Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

My brother in law treated us to it so I’m not entirely sure mate. It’s some experience though you get given a pouch on the first tee box containing a scorecard, course guide, tees, pencil and ball marker. They have the practice range less than 100 yards from the clubhouse and putting/chipping green is literally just outside the clubhouse

E9E7CCB6-8C94-46FB-90E0-47266B50BCD3.jpeg

226067FB-7A19-4AFF-928B-E082E13A9844.jpeg

Still to play it. The set up and the stuff you get as well as the practice facilities sound very like Castle Stuart which I absolutely loved.

Keegan Bradley channeling his inner Finau. Stood on the 13th tee tied with Sam Burns for the lead on -17. 2 holes later he is 3 behind after he found the water on the par 3 13th and ended up with a 5, followed by Burns finding a birdie on 14.

Bradley in the bunker on 15.

Hovland hit a 65 and is 3rd which must be good for somebody else's fantasy team.

Both players miss their par putts, Burns leads by 3 as we enter the snake pit.

Imo courses who use terms like bear trap and snake pit should only be allowed to do so if there really are bears and snakes.

In Europe there were South African winners on both the main and challenge tours. Dean Burmester shot a closing 62 to win the Tenerife Open by 5 shots from Nicolai von Dellingshausen. Still a great result for the German with the €149k runners up prize eclipsing all his previous winnings.

Second tourney of the Challenge Tour season with the Cape Town Open. Ewen Ferguson was T3rd, Craig Howie was T14th following up a good 5th place at last week's Limpopo Championship.

The Canary Islands swing on the main Tour continues with the Canary Islands Championship, once again at Costa Adeje in Tenerife where the tourney was played at the weekend.

Challenge Tour continues in SA with the Dimension Data Pro Am.

On 01/05/2021 at 20:37, Central Belt Caley said:

My brother in law treated us to it so I’m not entirely sure mate. It’s some experience though you get given a pouch on the first tee box containing a scorecard, course guide, tees, pencil and ball marker. They have the practice range less than 100 yards from the clubhouse and putting/chipping green is literally just outside the clubhouse

E9E7CCB6-8C94-46FB-90E0-47266B50BCD3.jpeg

226067FB-7A19-4AFF-928B-E082E13A9844.jpeg

I do love a freebie golf goodie-bag (although "freebie" is pushing it if you've had to pay!). I'm still using a (pre-Trump) Turnberry ball marker/pitchmark repairer now.

My favourite freebie experience was at Renaissance where they had a second tee/pencil station tucked away in the middle of the course, at a hole where the (mandatory) fore-caddie was miles away from the tee on the lookout for errant balls - after behaving sensibly with just the usual handful on the way to the first tee, I was like a pig at a trough away from any judging eyes, and I'm still using those tees and pencils years later with ample supplies in reserve. It's the little things...

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I do love a freebie golf goodie-bag (although "freebie" is pushing it if you've had to pay!). I'm still using a (pre-Trump) Turnberry ball marker/pitchmark repairer now.

My favourite freebie experience was at Renaissance where they had a second tee/pencil station tucked away in the middle of the course, at a hole where the (mandatory) fore-caddie was miles away from the tee on the lookout for errant balls - after behaving sensibly with just the usual handful on the way to the first tee, I was like a pig at a trough away from any judging eyes, and I'm still using those tees and pencils years later with ample supplies in reserve. It's the little things...

How do you go about getting a round at the Renaissance? Thought it was fairly strict members only.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

How do you go about getting a round at the Renaissance? Thought it was fairly strict members only.

Drunken charity auction bid at an Edinburgh sports dinner a few years back - fourball at Archerfield, fourball at Renaissance, lunch at both. Clearly everyone else at the event had played it as I was the only bidder.... 😆

There are still very few individual members at Renaissance as far as I know - mainly corporate members. It's a cracking set up, and the signature hole along the coastline is fun to play, but there are far better courses in East Lothian.

I turned 50 in January, and my treat to myself was always going to be a new driver. Took the plunge and got a Cobra King Radspeed XB a fortnight ago. It's so much easier to hit than the Ping G10 draw that I was using. Hit some crackers with it in the two rounds that I've played, and some much shorter shots into greens than ever before. Hopefully give myself more chances to shoot lower numbers.

2 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I turned 50 in January, and my treat to myself was always going to be a new driver. Took the plunge and got a Cobra King Radspeed XB a fortnight ago. It's so much easier to hit than the Ping G10 draw that I was using. Hit some crackers with it in the two rounds that I've played, and some much shorter shots into greens than ever before. Hopefully give myself more chances to shoot lower numbers.

Did you get a proper fitting for it ?

Did you get a proper fitting for it ?
No, but I got some advice from a friend who is a pro. When I got fitted for irons everything was bog standard (shaft length, lie angle etc), and I know my swing isn't consistent anyway. My driver swing speed is around 90mph (had lessons last year and still have a note of some of the data) so he recommended I went for a regular flex shaft.

I hit 9 drives with it on Saturday, all of them good strikes and 6 of them found the fairway. 2 were slightly left and 1 sliced but was in play. The pick of the bunch was on the last, around 255 yards leaving me a wedge into the green which for once I flushed, setting me up for a 10 footer for birdie which I holed.