms of knowing what you’ll need to score on a particular day to avoid an increase or to go down it’s not that difficult once you think it through. Indeed you quite often get what is effectively a free hit if the oldest score of your 20 scores isn’t one of your best eight scores.

Edit to add. My best 8 score differentials from my last 20 cards are as follows:- 8.1, 2.9, 8.1, 7.2, 9.0, 9.2, 9.9 and 9.0.  Average of that being 7.9.

The 2.9 was an exceptional (for me) gross 74 a couple of weeks ago. It will remain in my most twenty recent scores for a while as it's currently 3rd most recent but inevitably it will stop counting at some point and generate a handicap increase. The final score of the above best 8 (9.0) is currently the oldest of my 20 scores so I'll need to match that next time out to avoid an increase.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

**Fantasy Golf Week 17**

1055136.jpg.f51ddf428d70635e6944cc2ffe3a3194.jpg

Sam Boo-urns

Sam Burns wins the Valspar and Keegan Bradley was 2nd. It's a boo from me though as Bradley would have been better content. Looks about 12 years old, has wee skinny legs and a funny swing. I'm trying to be mildly amusing for 46 weeks here, we're only on week 17. What does Burns give me ? Nothing, generic PGA golfer no.463.

Anyway, yet another South African won on the European Tour, they'll be wanting their own Ryder Cup team at this rate.

Standings 

839 @J_Stewart

814 @die hard doonhamer

788 @alta-pete

784 @Tartan Dave

757 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

744 @Ro Sham Bo

717 @peasy23

689 @lichtie23

654 @Henderson to deliver .....

592 @Distant Doonhamer

501 @Honest_Man#1

The Race to Whistling Straits 

232 @peasy23

214 @Ro Sham Bo

198 @Tartan Dave

196 @Distant Doonhamer

172 @die hard doonhamer

168 @J_Stewart

158 @alta-pete

120 @lichtie23

98 @Honest_Man#1

96 @Henderson to deliver .....

92 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

quail-hollow-5-597b839c054ad90011307e6e.thumb.jpg.75c00c3a319164114b4564d4dcc2e766.jpg

Quail Hollow this week for the Wells Fargo Championship. A popular design in the classical style and host to the 2017 USPGA won by Justin Thomas and also this years President's Cup. Perhaps a much needed return to form for 2 time winner and course record holder McIlroy ? After last weeks 'snakepit' finishing stretch (is there a council course in Scotland that has the 'jakepit' closing stretch ?) This week's last three holes are called 'the green mile' (pit).

The European tour is still in the Canary Islands, surrounded by big hitting South Africans, like some sunny, golfing groundhog day.

nelson-mandela-his-written-legacys-featured-photo.thumb.jpg.40a9e7ae78dd7ac6e048647e5f7e4e21.jpg

3 hours ago, expatowner1 said:

10 month 🏌️♀️🏌️🏌️♂️update. 🎉🎉🎉

213 rounds of golf completed at a touch under 5 rounds a week.  Our bodies and golfing handicaps have held up remarkably well under this onslaught, I started eight months ago on 8.6 and I’m now 7.4 and my missus started on 34.3 and is currently 28.5.

The maps show you our route. 

This past month: Carterton, Masterton, Mahunga, Castlepoint, Eketahuna, Cape Turnagain, Porangahau, Dannervirke, Takapau, Waipawa, Waipukurau, Onga Onga, Napier, Hastings, Maraenui, Wairoa, Mahia, Poverty Bay, Gisborne, Tolega Bay, Opotiki, Ohope and Whakatane. 

Nearly back in auckland.

08B8893D-B997-4B4E-8912-0B4AE42CC281.jpeg

92CE455C-7198-4655-978F-663232ADFE3F.jpeg

You are living the dream mate. 

6 hours ago, expatowner1 said:

10 month 🏌️♀️🏌️🏌️♂️update. 🎉🎉🎉

213 rounds of golf completed at a touch under 5 rounds a week.  Our bodies and golfing handicaps have held up remarkably well under this onslaught, I started eight months ago on 8.6 and I’m now 7.4 and my missus started on 34.3 and is currently 28.5.

The maps show you our route. 

This past month: Carterton, Masterton, Mahunga, Castlepoint, Eketahuna, Cape Turnagain, Porangahau, Dannervirke, Takapau, Waipawa, Waipukurau, Onga Onga, Napier, Hastings, Maraenui, Wairoa, Mahia, Poverty Bay, Gisborne, Tolega Bay, Opotiki, Ohope and Whakatane. 

Not jealous at all, not me, no way, no sirree...

A bumper Saturday for me - Spring Meeting at Ladybank in the morning (off the Black Tees - always a treat!), standard medal round at Tulliallan in the afternoon, then getting my first-ever club fitting in the evening in advance of ordering a whole new bagful of bats. I've only once owned a brand new set of clubs (I got given a set of Andy Bean Professional clubs for my 13th birthday, which ages me somewhat!) so it'll be interesting to see what difference proper use of technology might make to my game..